Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 08:20

It really depends on what you want.

It's easy enough to select the correct turbo(s) for an engine once you've decided on how much power you want.

If you look at the compression ratio of the 325i, it's only 9.7:1 which is low by modern standards (compared to 10.4:1 for the Peugeot Mi16 Turbo engine I'm building) which means it can take a reasonable amount of boost without problems.

The fuelling and ignition can be the biggest problems if done wrong, hence the mappable ECU and session on the rolling road to get it all perfect.

Intercoolers are dirt cheap on e-bay (around £40 for one of the excellent Cosworth ones).

Also, for a daily runner, forged pistons are pretty useless due to the excessive piston-bore clearance required which means you need to start up and warm up before you can drive away, further lowering your efficiency.

Then there are factors like lowering the CR unnecessarily wil drastically reduce your fuel mileage, whether on or off boost.

Not including engine prep (by which I mean getting the lump up to a good, standard condition) you can easily build a very effective low boost system for around £1500 which buys you an extra 70ish bhp (at 6psi) taking the output of a 325i up to a meaty 240bhp.

It's tempting no?

If anyone like old cars with big BMW engines, take a look at www.gt6.org.uk
sign the guestbook, you know it makes sense!
Sponsored Links

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 23:00

Originally posted by GT6-M3 GT6-M3 wrote:

Turbocharging needn't be expensive

Yea but it is if it's done right!

As I found out (I didnt do it mind you) cause AVA wanted 5-6k and the car for 2 months, over christmas.

GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 21:30

Or I could just run about 5-6 psi for about a 35% gain, leave all the engine internals as they are (albeit new items), find out if the car runs batch or sequential injection as standard and only replace the injectors if it's sequential, and then buy the ECU for about £550 and then get it all mapped by its makers for £200 (all plus Vat)

Turbocharging needn't be expensive

chasseur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 20:03
So are you going to lower the compression ratio , then use drop forged pistons ,not forgeting to strengthen replace the gudgeon pins( terrible things can happen if not) then upgrade the Crankshaft & balance the engine ,ie: pistons exact weight, fit a race head gasket etc.Then you'll have to find a ecu just for the turbo's & you'll probably have to fit an extra set of injectors when its on boost & use the O.E.'s for normal use, knock sensor for that full boost moment & ya ya ya aye tell you what why not just buy a 540 manual/M5/M3 & have done with it?/
GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2004 at 17:18

Hello!

I've recently bought an E30 325i which I'm intending to slowly improve to make it handle a bit better.

I'd also like a bit more power out of it and was wondering if anyone's done a turbo conversion of this engine.

I've got a pair of Garrett T25s from a Skyline which should do the job nicely and an aftermarket engine management system from Emerald only costs around a grand fully mapped.

Any other ideas chaps?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic