Message Reverse Sort Order
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evo3 engine blueprints
    Posted: 11-October-2005 at 04:05
Originally posted by John-M3 John-M3 wrote:

thanks. those were 8500 rpm shifts, but I backed off near the top of 4th gear/begin of 5th as it was a bit faster than the speed limit there :). for some reason is doesnt sound in real life like it does on the video. its louder and more intense.  everything always looks slow on video too, even if you are doing 200 kmh, it looks slow.  Im going to experiment with a remote cam soon, perhaps it will look faster if the cam is closer to the pavement :))

for a passenger ride you are welcome if you are ever at the Ring.

John

Cheers John, I'm hopefully going early next year, so will keep an eye out for you!

A good place for the camera would, I would think, be behind the kidney grill, you should be able to get a good sense of speed, hear the engine as it screems past 8000 rpm, and then hear the windnoise build as you fly past 200kph!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 18:20

thanks. those were 8500 rpm shifts, but I backed off near the top of 4th gear/begin of 5th as it was a bit faster than the speed limit there :). for some reason is doesnt sound in real life like it does on the video. its louder and more intense.  everything always looks slow on video too, even if you are doing 200 kmh, it looks slow.  Im going to experiment with a remote cam soon, perhaps it will look faster if the cam is closer to the pavement :))

for a passenger ride you are welcome if you are ever at the Ring.

John

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 18:04

Thats great John  I hope that wasn't my passenger ride?

That engine note is fabulous!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 17:14

I was out today and did a short little acceleration video:

john.gmstech.de/video/airbox4.wmv

it was against the sun so a bit dark.

John

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 16:50
Just to clear things up, I have a sport evolution with the 254S1 engine which has mistakingly had a 2.3ltr crank fitted. Everything else in the engine is as standard evo3 (254S1).  
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 16:48

Uwe, not that its too important, but we are talking about changing the crank only; nothing else. so if the crank has 3 mm less stroke, it means the piston is 1.5 mm lower down ALL ELSE EQUAL. I dont understand why you are adding up other parts dimensions, unless you are assuming he has other parts? It sounds like that is what you are assuming.

John

Yes you are right. I got a bit carried away with the 0.75mm the piston sticks out of the liner. That has of course nothing to to with the length of the assembly.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 16:35

Uwe, not that its too important, but we are talking about changing the crank only; nothing else. so if the crank has 3 mm less stroke, it means the piston is 1.5 mm lower down ALL ELSE EQUAL. I dont understand why you are adding up other parts dimensions, unless you are assuming he has other parts? It sounds like that is what you are assuming.

John

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 15:04

Thanks Uwe and John!

I know the crank has to come out, and it will as soon as my new one arrives. As 215dmx said before - just right for turbocharging!

If it wasn't a sport evo, then maybe that is what I would have done. But it 'aint, so like you say Uwe, that crank has to come out, and wrapped around the head of the owner who rebuilt it or L&C who supplied it in the first place. It may have better effect if it were tossed through thier showroom window!  JOKE!

I'll do a compression test and dyno the car next week, and post the results on here. I can only give kw/bhp power at road wheel figures though.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 13:31

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

2.25mm down the bore? Is this because the 2.5 piston is 0.75mm shorter from the centre of the gudgeon pin to the crown of the piston than the 2.3 piston? Also I thought bore sizes between the two were different too??

that assumes a 2.3 piston was installed which I dont believe it is as you have a 95.0 mm bore? so I think you have a 95.0 mm piston in there. 

some simple math apply here.
Look at the drawing I have posted.
2.3 crank in OT = 42mm
conrod = 144mm
height of piston centre pin to crown (95mm piston NOT 94.3) = 30.75mm
42+144+30.75 = 216.75mm in OT from centre crank to piston crown.
The 2.5 assembly is 219mm long - 216.75mm = 2.25mm LESS
2.25mm on a 95mm bore is approx 16ccm
My rough calculation (based on a 10.5 compression to start with) works out he is only having something around 8.5 CR!
But whatever it is in reality, THAT CRANK NEEDS TO COME OUT!!!!
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2005 at 06:56

2.25mm down the bore? Is this because the 2.5 piston is 0.75mm shorter from the centre of the gudgeon pin to the crown of the piston than the 2.3 piston? Also I thought bore sizes between the two were different too??

that assumes a 2.3 piston was installed which I dont believe it is as you have a 95.0 mm bore? so I think you have a 95.0 mm piston in there. 

yes to your CR question.  it is a rule of thumb.  It is probably not accurate if you deviate by a large amount from the intended CR. e.g. if you used 8:1 instead of 10.5:1, or 14:1 insteado of 10.5:1

for a given engine, there is an optimal location of the main "peak pressure pulse" which occurs after initial combustion. This is located some degrees after TDC  ideally near where there is maximum mechanical advantage.   The air-fuel mixture burns at an exponential rate in time.  This depends on the type of gas/octane, cylinder pressure and temperature  AND rpm.  so your ignition advance is just the amount needed to start the fuel mixture burning early enough so that the main pressure pulse reaches the piston somewhere near maximum mechanical advantage.  If cylinder pressure and temperature are disregarded for the moment, the burn-rate of the fuel is mostly contant, so as RPM goes up we have less and less time to burn the fuel, therefore we have to increase ignition advance. Now when we open the throttles & the cams are online, we will increase the amount of air-fuel mixture that is then compressed resulting in higher cylinder pressure. To accomodate this, we have to reduce the ignition advance, as the mixture under higher pressure will burn faster. This way you again have the peak pressure pulse somewhere near maximum mechanical advantage on the piston.  Intake temperature and cylinder head temperature also have an effect. Generally, we'd like to keep things cooler. e.g. have your water temperature near 80C for max power, have cold spark plugs to pull as much heat out of the cylinder head as possible, etc. Compression ratios lead to change in efficiency and local temperature (as well as a shift in the by products-->emmissions).

Point of all this is that there is more to it than simply increasing compression ratio... many factors that ultimately may or may not lead to a power increase

John

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 16:56

rule of thumb on CR  for every full point gain, you get about 3%.

assumes its not pinging and your mapping takes advantage of it.

John

Do you mean a full one compression ratio, ie a 11:1 will give 3% more than 10:1? Obviously with some mapping to stop detonation.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 16:51

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

You kidding me!

I am sorry but actually the piston is 2.25mm down, not 1.5

I still don't believe this has happened. OMG!

It has happened! I can't believe its happened either. I only wished I knew about the nut/bolt thing before I bought the car. The engine numbers are certainly correct though and don't look as though they have been messed with. Part number of crank fitted is 11 21 1 310 618 which I am sure its a 2.3 crank. It couldn't be a 2.0 crank surely?  I am sure though that the owner who rebuilt the engine had no intention of fitting the wrong crank, and I suspect it was the supplying dealer who got it wrong and the owner was none the wiser? Trust me, I want the correct parts in my engine!

You would have to drive the car (and your welcome to) to believe how well it does actually go considering how far down thebore the pistons are from where they should be. Its only on light to 3/4 throttle where it feels as though its holding back. I was going to get the chip ignition timing advanced up 4-5 degrees throughout in an attempt to make the engine livelier. Pointless now I am changine the crank for the right one anyway. 

Edited by SHEPSM3
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 15:13

rule of thumb on CR  for every full point gain, you get about 3%.

assumes its not pinging and your mapping takes advantage of it.

John

John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 14:04

Hey Uwe, I just plugged the numbers into a little calculation program I have.  So I may have made a mistake.  But, I assumed all things are the same, just the crank changes.  Not comparing to a 2.3l setup with 2.3l pistons. so for the comparo: the rods are 144.0 mm in both cases.  the piston is the same 95.0 e3 piston in both cases.  so if we have case a) 84 mm crank and case b) 87 mm crank, the piston in case a) should be 1.5 further down the bore compared to case b), right?

thanks for posting the schematic.  where did you get the block deck measurements from?  218 and 218.25 mm?

just an observation: in the e3 piston with compression height 30.75 mm and dish depth 0.75 mm, my piston if machined flat (e.g. no dome) would have 30.66 compression height and no dish.

John

jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 13:48
Brings back memories from when I was racing.I had an Triumph 2.5 pi with a TR6 engine that we used to tow with.
I gave it to my dad who fried the engine.SoI bought a short block from a firm called king of Lee and had a friend fit it.
It changed hands a couple of times between racer friends and eventually found its way to the guy that used to build my engines.On stripping it he rang to say it had 2 litre pistons fitted,instead of the 2.5 ones,and how come no one had noticed as the pistons were miles down the bore No wonder it was down on power.

Jon
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 05:09
You kidding me!

I am sorry but actually the piston is 2.25mm down, not 1.5

I still don't believe this has happened. OMG!
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 19:01
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Anyone know what my compression ratio would be with a 2.3 crank fitted to my 2.5 engine? I have been trying to work it out, but its doing my head in!

with which pistons?????

Uwe, 2.5ltr pistons. My engine is definately an evo3 engine, except when the engine was rebuilt by a previous owner, they fitted the 2.3 crank. All other parts, ie piston rings, inlet and exhaust valve were all for the 2.5ltr. There is an invoice in the file I have a couple of days after the crank was supplied which is for the nut to hold the front pulley on. IDIOTS! calm!

1.5mm down the bore at TDC must mean alot of compression pressure lost I would have thought. I have still yet to dyno the car to see what power it is putting out with that crank. But it feels alot more powerfull than the 160 it had when I got it!

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 15:44

Uwe, I dont know. I thought we were just talking aber a theoretical 84 mm crank in the evo3 block with standard 95.0 mm pistons. rod length 144 mm the same in either case. In such case, we should see around 9.8:1.

John

I am still curious how you came to 9.8 as a result. I have played a bit on CAD for Karim to see how low he could get Compression with 95mm pistons on a 84mm crank.
And that was somewhere close to 9 or even less, can't remember. Imagine how much lower that piston will be.

I dig the model out if you liketo see it.

John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 14:01

Uwe, I dont know. I thought we were just talking aber a theoretical 84 mm crank in the evo3 block with standard 95.0 mm pistons. rod length 144 mm the same in either case. In such case, we should see around 9.8:1.

I do not see a reason to install an 84 mm crank in the evo3 block.  evo3 cranks are cheaper than 2.3l cranks (or atleast when I checked some time ago).

Roops, I have no experience with Kempower. They may be good. I have to say, since I am in Munich I have access to pretty good machinists, e.g. people that worked for BMW Motorsport for 30 years and can still get a head done like they were done for DTM, because he is one of the SAME guys that worked on them. If I want my block bores+honed, then I have the guy in Bad Tolz that did DTM blocks, if I need an exhaust system, I have 2 people in Bad Tolz that make exhausts. etc.

John

lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 08:15
John-M3, any experience of Kempower ? Just interested as they make great claims on their web site but I don't know anyone with first hand experience.

Rgds

Roops
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic