FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmiddle lane drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: middle lane drivers
    Posted: 18-January-2005 at 17:28

im sorry but im going to have a rant!.After a drive out to kent on sunday i have noticed a fashion occuring on our roads,on a three lane motorway(M25) most people doing 50mph stay in the middle lane even if there is no-one for miles ahead on the left!when approaching these drivers they see you in a bmw and think "im not pulling over for you in your flash car"and just sit there!then when you flash them or move into the' BMW LANE' or right hand lane as non bmw drivers would call it you get filthy looks and sometimes the odd hand signals (not the ones in the highway code!).Apparantly our so called government are going to do something about this,not sure how as they are too busy employing pc's hiding behind bushes with camera's catching safe drivers like ourselves enjoying our 'ultimate driving machines' Phew glad i've got that off my chest your views would be appreciated as im sure im not alone.

I must add that i do not drive like a lunatic, carving people up on british roads flashing my headlights,just enjoy driving correctly OOPS that sounds a bit pipe and slippers but you get what i mean!

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2005 at 17:49
It is the same over here (except we rarely have a 3rd lane!). Drivers out for a quiet drive often stay in the overtaking lane oblivious to its purpose. Even this morning when I was heading into work, I was following a new avensis (we were both in the overtaking lane). We had been doing about 55 in a 50 zone (oops!) and overtaking a couple of cars (not really enough to warrant constant lane changing). Anyway we came up behind a car in our lane doing about 47 or so (I presume the fact that the driver was female is irrelevant!). The avensis undertook it. I decided I wasn't going to bother and took the option of flashing her () and she politely moved left. I passed and then eventually moved over left myself. I looked in my mirrors and noticed that she had returned to the overtaking lane!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2005 at 17:57
glad im not alone ! maybe these people feel that being in a certain lane is there comfort zone and they cant move out of it i have also witnessed the same thing WHY? Nice one for covering your tracks with the female comment ! 
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2005 at 17:58
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

It is the same over here (except we rarely have a 3rd lane!)....

More like one-and-a-half lanes.....

I see this all the time on the M1 whilst on my way to and from the stables. Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays bring all the middle-lane fans out.

Best example was Sunday last, with a Vauxhall Vectra pottering happily in the centre, on a near empty Northbound M1 (after Junction 2). Nothing to the left of it, nothing to the right. Doing roughly 65-70mph.

I really wanted to take a photo of it, but only have one pair of hands. I settled for wafting past instead....in the slow lane where, paradoxically, faster progress is often made......

Edited by Horsetan

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2005 at 19:15

This is a club recognized by the Police, free membership apart from the odd summons.

It is known as CLOC, the center lane owners club.

I have asked for an answer to this within my driving circles, their advice is 3 lane carriageway : overtake as normal but use indicators to move from lane 3 to lane 1 ( we aren't normally encouraged to use indicators to move left on multi lane roads, as we shouldn't be causing anyone to change direction or speed).

2 lane carriageway: there just isn't an answer, undertake and your wrong, intimidate and your wrong, you may flash your lights to indicate your presence, but in my experience that rarely achieves anything.

You can actually follow these people with blues and two's, and still they don't move, often seen on the camera action type TV programs.

Best Wishes

Nigel

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2005 at 19:30
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

You can actually follow these people with blues and two's, and still they don't move, often seen on the camera action type TV programs.

Invariably when they do notice you, they get such a fright that they get angry, too ...
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 05:09

2 lane carriageway: there just isn't an answer, undertake and your wrong, intimidate and your wrong, you may flash your lights to indicate your presence, but in my experience that rarely achieves anything.

They should change the law so that you can ram them off the road then pepper the  car with machine gun fire and finally finish it of with a bazooka!! biggrin1

I have to admit I have been known to undertake them when on a dual carridgeway. There used to be a bloke who went the same way to work as me and he never got above 35mph even on the dual carridgeway. What made it even more anoying was that he would get in the righthand lane in preparation for tuning right at a roundabout when he was about 3 miles away!! Angry The tail back he created was enormous.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 14:40

all you peaple are right ...and i agree .i do a 1000miles aweek .and i have done most of my working life  .iam 30 at the moment .i ride super bikes aswell . iam not the best driver out there but i rekon i know the odd thing or too ..however this should make you laugh.....

i was flying home on the m62 heading to the manchester/london/leeds /turn off .does this stretch so many times i could never count them lol.any way i hate middle lane hogger and allway put them to shame .as i pass them i go straight to left hand lane to embarass them .but on this stretch of rd at 7pm .you get the hoggers in the fast lane doing 85 to 90 mph ..i rarely pass the 100 mark on m.ways .but on this occasion .my missis wanted me home for a promise ..iam behind this x reg mondeo v6   for 6 miles in the third lane .i had stayed a safe distance at all times .but he knew i was there .and he had plenty of chances to pull in the middle lane to let me past .another 2 miles later iam on his ass .that still didnt budge him ...so not like me i started to flash him ..as i did flash him ..and it was dark i saw this big red flashing sign in his rear screen ..it said POLICE STOP .it was only the oldest unmarked car in west yorkshire police force .i could have dropped on the spot ..so we get near the hard shoulder  and i get pulled .fully expecting a ticket ...and the lecture ....but belive this or not .the nice chaps in the car .got me in there car .switched on the video of me and my polite flashing jesters.they warned they could have give me a ticket so many times in the last 3 months {for doing 80 or 85}they wasnt going to do on this occasion aswell .i was speachless as to why not ..there answer was .....we have clocked you at 2 am 11 pm    etc over last few months exceeding the speed limit 80 to 90 mph s.however your driving [including embrassing mid lane hoggers}had impressed them to the point that this was a warning and the only warning they was going to give me...and there worst gripe was     mid lane hogger making a 3 lane m.way in to a dual carrigeway ...there you go chaps there are some good traffic chaps doing a good job and at least been observant too

therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 15:02
[QUOTE=Nigel]

QUOTE]

Ahh, but this is where you can be clever... The Highway code states that you DRIVE on the LEFT, unless overtaking... Therefore, move into the left hand lane and pass

On a more serious note, where has this stupidity come from of indicating right when going straight over a roundabout?!?! No doubt invented by some super-safe MPV driver!
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 15:37

thanx for all your amusing comments thought it would be an interesting topic,im in agreement with peter with bazooka's!

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 15:45

hey jamie

this topic has been a rant for me for years of driving lots...and there was me just thinking it was me that wanted to kill the mid lane types lolololol  well at least i wasnt on my own .it was a good topic you brought up

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2005 at 17:29

I have heard of some new rule saying that you should indicate right if going straight over an island, then left to exit.

As far as I can find out its nonesense, and just doesnt exist, and to be quite honest it can be a rush to manage to indicate left as you exit if you are only going straight over.

It is interesting though how many people will use the outside lane ( if there are two on the approach to an island ) to go straight across, which of course becomes a problem if there is only one lane on the road they wish to exit on.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 03:35

Jamie

AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH don't get me started on these drivers!

You should try driving along the M8 in Glasgow then!  Nothing but middle lane drivers.  This HAS to be the worst Mway for middle lane drivers.  It's at its worse when the road is quiet,  I work on the Railways and end up working night shifts, driving to work at 12 midnight and back home at 5am and you see them all lined up in the middle lane for no reason whatsoever, they then signal into the slow lane (Sorry Nigel I know that's not the proper speak for that lane, it's lane 3 isn't???) so they obviously do know it exists they and aren't totally against using it and then go off to the airport for the first flight of the day.

My theory is that due to the fact that the M8 has a high number of on and off ramps per given mile the people who can't cope with cars joining in front of them position themselves in the middle lane just so they 'are out the way'.

A colleague of mine who also works nights with me and we share a lift, hates this too, he reckons at 5am you see the middle lane drivers out in force as they are all tired and they drive in the middle lane so that if they fall asleep they have a lane each side to recover from a sleep induced drift!

Remember you did say 'Sunday' well thats the prime time for middle lane drivers.

Rant over... feel better.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 03:41

jamie

i make the trip to loch lomond about 3 times a yr .dont even get me started on the m8   ..i think your theory is right .there are many points to join the m.way .my 1st vist there had me assuming the scots were just laid back drivers lol..but you have just confirmed what i think ....

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 03:48

Was up past Loch Lomond yesterday.  Loads of people use that road along side that loch and only do 40-45 mph in a national speed limit stretch.  You just can't quite see far enough to overtake in some places and there are only a few good overtaking opportunities and if there is oncomming traffic you are stuck from Tarbet to Balloch.  Booo.

Mind I did 17,000 miles in 8 months on the A82 so I do know all the overtaking points and all the ins and outs of the twisty bit north of Tarbet, tis great fun with the steptronic autobox, don't touch the brakes on the bends just down shift and listen to the 6 pot sing out a great noise........ 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 06:16
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Was up past Loch Lomond yesterday. Loads of people use that road along side that loch and only do 40-45 mph in a national speed limit stretch. You just can't quite see far enough to overtake in some places and there are only a few good overtaking opportunities and if there is oncomming traffic you are stuck from Tarbet to Balloch. Booo.

IIRC, there are a few speed scameras around there, when I was traveling back from Fort 'Bill' I wanted to overtake a snail, but evertime there was a nice stretch of safe overtaking road, instantly those little white bar-code lines would appear.

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Mind I did 17,000 miles in 8 months on the A82 so I do know all the overtaking points and all the ins and outs of the twisty bit north of Tarbet, tis great fun with the steptronic autobox, don't touch the brakes on the bends just down shift and listen to the 6 pot sing out a great noise........

Is that the Tarbet in Argyle, The road to Killbery is lovely and twisty.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 06:33

Tarbet in Argyll & Bute to give it its proper title. There are loads of Tarbets and Tarberts all around the west coast.  Don't know of Killbery.

This Tarbet is halfway up Loch Lomond on the A82.  The twisty stretch is North of Tarbet up to Inverarnan where the Drovers pub is.

What way did you come back from Fort Willie?  I can only think of one set of 'rulers' on the black stuff and thats at the bottom of a straight stretch between Tyndrum and Crianlarich but there is no camera there....I hope...

Andrew

PS Whats IIRC stand for?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 06:36

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 12:20

Ta muchly

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2005 at 15:30

I have heard of some new rule saying that you should indicate right if going straight over an island, then left to exit.

As far as I can find out its nonesense, and just doesnt exist, and to be quite honest it can be a rush to manage to indicate left as you exit if you are only going straight over.

It is interesting though how many people will use the outside lane ( if there are two on the approach to an island ) to go straight across, which of course becomes a problem if there is only one lane on the road they wish to exit on.

I assume you mean Roundabout as opposed to Island... ...In which case it begs the question - what happens on a mini roundabout...

Your second point is manly down to ignorance and/or arrogance by people who can't be bothered or are too stupid to follow simple road rules. Straight over or left on the left hand lane - unless the roadsigns say otherwise.

There is also a new phenomenon - outside or "fast", as they like to call it, lane drivers. Those who will sit in the "fast" lane on the motorway even though there is no one to overtake or no one in front of them for miles! I think my record was undertaking 12-15 cars on the M25, all this WITHOUT driving at extreme speeds...

While I'm at it, people who drive with there fog lights on, esp on sides too. Why?? Do they think it makes them look "cool"?? No, it means you are either:
a) a boy racer in a nasty roller skate,
b) a drug dealer.
Or a combination of the two - aka a ******!

James
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic