Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion on Safety Belt Pretensioners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on Safety Belt Pretensioners
    Posted: 28-September-2006 at 15:12

What are they and how do I tell if my car them...they sound cool!!!

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Sponsored Links

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 13:56

BB,

Pretensioners are reactive tighteners of the belt in the case of a crash. Basically they tighten the seat belt around you when a crash occurs, that stops a person moving forward before the locking mechanism of the belt activates and also helps to avoid submarining. They are usually activated by a small gas piston that is tripped by sensors on the car, very like airbag's. Not sure how you identify if you have them, if you look up the spec of your car then they should be referenced as such.

Cheers Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
digweed View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
I’m SOOO cut out for world domination!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 17:46
if you can get a look at the the part where you clip the belt into and see down where  its bolted to the floor a tube should be pointing towards the front of the car, this is where the charge is fired.  it fires a piston aginst a cable which is anchored at one and and attached to the clip at the other, thus pulling it tight in the event of an accident.  this is an example of what they look like here.

D.
Dermot O Rourke, used to be '99 520 black metallic
Now '01 525 M-Sport, cosmos black, sports half leather seats, upgraded lights and a kick like a mule!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic