Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTell us something we don’t know!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tell us something we don’t know!
    Posted: 10-February-2005 at 14:26

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=9859

MOST DRIVERS AVOID BMWS AND FORDS

Thursday 10th February

Which cars do you avoid?

A new survey has turned the tables on some long-held myths about which motors are best avoided on the roads. Modern drivers, it seems, are no longer keeping out the way of Volvo-man, ‘prats with a Porsche’ or ‘louts in a Land Rover’. And the old jokes about Skoda drivers and ‘Nissan nannies’ are but a distant memory.

Today, they are most keen to avoid those with a BMW or Ford, perceived to be the motors owned by the worst motorists. Not far behind are Vauxhall, so perhaps ‘Astra man’ is still considered something of an enigma on the roads.

Quoteacar.co.uk asked 400 of its customers to nominate the make of car they thought the worst drivers owned.

Joint top were BMW and Ford drivers with 13 per cent of the vote each. In third, Vauxhall drivers got eight per cent of the vote, closely followed by those in a Mercedes (five per cent).

At the bottom of the table there were some very mixed views. Expensive makes like Aston Martin, Bentley and Rolls Royce all scored very low, presumably because voters believe that when you’ve paid a lot of money for a car you’re going to drive it carefully. Less obvious low scorers were Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki and Saab.

"We appreciate that our customers are most likely to have answered this question based almost entirely on personal experience, so perhaps the results reflect the volume of particular makes on the road rather than a specific type of person who buys them," says Quoteacar’s Spencer Street.

"There was a time when if you saw a Volvo or Skoda you were fairly sure just what sort of person was behind the wheel, typically old and driving very slowly. Today, these stereotypes are not nearly so clear-cut, though it’s still fair to expect a certain personality when confronted by a Ferrari, Porsche or TVR.

"But with over 10 million motoring offences committed on our roads every year its obvious there are still a lot of bad drivers out there, even if it’s not entirely fair to characterise them by the make of car they drive.

"And don’t forget, despite what they drive, the 10 per cent of new drivers on our roads still account for 29 per cent of all accidents. But then experience is not so easy to see."

I was thinking about this, and its true, people seem to instantly hate you if you drive a BMW and some take great pains to be annoying and inconsiderate, like reducing speed in front of you on a perfectly good hazard free road for no good reason when they know you can't overtake, they don't let you out of junctions etc etc etc.

Yes, it annoys me, and I'm still childish enough to react in a retaliatory fashion so the legend is self-perpetuating - "look at that ***, typical BMW driver overtaking like a bat out of hell" instead of questioning themselves WHY the person was so eager to get past them, and, no, it's not cos we have an allergic reaction to the left hand side of the road

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Sponsored Links

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 14:41

The fact is you could conduct this survey 100 times and get 100 different results.

Many people vote on things like this without even thinking about personal experience.  There was even a PROPER survey on surveys! 

It discovered that something like 75% of all answers given were likely to be based on third-party comments or experiences rather than those of the participant themselves!

i.e. they've seen a press comment that BMW drivers are all arrogant, so when asked who THEY think are the most arrogant drivers on the road in 'their experience'....they say BMW.  Third party vote see.

I take absolutely no notice of the vast majority of car surveys these days unless they are from the likes of J D Power. 

Why?  Because it is a fact that few people criticise the car they currently own for fear of realising what a mistae they've made!  Even JDP try to filter this out of their results.

Ford's and BMW's eh? 

Frankly, on purely personal experience:

I'd put Nissans high on the list for the fact they STILL hog the outside lane and drive at speeds lower than those in the inside lane.

There is a new kind of Skoda driver - the ones out to prove a point about those that still have badge-snobbery, and in doing so they drive like lunatics!

BMW drivers are a mixed bunch. 

The same goes for Audi's.

TVR drivers seem okay.

Porsche drivers seem okay too - but not Boxsters!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 16:46
No mention of Rover, I see...?
Ciao,
Spokey

stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 16:51

Yes, that's telling isn't it...

Maybe there should be a footnote saying that all correspondents drove MG or Rover derivatives, wore pork-pie hats (even the women) and had blue rinses

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 16:53

What's the difference between a hedgehog and a Discovery, anybody?

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 18:30

Judging driving skills based purely on the kind of car is stupid and simplistic.

If you want a better idea of the worst drivers surely police statistics for people charged with dangerous driving would be more accurate, not people's predudiced opinions.

IMO people don't like BMW's because they are expensive and German and driven by people who heve made it i.e can afford one. I know people who don't like them because 'we won the war'. In other words jealousy and xenophobia.

The ford thing is probably just snobberey.

I drove a Nissan, A Primera SRi 2.0 and it was a great car. The handling was brilliant, the ride quality superb and it was amazingly reliable. The only things that let it down were the lack of grunt and 65 profile tyres.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 18:31
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

Frankly, on purely personal experience:

I'd put Nissans high on the list for the fact they STILL hog the outside lane and drive at speeds lower than those in the inside lane.

...and only one particular Nissan. The Micra. Oh, and they cut you up first...

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 19:11
now if we all pop back to the road rage test topic.....hmmm interesting that !
Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 19:16
i had considered tagging this one onto the end of my road rage one, but i thought it deserved a topic on its own to enliven and promote debate, especially as we are defenders of our marque, stereotyped? yes.  deservedly so?  possibly.

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
whiterider View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 21:13

If me or Ian take a dislike to the way a car is being driven, we put it down to the driver, not the make, I've heard him express a dislike of cars "because they're ugly" or Reliant Robins because he trusted 2 wheels more than 3.

Funny how they say a lot of the bad behaviour is testoterone fuelled, but an increasing amount of women drive like it...... Wendy

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 03:50

Women drivers are an interesting topic.

As far as insurance claims go, they are a far better risk than men, but this seems due to they normally do short journeys, around town, and most bumps they have tend to be low speed annoying bumper scrapes in car parks.

Men on the other hand have far fewer of these, but when they do have a bump, they tend to write at least one of the vehicles off.

To see women in their true light you need to observe the "school run".

Everything that is sensible about women in general just goes out of the window when collecting their offspring.

My poor wife is a crossing patrol lady ( dayglo lil ), very very rarely does a man fail to stop for her, even those collecting their own children.

Women fail to stop regularly, they have knocked her over, knocked the "lollipop" out of her hand, caused her and children to scatter, they will park where she is crossing, sometimes whilst she is in the middle of the road actually crossing children, and will even argue with police officers who pop up occasionally to protect her, and they will " park" ( read abandon) their vehicles absolutely anywhere.

Womens driving standards ( in general ) seem far lower than mens, ( I have noticed this whilst doing work for the IAM ), and this seems largely due to their lack of car sympathy, they don't seem to know or care as to how something works, but I also think it is down to lack of experience, they only seem to get to drive the car whilst hubby isn't around.

That excludes the growing number of HGV lorry drivers, I have noticed if a lorry does something nice for you these days, its generally driven by some nice looking dolly bird.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 04:29

Peter

Of course judgement by the type of car alone is ridiculous - but we are talking generally aren't we?

Generally....you know drivers of Nissan Primera's aren't going to be boy racers.

Generally....you know drivers of the new Micra aren't going to be the most aggressive of drivers.

Generally....you know a Porsche 911 driver isn't going to thrash his vehicle up and down the high street drawing attention to themselves.

All general comments. 

Just a few additional comments though.  I think that 'generally' you may be right about people not liking BMW drivers because they present an expensive image - whereas the reality is they are no more expensive than a whole host of cars that don't get tarred with the same brush (Audi's, MB's further down the list, Lexus).   I don't think the war has anything to do with it except for a very small minded minority. 

I also don't think the Ford comment is snobbery.  There are far far cheaper cars out there today.  South Korean ones for a start, many french ones too, and indeed the MG Rover Group give a car away with every pack of crisps in conjunction with Walkers nowadays don't they...(!)

Everyone, at some point, has probably been guilty of saying something very general about a car driver.

"Bloody micra drivers", "Typical Volvo driver" etc

In reality of course none of the sterotypes are really fair to the brands involved.

But perceptions take a lot of shaking off.

Ask Skoda.  They are still struggling to reach the sales targets they set because whilst they now manufacture some very nice cars indeed they just didn't think they'd have the badge problem still - but a survey by a large PR group for them showed that 68% of people still said the name would put them off buying it!!!!

More alarmingly for them, 87% of Fleet Managers said they wouldn't be allowed to choose them as primary choice cars for employees because they would almost certainly be accused of lowering staff morale!

Yet, what is a Skoda Octavia?  An old Passat - one of the top 15 selling fleet cars of the last 6 years.  When it was launched, it reached no. 4 in the charts too.  

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 06:56

Interesting  Comments Nigel, So--here we go--your poor wifes experience,s as a LollyLady, are an example of the Real truth that is never shown in a survey or safety feature.

If one looks at the actions and manners of women while doing their shop in Tesco , you will notice most are displaying the "Tesco Syndrome" .This is a Far away look, as in a trance-while pushing the trolley into an object, or crossing aisles without Any looking or notice of an approaching fellow/ess , and displaying the look that turns cream sour--cos its YOUR fault-even if you were standing still.

This is then transfered onto the roads sometimes with aggression as we all see every day, can this be due to the Pre menstural Tension or hormone problems.???

Disagree with the" only drive when the hubby is not around"-- women drive to their jobs, for the jobs with own cars--its about concentration for all drivers, some have it-some dont, and it applies to both sexes, be it a BMW or Micra driver.

I see just as many women as men,  sitting in the offside of an empty dual carrageway, with no turn right coming up, both are in another world.

The oft quoted -women have fewer claims than Men, is as you might expect from insurance and Govt, the usual Mis-Information method of stats.Male drivers outnumber female 8/10-my guesstat-do far longer distances and overall total milage each year,So are Far more at risk of an accident-for far longer-in more congested area,s .So its news !! Men have More accidents.The insurance brokers who offered lower premiums to women drivers, admitted there wasnt any difference.

So Nigel and Wifey , watch out for the Tesco +++++ syndrome its all around, and you DONT always Want 2 for 1.

SAFETYFAST

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 07:09
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

... I have noticed if a lorry does something nice for you these days, its generally driven by some nice looking dolly bird.

At which Eddie Stobart depot do you see all these lovely ladies?  I don't think I've seen a good looking mother-trucker yet! 

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 08:11

Coasting,

Firstly when i wrote that I was drunk and my response was one of anger since this topic is one that really anoys me.

I think you would be supprised just how many people continually harp on about the war. Last time I was in the pub and Germany were playing some other European country I discovered that no matter who the other team is, even Argentina, you can't support Germany. Why I asked? 'because of the war' was the response. This was the view from a large number of the people in the pub. I have heard this same veiw applied to cars on many occasions.

On the subject of generallisations, I tend to find that most of them don't have any basis in truth anyway. I can honestly say that I have never noticed the drivers of any particular make car driving any worse than any other.

As for Nissans, I've been raced by a Nissan Primera before now. I've also been held up behind an Aston Martin doing 25 on a 60 road, stuck behind a Porsche Boxster in the outside lane on an empty motorway doing 65, cut up by an idiot driving a Saab etc etc. IMO the notion that you can determine how some one drives based on the kind of car they drive is false.

It works the same way the horroscopes and other such mumbo jumbo. The horrorscope says you are going to come into money, you buy a scratch card and win Ł25 so it must have been fate, predicted in the stars. In the same way you are told that BMW drivers are bad drivers so when one cuts you up you remeber it and it confirms what you have been told, despite the fact that 10 other cars cut you up that week, but because they weren't BMW's it hardly registered and you forgot about them. In other words if you look hard enough for anything you are much more likely to find it and you only tend to notice the evidence that supports your view.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 08:41
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

In the same way you are told that BMW drivers are bad drivers so when one cuts you up you remeber it and it confirms what you have been told, despite the fact that 10 other cars cut you up that week, but because they weren't BMW's it hardly registered and you forgot about them. In other words if you look hard enough for anything you are much more likely to find it and you only tend to notice the evidence that supports your view.

I agree 100%!!! Gets my blood boiling, too!
Ciao,
Spokey

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 11:42
Isn't that exactly what I was saying in my earlier post?

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 11:53

Peter

On the point about German cars - the war etc.

The example of football - it doesn't really work does it? 

Yes, I've had people say it too.  Germans, football, war et al.

But how many really mention it in relation to reasons for not buying:

VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Skoda....

I must just not have come across them, but I can honestly say it is years (well over a decade I would imagine) since I have come across anyone who has said they wouldn't buy one of the above cars because "it's German and I haven't forgotten the war".  Older circles of movement perhaps?  I could understand that more (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say that!).

I still think it is possible to apply generalism to car drivers though.

Market data backs that up too.  All manufacturers use Acorn and Mosaic profiling type techniques for their target market.  In doing so they make assumptions, those assumptions target a likelihood to buy.  Income, demographics, ages, socio-economic groups.  This means that you can (and quite accurately) guess all sorts about (say) 100 Nissan Micra drivers....and the chances are you'll get more general facts right than you will wrong.

It might not directly tell you how they'll drive their cars, but it does give you an indication of character traits and behaviour by virtue of the total picture the profiling gives.

I've never been a fan of such "bracketing" I should add - but it does work for manufacturers without doubt.

rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 12:28

Getting a very interesting topic, even if Peter was drunk at time,lol! Again, interesting from Nigel, and sympathys to Jackie, must be worrying getting used for target practise, especially when trying to keep children safe.

Agree with B7VP, like the idea of the female "1,000 yard stare", thinking about it I've been knocked down from behind when using my stick/walking frame stood still in those circumstances, and attitude was "well you shouldn't have been standing there". I don't think it's a male/female thing as much as generally driving standards have got atrocious over the last 5 years, most of us have done Horsetan's road rage quiz ! IanT

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
b7 eater View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

BMW anoraks

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 15:13
hmmmmmmm   with regards to the tesco syndrome, pre MENstrual tension, horMOAN problems,  I think b7vp is a very brave man .only a man could liken pushing a tesco trolley to driving a car, could that be why men get around tesco in record times that would put Sebine to  shame!
E21 323i baur
E34 M5
M3 GT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic