Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAdvice for newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 07:27

E36 318is coupe You'll have 143bhp. Class car to start with.  I had one for two years and loved it. Was sorry to see her go. For some reason the insurance was the same as a standard 318i 4 door.

I presume it's because it's the same cc. I didn't ask the question at the time in case they changed their minds. Just make sure you ask them to send you a quote in writing before you buy the car.

B.

Sponsored Links

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 07:35
And remember that quotes only last for 30 days.  However, some companies won't quote without a reg number; if they say this, leave it a while and ring back; sometimes if they're busy they use it as a fob off as they have calls stacking up and the operators want to get their call:sales percentage up.

Edited by Fey!
PaulB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 08:49
as i said before though, my number one main concern is that i have always thought repairs and parts costs on bmw's were extortianate?

I am a college student so i am looking for reliability and cost to run over ANYTHING. Even getting the 318is is pushing it with running costs etc.

what u think?
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 08:54

I would advise you not to strech your budget for the purchase, just get the best you can afford and still have some money left in case of trouble.

If you half a working brain, BMW are probably the easiest car to work on. Get a Bentley manual for €30 and save yourself hundres by doing basic (fluid changes, brakes) stuff yourself and only leave the big stuff to the dealer.

llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 08:56
i'd double check with the insurance for the coupe... i'm with hibernian and the coupe was a good 3-400 euro more than the 4 door. the insurance price difference between the 316 and 318 was very little... but then from driving them the difference is actually very little. Some 318s felt way slower than the 316 i ended up with. The 318IS is a beauty tho. Steer way way clear if you come across a 318is saloon. they were made in south africa and are apparantly very bad quality.

the m44 engine (318is) does have some issues to watch for check the following website:
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html
very helpful.

you can come drive my 316 if you want.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
PaulB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:04
thanks for the offer llatsni. You dont mind me giving u a shout next week if you are around so i can take a closer look at the 316?

I wont be buying until august but just wondering if anybody on here would be willing to come with me to see a car for sale to give a second opinion?

With my old minis i did most of the work, so im not really worried about the labour, its the parts that worried me!

E28_IRE View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:04

Buy a Toyota.

Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:09
I'll happily go look at motors with you but I'm not the most mech minded but I can spot a banger.
Richie

Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:11
Toyota parts are probably more expensive than BMW parts.

Any second hand car is a gamble, but if you do your homework and get it properly checked by a good mechanic, or the AA, you should be OK. A purchase from a garage will give you some extra assurance as there will be a guarantee, but at a cost.
Kevin_1990_318iS
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:18
bmw club members get a discount from gsf (german swedish french) car parts, and OTTO (german car parts) in ranelagh have always gone out of their way to help me out. Then there's always the main $tealers for hard to get parts - most of them are total knob-ends tho.

Parts are well documented, suprisingly available and relatively cheap (i had a peugeot 306 that ate money on very hard to get parts)

I'll come look at any car youre interested in. I make my own hours so available most of the time.
pm me for my number if you'd like to see the 316.

edit:
if you intend buying in august, do start looking now. i only gave myself 2 months to find one i liked and it was way too short, still felt rushed due to the amount of crap out there.

Edited by llatsni
PaulB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:18
cheers richie, i may be calling on you!

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:31

Howdy Paul, & welcome to the club.

While they are well built in terms of solidity, lack of rattles after big miles etc.., whoever says BMWs are reliable is lying. But its the same stuff that goes wrong with most of them, so once you know what you're looking for, you're away on a hack.

Things like the cooling system going AWOL is common. This is due to either the fan clutch going (around €60 to replace), or the plastic impellers in their water pumps failing and blocking a vital waterway (BMW replacement water pumps have steel impellers, yet to the best of my knowledge they still fit plastic ones to new cars). Usually either of these, if not spotted & corrected, causes the car to overheat, resulting in a failed head gasket which is another common problem. Look out for the telltale smoke from the exhaust (white for water mixing, grey for oil), and have a look in the radiator expansion tank to see if it's milky (oil & water mixing somewhere)

Suspension makes or breaks the drive of a BMW. Bushes wear out quite commonly and the whole drive is lousy as a consequence. While most bushes for the 3 are reasonable, even from BMW direct, there are a few of them in there. Ones like the subframe mounts can be a pain & require you to make up a tool to extract them. So ensure it drives free from slop. Soft is fine, but slop is bad. As was mentioned, drive as many as you can to get an idea of what's good & bad.

1.6 & 1.8s can get a bit tappety - this will require a new cam, followers, and guides. So make sure anything you look at doesn't sound like it has had percussion fitted as an optional extra. Diligent oil changes by its previous owners do alot to prevent this.

Happy hunting!

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 09:34

Originally posted by kevin_1990_316i kevin_1990_316i wrote:

. A purchase from a garage will give you some extra assurance as there will be a guarantee, but at a cost.

I agree with that; if you buy privately and find a problem in your first 3 months, you have no comeback.  A garage legally has to give you a 3 month warranty.  They usually state engine and gearbox only, but I'm getting my clutch and snag list done after a month.  Some garages attempt a "trade sale", stating that they won't warranty it but you're getting the car cheaper, or use the line "it belongs to a customer, so we won't cover it"; this is an illegal practice; if it comes of a forecourt to a private individual, it comes with a warranty. If it's one of their customers, they will have been servicing it, so they should be happy to back up their own work.  There is also the option of buying a 12 month warranty; it used to cost ir£350 but only if you bought of a garage.  I'm not sure how you go about it these days, though.  Ask someone in the trade; they should be able to help you.

If I've gotten this all wrong, please feel free to correct.

Edited by Fey!
Grahame_Vincent View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 11:32

Welcome to the Club Paul......

Happy hunting!

Grahame
2004 E46 325Ci Sport Coupe, Silver Grey with Black Leather and M Sports Pack II.
Used to own:-
1995 E38 730i V8, Black, 18" Fox RS3's, Custom Tint Glass, with Silver Leather
1985 E30 316 Black
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=1066854
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 11:50

Paul

Back to your main needs, dependability and running costs.  A 316i will suffice, you can grow in to the iS, etc. later.  There has been lots of good advice and TJ covered a lot of points of use. 

My own opinion is that buying privately is a better option because a larger % of the purchase price from a dealer at this price level is margin.  Buy sensibly and you'll more than compensate for the risk of not having a waranty that a dealer would offer. 

The key is that you need to have a very clear and detailed history available and the most comprehensive check possible done before buying, if you haven't enough experience, bring someone that has.  If the service history has disappeared or there have been a large number of owners that has clouded how much the seller knows about the car, walk away. 

As has been mentioned here already, buy firstly on condition and history rather than age.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 11:50

Welcome to the gang PaulB its also a know secret that if you change the head of a 316 with the head of a 318 you get to increase your engine size etc I can find out more but the 316 & 318 are the same engine except for the head and you cannot tell the difference.

I stand corrected but I was told this a while back by a BMW mechanic. BMW are also aware of this but don't go about announcing it

Topazman   

Edited by topazman
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 12:00
Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

... its also a know secret that if you change the head of a 316 with the head of a 318 you get to increase your engine size ...

havnt heard of that one... very interested. any further info much appreciated.
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 12:03

I can make enquiries tomorrow if possible and will get back to you llatsni (install)

Topazman

Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 12:57

Here's an example from the UK Autotrader website.  Its an auto, but its more to illustrate the point.  €4k would have that on the road with VRT paid.

1991   BMW 3 SERIES 318i 4dr Auto Saloon,
Petrol, 33,000 miles, . Boston Green E36 shape auto in very good condition inside and out. ABS,c/l,sunroof and all the other BMW mod cons.Very low genuine mileage of 33,000. Can supply service history and photos upon request. £2,350 . o.n.o.
Tel: 0796 3282952
Price:  £2,350 ono.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
PaulB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 13:30

thanks guys, anybody there voluteer to come look at cars with me in the future if needed?

I was thinking very much about shopping in the UK and bringing it over as i did with a mini before. Works out inexpensive for the car. But i would rather by in ireland if it was nct'd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic