Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 buying advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 buying advice
    Posted: 21-November-2002 at 09:49

Hi,

I'm thinking of jumping ship from my golf GTi back to the BMW fold.

My target cars are either a 1. E30 235 sport, 2. 325 touring or 3. 325SE

any advice on buying these?

anyone want a 1996 Golf Gti?

cheers

Sponsored Links

Adam Garside View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2002 at 15:53

Hello,

325i Sport is a good sporty car, Touring is a good family motor and SE is full of goodies (electric everything)

Tips for buying all these are,

Make sure all the electrics work.

Check for accident damage(many E30's have ended up in bushes/ditches though a combination of rear-drive and unwary drivers).

If it has a sunroof, check the roof for rust because the drain channels cause rust to bubble under the paint round the sunroof.

If the engine sounds a little tappy when cold, don't worry to much, usually an oilchange and tappet adjustment solves this.

If its a sport model, check the Limited Slip Diff works, some have been replaced with a cheaper standard one.

Check interior trim for damage as some of the bits cost a fortune replace.

Hope this helps,

Adam.

www.geocities.com/little_log

Chris Shepherd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2002 at 17:13

Hello.

Having just bought a 325i se, i can say that i am very very happy with it( having come from a series 1 rst)

my only problem with it is that it is very tail happy in the dry but very scary in the wet. ive found out that this is due to it not having a limited slip diff.

nevermind. ill add it to the list!

On the other hand. i do feel like im in a luxury car with all those electric goodies.

so..what would you prefere?...more grip?...more comforts..?

oh..forget the touring bmw!

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2002 at 17:26

A Limited Slip Diff will make the back end go out more!

LSD's allow both rear wheels do spin at the same speed instead of the wheel with the least grip spinning and the other not spinning. It was a sort of early traction control device, the side effect is making the car go sideways easier.

This is the reason i want one. Ha Ha,

Wet roundabouts on the way home tonight!!

Adam.

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2002 at 11:20

Get an M3, you know you want one...

One's mother has an 325iSE and having driven I didn't find it a particularly sporting drive (definitely a nice car though), if it's fun you're after it has to be the sport or an M3 I'm afraid.

Chris Shepherd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2002 at 12:54

limited slipp diff means limited slip i.e less slide!!!

1 wheel actually spins quicker to compensate!!

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2002 at 13:19

Limited Slipp Diff means limited slip ie between the two wheels, both wheels recieve the same power as oppose to a normal diff where the wheel with the least grip spins up. 

If you where to go round a roundabout with a normal diff and hit the power the inside(right hand) wheel would spin and the other wouldn't,

however in a  car with an LSD, both rear wheels would spin causing the back to go out a lot easier than a car with a standard diff would.

MancRover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2002 at 14:47

I think you're wrong there Adam - what Chris has said is true, LSD actually allows the wheel that has the most grip to have more power (apply more torque), taking it away from the spinning wheel, giving the car more traction and therefore less slide.

For example, if you hit ice with one wheel, it would spin and the LSD would provide less power to the spinning wheel, transferring it to the wheel with more grip, allowing you to control the car better.

What would be the point of putting such a device on a sports car if it made cornering at high speeds less controlable?

try this link....

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm

Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the
other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2002 at 15:04

What i've been told by various rear-drive veterans is that the LSD is only put on sporty models ie 325i Sports, Sapphire Cossies, Corrola GT-Twincams etc. It is what is required to do proper donuts an go sideways in most conditions.

With a non-lsd car when that inside wheel starts spinning you cannot propel the car round the corner any faster. With an LSD equpped car the outside wheel still drives the car round the corner allowing faster cornering "on the ragged edge" it is a finer line between cornering fast and sliding with an lsd therefore it is suited to sporty drivers that can handle it.

Basicly adding a "Slipper"(LSD) will be a more nerve racking drive as the margin of error is smaller. A friend of mine has a 325i Sport (with LSD) and it is much more tail happy than my (non-lsd) 325i.

FrankNL-M3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2002 at 11:09

Check the 4 wheelarches for corrosion (and front and backside of them). Also for bubbles under the frontwindscreen. Or corrosion/water when you reach with your hand above the pedals, behind the dash. Use a screwdriver!! I didn't and paid the full price.

Repairs (welding) are very expensive. Wet footwells can be the result, or electricity problems in the dash, and/or fogged up windscreen.

jhoward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2002 at 13:20
So is LSD actually more dangerous for non-advanced (but still safe) drivers? I was going up a level in the car park at Heathrow and I lost traction turning the corner at 1,500 RPM!! Slightly terrifying characteristic this....
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2002 at 13:35
My Tip for anyone moving to a Rear Wheel Drive Car, especially something powerful like a 325i, book yourself on a skid pan course, when I worked in a bodyshop I lost count of the number of RWD cars that came in where no other cars had been involved. Lots of E36 Cabrios, Couple of 5-Series, even a E36 325TD Police Car. The course will pay for itself especially in this weather we're having!
Paul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2002 at 17:21

Ritch,

I have just bought a 325i Sport and can personally say that the rear end tends to step out more.  I have driven Jags and alike without the LSD and they have behaved differently.

All i can say is that this car deserves alot of respect, but go for the LSD and as you improve the more you can exploit it.

Only yesterday whilst applying some power from a pub car park, I exited in a cloud of smoke at a 45 degree angle, cant do that in the golf!

But i do agree that a day on the skid pan would be benificial to the likes of me or anyone else getting to know their new car (on the limit).

Does anybody know of any airfield days coming up local to the midlands area? 

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2002 at 21:31
If you do take the advice to buy an M3, suggest you download a buyers guide from www.sportscarguides.com first - saves making expensive mistakes ( Ok, it is my site !)
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2002 at 11:59

A limited slip diff reduces the occurances of "nuisance" power slides. However its real advantage is that it makes the resultant oversteer much more progressive and controllable - as such it can be the most important upgrade on an E30.

What many people also to do mention is that recovery is also easier. Due to the progressiveness, the chance of overcorrecting and fishtailing is reduced.

It is much, much safer as it takes a lot more power to break traction so it is less likely to step out - but when it does you can very easily control the extent of the slide with your right foot. With an open diff, breakaway is effected by traction at just one wheel - with the factors of bumps, suspension stiffness, roll angles, etc., playing havoc with the predictability of when it breaks way.

I have done this change over the summer on my 318is and would recommend it to anyone.

MancRover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2002 at 16:02

Adam,

I owe you an apology - what you have said re. LSD is quite correct.  I have done a bit more research and am led to believe what you said in your earlier posts is correct.  ;-)

MancRover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2002 at 16:04

not managed to get the back end of my 325iS out yet (had it 4 weeks) but expect with the winter nights drawing in and all....

Anyone know of skid pad courses in the Manchester area?

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2002 at 16:16

MancRover,

No Apology Needed, it's the idea of having a forum, I hope to learn as much as i can from any of the techie's because i plan on taking my 325i off the road to rebuild it sometime soon! The most complicated thing i've ever rebuilt was a tamiya radio control car!!

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2002 at 10:50
On the M3 front, if you want FREE  advice on buying one, go to the M-power forum and ask away...
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2002 at 12:11

Whilst I agree you can get free car buying advice from forums etc, you have to know the question, and no-one is going to sit down and give you 10 pages of detailed illustrated buying advice, covering a models full development with all changes year to year, guide prices etc for nothing.

If you are a novice or seasoned owner, and some owners have bought guides to cars they’ve owned for 10 years and learnt something new, then a mere fiver (with a portion going to your club) is nothing when buying a  Ł10-30k car. You’d pay fro a survey when you bought a house, so why not pay for information when you make the next biggest purchase of your life? The more information you can have the better in my view..but then I’m biased !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic