Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chris Bangle, absolute genius or destroyer of BMW?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChris Bangle, absolute genius or destroyer of BMW?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chris Bangle, absolute genius or destroyer of BMW?
    Posted: 26-April-2007 at 07:43

Looks ready to go head-to-head with the masterstroke that is the Mercedes CSL; nice to see big cars getting sleeker instead of the rather lumpy, current, 7series and S-class.

Larzyh.

Sponsored Links

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 23:19
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

Yes but they have priced it out of it's own sector do you
not agree??

Maybe. Anybody who wants to buy one would just finance it for a little
longer. But I think that a lot of people going in to buy one would drive out in
an X5 because it works out better value for money when you take in resale
value after 3-5 years. But this anomoly will be cancelled out by the new,
bigger and more expensive X5. And having only seen a new facelifted X3 up
close a few days ago, I think many more buyers will go for it now. Looks a
lot better with the new bumpers. Also it has the advantage of the 2.0 diesel
so it's the eco friendly way to go.

Even with the facelift, the X3 is still a very poor car and I'm sure since the Freelander II has been launched competition will be alot tougher.

The new X5 looks very much like the old one in profile but with a few added creases, that's the one thing I very much dislike about it. Why would you want to design a car with creases?? It looks messy but overall it would be my chioce between that and an XC90 if I was plumpng for an SUV. Oh and maybe a Range Rover too, that new Twin Turbo diesel engine is sweet!
uoi1772 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uoi1772 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 22:59
Someone mentioned earlier, about having to push the envelope in terms of design etc,. I think thats true to a certain extent. But for me BMW is all about cars with a sporting nature, subtle change, discreet but powerful looks with rock solid engineering, thats what attracted my family to them in the first place. I think Bangle has moved BMW away from that ethos to his own in terms of aesthetics anyway. I dont think any of the new range grabs you in the way the 5 series E34 & E39, 3 series E36, 7 series E38 and 8 series E31 do. I think he calls it the 'flame' design but no for me it just doesn't work!  
Diesel Power
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 18:33

Yes but they have priced it out of it's own sector do you
not agree??

Maybe. Anybody who wants to buy one would just finance it for a little
longer. But I think that a lot of people going in to buy one would drive out in
an X5 because it works out better value for money when you take in resale
value after 3-5 years. But this anomoly will be cancelled out by the new,
bigger and more expensive X5. And having only seen a new facelifted X3 up
close a few days ago, I think many more buyers will go for it now. Looks a
lot better with the new bumpers. Also it has the advantage of the 2.0 diesel
so it's the eco friendly way to go.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 18:15
Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

here are pics of the new cs concept

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16177

Flipping gorgeous!

I love the sharknose and if you look in the interior you will notice the angled dashboard has made a return.

I'd say it will rival the CLS but it also previews Adrian Von Hooydonk's new design direction. Me like very much!!!
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 12:43

here are pics of the new cs concept

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16177

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2007 at 17:45

The X3 is there to fill a gap. Mainly women with maybe one or two kids who
want a small SUV with the badge. Instead of having to buy another
RAV4 or God forbid having to spit on your driveway by buying a Hyundai
Santa Fe. Could you imagine what the neighbours would say?

Yes but they have priced it out of it's own sector do you not agree??
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2007 at 16:47
The X3 is there to fill a gap. Mainly women with maybe one or two kids who
want a small SUV with the badge. Instead of having to buy another
RAV4 or God forbid having to spit on your driveway by buying a Hyundai
Santa Fe. Could you imagine what the neighbours would say?
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2007 at 17:23
[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.  Its ill proportioned, odd in style and not even a nice vehicle to drive.  A colleague of mine has one, in 2.0d form, and it is quite simply a hideous thing in every respect.  I cannot look at it without thinking what went wrong in the design process.  The new X5 has thankfully not suffered the same fate, with the ridiculous rear quarter panel/windows of the X3 being rectified in the design of the X5.

In fact my dealer once fed my dislike for the X3 by telling me how little thought some of their owners put into the purchase.  This was due to the fact he had just taken an order for a 3.0d....specified with options to such an extent that it took the car to over £41,500.  What!!!  He commented that he tried to get the buyer to switch to an X5 but he was insistent on wanting every single toy he could in it.  In the words of the salesman "When he comes to change it, I hope to god I'm not the person who has to tell him the trade-in price."

[/QUOTE]

The X3 is a horrible, horrible car and not worthy of the BMW badge.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2007 at 17:21
[/QUOTE]

Nice cars - but whatever you do, don't buy a FWD variant.  Make sure its Quattro.  I have a FWD A4 Avant and it is possessed by the worst ESP system known to mankind.  It is truly awful.

[/QUOTE]

I'd love a Quattro, but they are very hard to come by even in Saloon variant in this country. I'd have to go to the UK and I don't want all that hassle. I've driven a FWD variant and I thought it was grand but not as composed as the 330Ci I had a go of but I still prefer the A4.
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2007 at 14:56

THE PITS WROTE:

[/QUOTE] which is a bit of a contradiction if you pause and think about it ....

[/QUOTE]

Not at all - you can get more bang for your buck, but despite being underpowered compared to competition from others, the Porsche still beats them. Why? Because it is a 100% Porsche!

Applying your own logic, you could say that a BMW without a 6cylinder engine simply isn't a BMW, so go buy a Passat instead.

Edited by T.J.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2007 at 13:28

Originally posted by BM Fan BM Fan wrote:

The only one I do not like is the X3, it just doesn't seem to fit for some reason. I don't really know what its supposed to be as its not a full size SUV and its not an estate car. It strikes me as something that the marketing department decided was need to fill a gap and has missed the point.

Couldn't agree more.  Its ill proportioned, odd in style and not even a nice vehicle to drive.  A colleague of mine has one, in 2.0d form, and it is quite simply a hideous thing in every respect.  I cannot look at it without thinking what went wrong in the design process.  The new X5 has thankfully not suffered the same fate, with the ridiculous rear quarter panel/windows of the X3 being rectified in the design of the X5.

In fact my dealer once fed my dislike for the X3 by telling me how little thought some of their owners put into the purchase.  This was due to the fact he had just taken an order for a 3.0d....specified with options to such an extent that it took the car to over £41,500.  What!!!  He commented that he tried to get the buyer to switch to an X5 but he was insistent on wanting every single toy he could in it.  In the words of the salesman "When he comes to change it, I hope to god I'm not the person who has to tell him the trade-in price."

As for washing the car, well I've just cleaned all my carpets (beige, and thank god for a VAX otherwise I'd be on my 10th set now), done all the leather, hoovered the hood and the insides, and am now about to give it a quick wash before applying a second coat of Pinnacle Souveran (second as I did do last week) in preparation for some proper meet/run/hood-down fun tomorrow.  Perfect weather for it.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

BM Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2007 at 11:38
Saturday morning and I thought I'd drop in and see what was happening. Reading through this thread, got me thinking, in the last few years there have been very few new standard cars that I have really liked the look of straight away. This includes the one I recently changed to - it is not the most stylish looking from the outside, bit of a "lump" really, its not the worst but its not going to win any beauty pagent, its the type of thing that you would walk past and not take much notice.

The exception to this rule would be the new Ferrari, Porsche, exotics etc and thats probably because the changes that they make are very subtle. In some cases, particularly the two mention brands above its difficult to distinguish each subsequent model from the other. The design seems to evolve very slowly and in a traditional manner as opposed to other marques making dramatic leaps.

At this stage most on the Bangle creations have grown on me, agreed that in most cases its the wheels that define whether the car looks right or wrong.  I have seen as many new 3 convertibles at this stage as coupes and they seem to be stacking up well in the looks terms. The roof makes them a little less obvious from the standard coupe but on first impressions I think they'll grow on me as well.

To me one of the most radical models to come out recently was the 6 and possibly that has to do with the fact that there was a gap of sorts, from the first 6, then a jump to the 8 and then a new 6.  For that reason I love the latest 6, it was a bold and major jump. Creating a bit of a love hate thing.

The only one I do not like is the X3, it just doesn't seem to fit for some reason. I don't really know what its supposed to be as its not a full size SUV and its not an estate car. It strikes me as something that the marketing department decided was need to fill a gap and has missed the point.

All in all I like the Bangle look, it takes a little getting used to but for me the designs work well and are dynamic and bolder than teh majority of wind tunnel design formula that we see on the roads everyday.

Now to decide it I will wash the lump outside or not??????
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 23:29

Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Boxster (only bought by people that can't afford a Real Porsche)?
Boxster, many would now argue that its the fool that buys the 911 when you can have 80% of the car for half the price...

but I wouldn't want only 80% of a Porsche - I'd want all of it.........

a (convertable) Jag, SL, 911 or M3 ???

you're having a laugh  

I agree and maintain my earlier point that convertibles, on the whole, don't suit blokes.  The M3 is just a very compromised Coupe.  As I discovered.

so, at least we agree on something!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 23:21

MX-5? Boxster (only bought by people that can't afford a Real Porsche)?

The MX-5 is the best drivers car I have ever owned.  It wipes the floor with the M3's I have owned.  Utterly destroys them for driver enjoyment and experience.

As for the Boxster, many would now argue that its the fool that buys the 911 when you can have 80% of the car for half the price...

The latest generation Boxster is a superb car.

you're having a laugh  

I agree and maintain my earlier point that convertibles, on the whole, don't suit blokes.  The M3 is just a very compromised Coupe.  As I discovered.

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 23:18

Well I'm trying to find the right A4 Cabrio at ther moment so soon I'll be on of those to**ers with the hood down when I find the right one!

Nice cars - but whatever you do, don't buy a FWD variant.  Make sure its Quattro.  I have a FWD A4 Avant and it is possessed by the worst ESP system known to mankind.  It is truly awful.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 22:55

Originally posted by T.J. T.J. wrote:

Ah come on! Boxster only bought by people who can't buy a real Porsche?!? These Clarkson-esque soundbites are such a load of BS.
but oh so true .......  if you want a Porsche, buy a 911, if you can't afford one - buy a BMW instead!

Originally posted by T.J. T.J. wrote:

It's a real Porsche - it wipes the floor with all the competition day in day out since it was created, despite it being underpowered half the time.
which is a bit of a contradiction if you pause and think about it ....

But don't care.
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 22:27

Ah come on! Boxster only bought by people who can't buy a real Porsche?!? These Clarkson-esque soundbites are such a load of BS.

It's a real Porsche - it wipes the floor with all the competition day in day out since it was created, despite it being underpowered half the time.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 21:51

I wouldn't agree there. There are plenty of good sports convertibles that suit men as well as women.....an MX-5, Z3 (with an engine; not this 1.9 rubbish), Z4, S2000, Boxster, 911, Jag, SL, and M3 would and should be considered mens cars. 

I'm sorry? Have I missed something?

MX-5? Boxster (only bought by people that can't afford a Real Porsche)?

Z4, S2000 ??

Mens Cars????

you're having a laugh  

But don't care.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2007 at 21:18

Thats soooo true.  Most men certainly don't suit
convertibles.

I wouldn't agree there. There are plenty of good sports convertibles that suit
men as well as women. The Ford Ka, Mini, VW Beetle, Citroen C3 etc etc are
for Girls. But an MX-5, Z3 (with an engine; not this 1.9 rubbish), Z4, S2000,
Boxster, 911, Jag, SL, and M3 would and should be considered mens cars.
The huge array of family convertibles ala Audi, 3 Series, 6 Series, CLK, VW
Eos etc are more of a grey area. I suppose they just show that you're a
successful family man, or a married to one. (I know some women may
choose to buy one themselves but mostly they would buy the smaller ones if
they were single). Convertibles are good fun. Buy one and enjoy it I say.

Well I'm trying to find the right A4 Cabrio at ther moment so soon I'll be on of those to**ers with the hood down when I find the right one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic