Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedS Reg 528i - cracked head/block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: S Reg 528i - cracked head/block
    Posted: 23-May-2005 at 06:21

Hi

I personally have a 318i but a friend has the S Reg 528i. The garage seems to think that either the gasket has gone, or the cylinder head/Block may be cracked. Someone mentioned that this is a known problem with the engine this model uses and that BMW refuse to admit responsibility, now i know that a certain engine model had problems similar to this and BMW would replace/fix it but i can't rememebr the name of the problem or engine type.

If anyone can deciper my ranting some clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wal

Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 08:27

Earlier e39's suffered from the nkasil problem where the bores would wear prematurely.  As an S reg, its likely that your mates car would not suffer with this (it is possible though, depending on build date).  These were M52 engines and there were no overheating problems associated with the nikasil problem as far as I know.

BMW cooling systems have been known to give occassional problems, the main problem being the viscous coupling to the fan.  This can cause the engine to overheat and in extreme cases could cause the block to crack.  I don't know that BMW have ever acknowledged this to be a problem or that people here would hold that view.  Potentially any car can overheat and I don't know if BMW's are any more prone to it than any other brand.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 08:56
the earlier e28 cars suffered from this problem (well the 6 cyl cars), but I haven't heard of an e39 having the same problem?
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 09:49

M52's are VERY VERY funny about their coolant being changed every 2 years. I have no idea why but thats the way it is.

I know of an M52, one of the first that went for 3 years without a change and overheated for apparently no other reason - everything else checked out ok - fan, w pump etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic