Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbrake warning light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brake warning light
    Posted: 03-October-2008 at 01:02

My brake warning light came on a week or so ago, had the front brake pads changed as they looked pretty low, also changed the sensor and topped up the fluid, but the wanring light did not go out until yesterday, misteriously.

Are these cars so intelligent that they continue to montor for x amount of miles, or hours without a reset?

I am going to check the rear inners this weekend anyway, but can anyone explain the warning light going off?

ta

Pete.

Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2008 at 07:19
On my E36, the brake warning light comes & goes intermittently, due to a poor connection between the sensor & pad on the rear, I have just been too lazy to sort it out!
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2008 at 07:29

The chances are that if the car has gone X amount of miles with no brake fault, the car will realise its been fixed and the light will go out.

These cars have incredible processors in them, they even know how many times you open and close the doors (and for how long) and how long and how many journeys you have made.

Edited by Cambell
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2008 at 06:59
I'm not so sure they are that intelligent when it comes to brake pad warning lights, it should either re set or be re set when new pads are fitted, it's only a circuit that gets made.
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2008 at 17:36
If it was the orance clock type light that came on, it could have been to tell you to flush the brake fluid; comes on every 2 years.
autoelectrical View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoelectrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2008 at 20:47
Great spelling there dave !!!
"Auto Electrical Concepts"
Unit 7 Royal Rock
Ballybane
Galway

The right tool for the job is always an "M"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic