Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTell us something we don’t know!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

BMW anoraks

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2005 at 15:16

maybe we should forget the idea of carting and all meet in a tesco car park lol

E21 323i baur
E34 M5
M3 GT
Sponsored Links

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 04:21
  I,m up for that--When????? 
SAFETYFAST
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 04:48
Quite an interesting topic! As I fall victim to most generalisations, when I renew my car insurance, I think I have earned the right to have a stab back!

Mazda 6 - The soul of a sports car. With it's ***** Lexus lights and that slogan, these people believe it IS a sports car in disguise! Rather than the poor mans Mondeo that it is!

MG's - Maximum caffeine etc. All the money goes on the bodykit and seats, result more plastic than a normal Rover! Again, most believe it IS a sports car, rather than just a mess!

VW Golf GTi 1.8 (non turbo) + 2.0 - The original GTi. People believe these cars are fast - err no!

Leon Cupra T + R - for those that just couldn't afford an S3.

Saab - For people too snobby to buy a Vauxhall!

Not all is as plain as it seems, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If that wasn't the case, we'd all drive the same car!

As far as the battle of the sexes goes, this is my understanding - which I have proved! Men do it because they think they can get away with it, Women do it because they don't know any better!

This is just my findings since I have been driving. But I agree with other posts, it is easy to blame the badge/person... Everyone will make a mistake at some point, only luck determines how bad it will be...

Incidentally, what does everyone think of this idea? Some signboard in the back window that can read:

Is it foggy? No! Turn your fog lights off!
Are you overtaking? NO! **** *** to the inside lane!
Any other suggestions welcome...

James

edited for langauge, please read forum guidelines

Edited by Rhys
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 08:46

Originally posted by therealmccoy therealmccoy wrote:

Mazda 6 - The soul of a sports car. With it's ***** Lexus lights and that slogan, these people believe it IS a sports car in disguise! Rather than the poor mans Mondeo that it is!

Mazda 6. Great looking car that handles really well and is a joy to drive. biggrin1

MG's - Maximum caffeine etc. All the money goes on the bodykit and seats, result more plastic than a normal Rover! Again, most believe it IS a sports car, rather than just a mess!

The Mg's are genuinely good cars. I have driven a ZS180 and in terms of ride quality and handling it was up their with my BMW. It was the kind of car that you just get in a drive hard without having to go to the trouble of getting to know it first. Very forgiving and great fun.

VW Golf GTi 1.8 (non turbo) + 2.0 - The original GTi. People believe these cars are fast - err no!

Agree totally

Leon Cupra T + R - for those that just couldn't afford an S3.

Better than an S3 and cheaper so why even consider the Audi, other than for the badge.

Saab - For people too snobby to buy a Vauxhall!

Saab, for people who think they are getting something special but are really being sold a vauxhall in a fancy dress! Big Smile

Edited by Rhys
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 09:00
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

I must just not have come across them, but I can honestly say it is years (well over a decade I would imagine) since I have come across anyone who has said they wouldn't buy one of the above cars because "it's German and I haven't forgotten the war".  Older circles of movement perhaps?  I could understand that more (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say that!).

I do work with a lot of older people and the guys in the pub were older and my father in law to be is older! Big Smile

I still think it is possible to apply generalism to car drivers though.

Market data backs that up too.  All manufacturers use Acorn and Mosaic profiling type techniques for their target market.  In doing so they make assumptions, those assumptions target a likelihood to buy.  Income, demographics, ages, socio-economic groups.  This means that you can (and quite accurately) guess all sorts about (say) 100 Nissan Micra drivers....and the chances are you'll get more general facts right than you will wrong.

Demographics and profilling techniques might tell you about the age, gender, income bracket and social staus of the person most likely to buy a certain type of car, but not how good a driver they are. That has more to do with personalilty and abillity which no ammount of profiling techniques can determine.

It might not directly tell you how they'll drive their cars, but it does give you an indication of character traits and behaviour by virtue of the total picture the profiling gives.

I still dont think it will tell you anything about how they will drive. Also the kind of peole who drive certain cars can change quite radically. A few years ago young lads wouldn't bee seen dead in a Honda Civic. Now they are really popular. Also Rover 25's, traditionally old mens cars. I've seen loads driven by younger people probably because they are really cheap.  

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 09:27

In response to The Real McCoy and Peter Fenwicks comments on various cars:

Mazda 6:

I'm with Peter on this mostly in that I think they're a nice looking car that does drive well.  However, I do know what RMC is getting at because they do seem to have attracted a certain kind of driver in some models. I have had 2 of these try to race me in the M3.  Very odd behaviour indeed.

MG's:

On these I am firmly with RMC.  I too have driven a ZS180 - and it was truly awful.  Plastic and tacky.  Feedback was quite good, I'd give it that.  But a truly 'borrow for an short trip' car if ever there was one.  I couldn't live with one for more than an hour.

As for it being up there with BMW in respect of anything at all, I just can't agree.  It was leagues apart in every respect.

Golf GTi (previous generation):

Agree with you both.  Slower than a fat slug on salt.

Leon Cupra's v S3's:

The S3 is in a different class as far as I am concerned.  It is better built, offers better feedback, is quicker (in standard form) and it is much much more than just a badge syndrome.

But, the Cupras are good cars in their own right.  So I'm a bit inbetween on this one you could say.

Saab:

For people who can't afford a BMW, Mercedes or Audi, but still think it is a respected badge.  Ahem.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 09:35

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I still dont think it will tell you anything about how they will drive. Also the kind of peole who drive certain cars can change quite radically. A few years ago young lads wouldn't bee seen dead in a Honda Civic. Now they are really popular. Also Rover 25's, traditionally old mens cars. I've seen loads driven by younger people probably because they are really cheap.  

I don't think we're saying a huge amount different from each other when you analyse our posts in detail.

For example, the above quote is exactly what I meant about Acorn and Mosaic type profiling.  It is exactly these techniques that have lead to the results you illustrate.

Honda wanted to enter a different market.  So, they did the market research and found out what they needed to do - and did so (and it has to be said with quite remarkable results).

Rover wanted to get to a younger market and did the same (although they did it rather differently).  I actually don't have a ounce of respect for what they did.  They merely dropped prices and skimped on every engineering aspect they could have done.  Their cars continue to be a revamp of this and a revamp of that.

The rear of the 'new' Rover 45 is the worst revamp of anything I have ever seen.  Their cars are the same they were 7 years ago.

The sooner they close the doors on the place and let it's sorry state fade into history, the better.

I'm sure that will attract some derision - but what can they do now?

They've even started copying Audi grilles for gods sake!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

sayerbloke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 11:09

Hmm. BMWs and Fords. My favourite and least favourite manufacturers.

I think it probably is fair to say you`re more like to see a BMW being driven badly than a Saab. But then there are more BMWs out there on the roads.

Cars I`d identify as ones to avoid are Saxos [or in fact any car that's clearly been "modified" in a max-power kiddy style] and the older style Vectra SRi. Company vans should probably be included on there as well. I`m not about to group whole manufacturers.

Far more of a problem is some old people. Some of the things you see them do is cringeworthy.

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 13:17
Rover 100-series.

Enough said!
Ciao,
Spokey

stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 13:20

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

A rebadged old metro.

Enough said!

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2005 at 21:50

Can't answer for modern Mazdas, I personally don't like styling later than late 80's, but wendy had a 626 and it was reliable, handled reasonably, nothing exciting but did the job it was bought for well.

Wasn't aware of the Saab/Vauxhall thing, so my 2 old Royale coupes are related, sort of! I always seemed to go for cars that were unloved, most young drivers seem to got for cars they can get modified bits for easily, which explains the civics etc, I also avoid all blatantly butchered examples!

I REALLY like The Real McCoys sign idea, both of them. Preferably used after you overtake and cut offenders up with appropriate gestures - oops, into road rage quiz again, better increase medication or change some of my answers!IanT

IanT
E28 528, E23 735

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2005 at 10:24

Rover wanted to get to a younger market and did the same (although they did it rather differently).  I actually don't have a ounce of respect for what they did.  They merely dropped prices and skimped on every engineering aspect they could have done.  Their cars continue to be a revamp of this and a revamp of that.

The rear of the 'new' Rover 45 is the worst revamp of anything I have ever seen.  Their cars are the same they were 7 years ago.

The sooner they close the doors on the place and let it's sorry state fade into history, the better.

The problem with Rover is that they spent all that time and money putting a V8 into the 75 and converting it to RWD rather than replacing the the 25 and the 45 which are both horribly out of date.

Much as I like the MG ZT260, in order to be successful Rover need to be making better mainstream cars. After all sales of the ZT260 aren't going to pay the bills.

As for my comment about the Audi and Seat. I have never driven either so my view is based on the fact that the Seat is cheaper and comes out above the Audi in every comparison I have ever read. When they make an S3 version of the new A3 it might be different. In fact out off all the cars based on that platform the SKoda Octavia and Seat Leon have been given the most praise by magazines like EVO

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2005 at 10:43

In response to The Real McCoy and Peter Fenwicks comments on various cars:

Mazda 6:

I'm with Peter on this mostly in that I think they're a nice looking car that does drive well.  However, I do know what RMC is getting at because they do seem to have attracted a certain kind of driver in some models. I have had 2 of these try to race me in the M3.  Very odd behaviour indeed.

MG's:

On these I am firmly with RMC.  I too have driven a ZS180 - and it was truly awful.  Plastic and tacky.  Feedback was quite good, I'd give it that.  But a truly 'borrow for an short trip' car if ever there was one.  I couldn't live with one for more than an hour.

As for it being up there with BMW in respect of anything at all, I just can't agree.  It was leagues apart in every respect.

Golf GTi (previous generation):

Agree with you both.  Slower than a fat slug on salt.

Leon Cupra's v S3's:

The S3 is in a different class as far as I am concerned.  It is better built, offers better feedback, is quicker (in standard form) and it is much much more than just a badge syndrome.

But, the Cupras are good cars in their own right.  So I'm a bit inbetween on this one you could say.

Saab:

For people who can't afford a BMW, Mercedes or Audi, but still think it is a respected badge.  Ahem.

James

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2005 at 10:56
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

The problem with Rover is that they spent all that time and money putting a V8 into the 75 and converting it to RWD rather than replacing the the 25 and the 45 which are both horribly out of date.

Much as I like the MG ZT260, in order to be successful Rover need to be making better mainstream cars. After all sales of the ZT260 aren't going to pay the bills.

As for my comment about the Audi and Seat. I have never driven either so my view is based on the fact that the Seat is cheaper and comes out above the Audi in every comparison I have ever read. When they make an S3 version of the new A3 it might be different. In fact out off all the cars based on that platform the SKoda Octavia and Seat Leon have been given the most praise by magazines like EVO

I have driven both the S3 and the Cupra T and the Audi is far superior.

My comments were made from my observations on the type of people that drive them, rather than how they drive. Although, I have driven all of them except the expensive Vauxhall...

As far as the Skoda thing goes, I have driven a Skoda Octavia (a couple of guys have them at work - god they get some stick ). I drive a Passat TDi for work. The Skoda looks cheap inside, the dials, the dash board the radio - the lot! Did you know that unless you get the "Elegance" (Top of the range model) Estate, the back is not flat!! It has a raised back, like a Saloon or Hatchback!!!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2005 at 13:45

The Audi S3 quattro list price is £24,820, the Leon Cupra R £16,999 and the Octavia Vrs 15,999. If the build quality and trim materials in the Audi weren't better then something would be very wrong. 

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2005 at 14:19
sorry guys but it's absolutely true that the drivers of some cars are usually the same

Audi TT's are to be treated with caution as are Boxsters

similarly white vans and Novas

lets all make the world a better place and ditch stereotypes but i wwould like to avoid accidents

and when i drive i do make assumptions about certain cars on the road

seems silly not to
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 09:14

one word answer - jealousy.

it's a terrible thing.

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 09:30
one word answer to which question??

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 09:47
Well, I don't treat any car differently to any other. In my experience you cannot tell how the driver is going to behave simply based on what car he or she is driving.
Daz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 11:27

Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

one word answer to which question??

ref to the survey where people were prejudging bmw owners as bad drivers.

2009 E92 M3 - Milltek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic