Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCrankcase Breather/Vent cleaning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crankcase Breather/Vent cleaning?
    Posted: 07-March-2007 at 17:23

Does anyone know how one is supposed to service/clean the crankcase breather/ventillation pipe? 

This is something that should be done but never gets done by garages and dealers.  I am servicing mine in a couple of days and was just wandering how to do it?

Let The Good Times Roll
Sponsored Links

Dave E View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2007 at 12:37
I see you haven't had a reply for 9 days so presume you have either done it or left it alone for the time being.

I don't think this is on the schedule of normal service operations. It's a bit like saying the gearbox oil should be changed at regular intervals but it never gets done; or perhaps it bit of "those that don't ask don't get".

I've had my 520 regularly serviced and unless there is a problem with it the servicing team will not draw your attention to it.

I had experience of my 730 having a faulty valve on the breather ventilation pipe that allowed oil to be sucked up from the sump into the intakes and gave me, and everyone following me, the visual impression that my engine had blown. I was quite relieved that it just required a new relief valve.

Not much use to you I suppose but hey it's nice to have someone reply even if they aren't much help.

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2007 at 15:33

Thanks for the reply and your experience.

I think mine may be ok on the BMW, but I bought new pipes from BMW for about £12 just for the sake of it so I will be fitting it this Friday. 

(I was just curious as its a common issue amongst Volvo T5 owners (I have a C70 T5 as well) and they always mention getting this done as its vital on the T5's.  Apparently it affects the oil pressure (and like you say it gets into the intakes) if the pipes get clogged up etc.

Let The Good Times Roll
Dave E View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2007 at 16:58
Good luck. You will also be able to check that the pressure regulating valve is OK. The cause of the trouble on my engine was a split diaphragm. This caused oil to be sucked into the inlet manifold to an unbelievable depth of 5mm.

Edited by Dave E
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2007 at 17:29

These pipes if blocked can cause all sorts of problems.  Some blockages can cause sump oil to be fed into the inlet manifold and then consumed by the engine with disastrous consequences! Just ask the 530d owners.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic