Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOriginal tyres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original tyres
    Posted: 02-December-2002 at 15:53

Does anyone know which make and model of tyre was originally supplied on the late 1980s e30s?

I heard it was the Pirelli P6000- is this right?

Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2002 at 16:31

My e30 bmw 318i came with P6000s from new, its a 1991 model. the size was 195/65 /14 but i've got new wheels now. I don't know when the tyre was intrduced though so i don't know when the E30 first had them.

cheers

jhoward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2002 at 16:33
Thanks for the reply- that must be it then. Wonder if they contributed to the car's oversteering tendency...
Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2002 at 19:05
Quote: Originally posted by jhoward on 02-December-2002
Thanks for the reply- that must be it then. Wonder if they contributed to the car's oversteering tendency...
You've not driven an E21 then?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2002 at 19:14

well i have avon Zv1s on my car now in 205/55/15 because they are not to expensive and because i get through then quite fast, the oversteer is much worst ( or better i.e more oversteer ) that the P6000s. The P6000s are a hard tyre that that lasts for ages but for some reason has very good grip. 

The softer compound tyres should be the best for grip  and worse for wear rate. And the rarder compound good for wear and not for grip. But quality of rubber varies hugely accross the range.

I think the P6000s are just very good quality rubber but they are expensive. I have tried continental premium contact ( the new one)which is a soft compoud tyre. exellent grip and good even break away i.e they don't just snap into under or overstreer. But they didn't do many miles.

Braking is quite interesting because the P6000s used to loose grip under braking and cause a lot of smoke in the dry but were good in the wet, the avons are average especially in the wet. contis were good.

choice of tyre can make a big difference to the car , you just have to keep tring different ones.  The mag Evo did a good test about 6 months ago on tyres i will fry to fing out which issue it was.

Cheers

Adam Garside View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2002 at 11:26

I'm running soft compounds (Goodyear F1's) on the front and whatever's cheapest on the rears (For some reason I seem to go through these quite quick! He He).

I had a set of Avon ZZ1's on the rear and they lasted about 3,000 Miles. Maybe it's just my style of driving  !?

Adam,

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic