Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chris Bangle, absolute genius or destroyer of BMW?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChris Bangle, absolute genius or destroyer of BMW?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2007 at 09:57

Oh yeah - I forgot the X cars - X5 is nice but a bit of a lump - new one looks a belter in photos and, dare I say it, I like the X3!

And I think the next X car - the X6 - will be a total copy of the ssangyong

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Sponsored Links

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2007 at 09:46

i think the new 5 series is a blend of the sporty look of the e34 and the elegant lines of the e39, and looks a peach,

the e46 is nicer on the eye then the current 3 series.

The 1 series is a good looking car.

x3 useless as a 4x4

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2007 at 09:05

From a personal standpoint, I would much rather have a 2001 E38 740I than a new 2006 E?? 745I. I think that the E38 has an timeless and perfect design. It does not look too big or leary and lookes racy and refined enough to pull of the fact that it is a well built, German Autobahn basher bought by people who want to be moved from one side of the country to the other, in absolute comfort at 140MPH ...

The new 7 does not do that. There is way to much to think about when driving the car...to the point that it becomes annoying to drive! I have had he lucky chance to ride in a new 7 and the interior has way too much going on. The interior is also starting to weather a lot quicker than the E38. Many new ones I have seen, the buttons are all scratched and the coating is wearing off them! The new 7 does not feel like an extension of the driver...not like a previous generation BMW!!!

Oh yes...and the styling is horrid...looks too lumpy  

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2007 at 08:22

I'm very pro Bangle. The 7 is still a bit ungainly I think. The 6 took a while for me to come around to, but I'm appreciating its sense of proportion more & more and am now a big fan. The 5 is really nice, the 3 saloon is ok, but the estate & coupe are fantastic, the 1 is also fantastic, & the Z4 is drop dead gorgeous.

I think the Bangle era cars show the competition up. Whether you consider the competition 'classical' or 'dated' depends on whether you consider Bangled BMWs ugly or not.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2007 at 07:49

Dear 635CSI,

I think it's perfectly OK to re-open debates.

I think the BMW's of the 90's (E34, E36, E38, EOhwhatever the 8Serieswas) had a classical handsomeness that is certainly gone. This line, I think, culminated in the E46; an extremely well proportioned car.

I think even Bangle would agree that these cars had cleaner, less fussy, lines. Bangle pushes the envelopes of thinking and for that he should be congratulated, even if it isn't always successful from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Anyway, the sales figures speak for themselves from a corporate standpoint so he must be doing something right.

Larzyh.

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2007 at 23:44
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

great idea....... not had a CB thread for ---oooooo--- ages!

here's a couple of old ones to give you inspiration!

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7986& ; ; ;KW=bangle

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=14609&am p;am p;am p;KW=bangle

Ok this thread is officially pointless then!! I actually never knew there was already dispute about Chris Bangle but still, you have to give me credit for the idea or at least for trying.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2007 at 23:10

great idea....... not had a CB thread for ---oooooo--- ages!

here's a couple of old ones to give you inspiration!

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7986& ; ;KW=bangle

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=14609&am p;am p;KW=bangle

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2007 at 23:05
Since barely anybody posts new threads regularly on this forum I felt I should get one going.

What do people think of Chris Bangle's designs in general? Does anybody think he has destroyed BMW design or has he put BMW in the right direction?

What sparked off my idea for this thread was from comparing the E39 to the E60 and noticing how faultless the E39's styling was and how ugly the E60 can look from some angles. IMO the post 2001 facelift E39 looks newer than the E60 because the E60's design hasn't aged well at all IMO, it shows how perfect the E39 was.

Everybody on this forum please state whether they love or loathe Chris Bangle's design.

Thanks,
635CSi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic