Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAdvice: BMW with no service history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2005 at 07:58
Seems strange that there is no history at all. I suppose they said it was 'lost'. Even if it is a good car(which is unlikely), you will have problems when it comes to selling it on again as you won't have any history available except what you have compiled during your term of ownership and this will drive down the price you can expect to get for it. With so many good cars out there with full histories, think you would be better to walk/run away.
Kevin_1990_318iS
Sponsored Links

Beavis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2005 at 19:46
Thanks for the info. You've put me off it. A pity, because it's a beauty. It is the one in the picture, but it looks a lot better in reality.

Generally, is there a problem with imports?
Beavis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2005 at 20:11
Another question. Given all the potential issues, including Nikasil, do you think a check by a mechanic would minimise the risk to an acceptable degree? I'm asking because I haven't seen many black cars with black leather seats of this type around.
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2005 at 20:14
If you were really into the car and felt it was ok,you could bring it to a dealer and pay for the test for piece of mind. You could ask the guys selling to let you do that as part of the sale.Hell you could even bargain them into paying for it. You'll buy if it passes????
Richie

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 02:18
If you do bring it to a mechanic get a leak down test performed as well as a compression test!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 03:55

It is a beauty with a fab spec, and I'm of the opinion that there is nothing to be afraid of with high mile cars at all, or some cars with patchy history, or even cars that have had a light smack, as long as you do a bit of homework. There are some great bargains to be had.

All of my cars have had something wrong that has put the majority off. But it's been easily fixed - no history? Thorough check of what has been done, partic engine replacement for Nikasil cars. Evidence of body repair work? Get a professional body guy to examine the work done and get his opinion on structure, quality, paint etc. Mechanical ailments - establish how much the bits will be and how much you can do, and make an offer accordingly.

Do you do alot of miles a year? Will you be trading something in? You could haggle a serious amount of wedge off that 328i which will offset the resale hit you might take. And if what history it has from BMW GB makes sense, & it has the nikasil issue resolved (in which case the current engine might have only 50-60k on it), it could be an alright buy at the right price.

Black on black leather isn't strange, and while sometimes an import might be here to conveniently lose it's patchy history, imports are not to be afraid of..

I'm going against the general opinion, and I'll qualify my comments by saying there will be things like fuel pumps, fan clutch, head gasket etc.. that are generic BMW faults you mightn't get on a lower milage car. It also helps if you're some way mechanically minded to spot problems before they become a problem (which is all experience and ya have to start somewhere ).

(jaysus I'm brutal at short consise posts, aren't I?)

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 05:37
All vaid points TJ, and same with Killians. 

I bought my 328i on the basis of the service history and took a chance on the Nikasil.  I have scince had the tests done by M&G and it passed fine at the last inspection.

The biggest thing with a UK car is mileage - the 328 has an amazing ability to eat miles and if its from the UK then it is entirely possible that it could have done 120k quite easily before it was imported and as its a BMW it will still feel very good on the road. An automatic version is very unlikely to have been thrashed and I would guess was bought as a motorway cruiser.

I would be looking at the log book to see when it was brought in.  If its been several years ago then there should be NCT records which would have the mileage on them so you can at least have some reassurance. 

If its only in recently then I'd be asking why was it brought in and registered in Limerick and now on sale in Dublin.  This is only relevent if its all within a short space of time.

If its imported recently then a HPI check is a must.  You could possibly track some of the history in the UK from the chasis number.  At the very least any Irish dealer should be able to tell you what garage the car was originally sold from in the UK and then you have a starting point.

By the way - ask them what warranty will they offer, always a good way to stir a reaction.

It is a really nice spec though and if you can satisfy the few questions that you have with some sort of history then you are on a winner - it just takes a bit of effort.

Edited by BM Fan
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

E28_IRE View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 06:00

There's no need to be afraid of imports so long as you can reason what you are getting - as others have said, find out when it was imported. It's good to know for reasons outlined above and also for rust. If it's just out of the UK then that means it's had 9 winters of potentially salty roads. Might look fine now but four years down the road it might be needing body work. Try to find out where it was based in the UK - if up north there's more chance of it being a bit dodgy underneath than if used down south.

For the age of the car and the asking price, you'd want to be holding on to it long term if you don't want to lose too much on it.

My E28 was originally a UK car - there's almost no rust on it. My brother's E28, same age as mine, was also a UK car and was a wreck underneath.

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 06:31

Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Generally, is there a problem with imports?

In my opinion, no.  In fact I'd usually say the opposite.  All but one of my BMW's have been ex-UK.  The problem with any car, UK or not, is when the service history takes a walk.  In many cases the history takes a walk becuase it doesn't tally with the mileage on the clock.  My approach usually is to make an offer based on their being no history, the mileage being wrong and value it purely on condition with a reduction for the extra risk.  In the case of this car, the extra risk is compounded by the potential for a nikasil issue.  You're looking at the thick end of €3k if you need to deal with that.  Other wear and tear costs on a 328i will obviously be pricier than for something more mundane.  It is very comforting to have evidence that the previous owners of a car didn't run it on a shoestring.

TJ is right, you may be able to fill in many of the gaps by doing homework either before or after buying.  But that can only be considered a bonus.  The history may not be there because the car may actually have had a haircut.  The fact that the car is an import really doesn't add to or reduce the risk. 

The case for UK cars is that, if you shop well, you will get a better spec of car that has a far better chance of having a genuine and verifiable history and in many cases save youself a little money.  The biggest advantage is the choice, especially in niche cars.  If you really wanted to buy a '96 328i Sport in Ireland right now your choice is non-existent, the car you are looking at is it.  Do a search on the UK Autotrader and there are likely to be several. 

There are a lot of myths about UK cars, many propagated by the motor trade, that the cars are inferior, usually have starship mileages, etc.  The UK has the same set of myths about European imports.  There are just as many low mileage cars over there but usually there is a premium to pay for them.  With the higher mileage cars, even that may not be an issue.  The wear and tear on a car that does 100k miles in 2 years trundling up and down motorways at optimum temperatures and other operating conditions is far less in most respects than a low mileage car that is started from cold a couple of times a day and run on short journeys for the same length of time.

I'd guess that this isn't a recent import going by the reg number, I'd say it was probably imported around 98/99.

After all this, don't be put off if you really want the car, but reduce your risk as much as possible and walk away if the dealer won't meet your needs.  Cars are like buses (ought to be), there'll be another along in a while.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 07:10
you could also check with the VRT office to see when it was brought in and what mileage was on it!
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 08:01
further to what Eamo said, you can also (for about €6) find out the name and address of the previous/current owner. I think you need to ring the appropriate licencing authority (in this case Limerick Co. Co.)
1997 E39 523i
Beavis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 14:47
I took it for a test drive today. On closer inspection, the body is a little rough around the edges, hasn't been looked after. The engine has a powerful kick to it, but drags/ offers resistance at low speeds (I don't know if this is normal, not having driven a 328i before - it certainly doesn't feel normal).

The dealer said there were a few records after all, so I looked at them. The car was bought in Aberdeen in 96 (well done to those who spotted it was an import) and has service stamps for oil and I and II service up 'til 1998/50,000+ miles. Also documents showing the checklist for two of these services. It also has a VRT cert and and NCT from a couple of years ago. In 1998 it was imported to Limerick, where it received one service. It has no service record since; the dealer thought it hadn't been serviced since then. No records of repairs or anything, certainly not Niksal. Nice car, but not looked after, probably better to leave it. Its owner traded it in for a Lotus (1996, 31,000 Euros), according to the dealer.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 15:34
Out of curiosity, how many service lights were on the SI board?
1997 E39 523i
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 16:36

Beavis

Was the service in Limerick with Keogh's?  If so, it might be worth a call to Noreen, the service receptionist.  Its where I have my cars serviced and it can be a pain in the ass to get them to stamp the book, so no stamps might not mean no service.  Even if you leave the book on the drivers seat, they'll sit on it, but they won't stamp it.  Their number is 061 313355.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2005 at 18:26

Sounds very like it might be overdue an Insp II and it's quite possible the last owner did'nt fancy the cost, could well be 5,6,700 yoyo's of a service incl. consumables waiting for the next owner. If this is the case you'll need to get him to knock a good bit off the asking price. Ask him can you get someone to have a look at it, cost work etc. check how much of a warranty he'll give you (3 months prob) then make him a daft offer and see his reaction.

I think you've already planted the seeds of doubt in your mind with your last comment, "probably better to leave it".

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 02:55

well at least you've had your first drive / assessment of a 328i - all the better to compare with the next 328 you test drive!

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
E28_IRE View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 03:51
Based on that info. leave it, or offer 4 grand for it just to see.
Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 04:19
Patrick,
Look at these one in the UK as a comparison. Time to book your Ryan Air flight.

328i Sport
328i Sport Navy
328i Green...Nice car to mod yourself
328i auto

Richie

BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 05:01
Nice cars.

Do you really want an automatic as for the pure driving experience and the fun the 328 can offer I personally would recomend a manual.

I am sure TJ can vouch for this but on the road behind an artic at 45 / 50 mph, slipping into third and dropping the hammer is a fantastic experience.  You will probably pass the cab at 70+ and it will still be pulling like a train all the way to around 90 befoe grabing 4th - then it all starts again...............

That is what the 328 is all about - magic power and torque whenever you want it
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 12:49

Originally posted by BM Fan BM Fan wrote:

That is what the 328 is all about - magic power and torque whenever you want it

Wait till you get to try that in the M3!

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic