3 [23.08%]
3 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [15.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: price war with Insurance company
    Posted: 28-January-2009 at 13:43
< http-equiv="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CVince%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">< style>

I need help in determining the value of my M3 pre-crash.
In our opinion, what us she worth. 

1998 Evo Convertible manual in estorial blue with blue automatic soft top and hard top in new condition.
89000miles, full BMW history serviced up to date.  4 new tyres and 4 original bmw wheels new. 
New engine,diff,clutch,gear box and exhaust fitted by BMW with only 30k on the clock, have all receipts etc
heated seats
Harmon kardon sound
multiple airbags
silver grey leather (perfect)
truly the best one around with full history and running like new.
no stone chips or dents etc
never damaged, painted etc
new steering wheel costing 600
6cd player in boot
cherished no. plate  98 C 3

In my opinion, given the car market today she would be worth towards 13k, defiantly not 9k like the insurance wants to pay me for her being written off!!!  This is an insult, and I cannot see anywhere I can replace the car for 9k.  There are 1 or 2 for sale a little higher than 9, that don’t even have a history, and are SMG box which is less desirable and troublesome.
Dough i don’t expect full insurance value as she was insured for 18k, but surely a bit more than 9k would be reasonable??
I am trying to prove she is worth more than 9k can anyone help, or does anyone know where I can get a recognized car dealership to put this in writing. On the net there between 10-14k for a 98.  Where there getting 9 is beyond me. 
Any help appreciated lads.  Plus they have also given me a buy back figure which is just ridiculous.  They want everything their way.  If they want an argument, they are going to get one. 

I miss my m3.......
Sponsored Links

Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 13:59

Im not sure you'd get 13k for it but if you had to replace it you would spend that easily with the work thats gone into it.

Keep haggling with them. They are like car buyers, theyre first offer is always ridiculous. Remember that they have a contract with you to replace your car. They agreed the value of 18k when you paid them their side of the deal (policy).

Best of luck with it.

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 14:08
This is their 2nd and final offer!! There 1st offer was 9 also.  grrr,, its very frustrating indeed.  
I miss my m3.......
keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 14:10
Like Ben says keep haggling and don't sign anything your not happy with.
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
deeko1973 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeko1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 15:00

That sucks man...

Insurance just pisses me off in general cos it's such a rip-off.

Remember though, that altho you may have spent loads on the car they will probably not recognise this fact in a valuation.

E.g. Automatic soft top and hard top - presumably these are not both fitted at same time? If so, they're not gonna pay out for both

4 new tyres and 4 original new BMW alloys - again, they're unlikely to pay out for new tyres and probably not alloys unless you specified them on the insurance quote

Leather interior - whilst this being in perfect condition would obviously enable you to sell the car for more I still don't think the insurance company would add value to the car for this.

New steering wheel - again, unless this was specified as a modification to the insurers they prob won't cover it

Stereo - prob won't cover cos they'll assume things can be removed and sold on - like the cd changer from the boot (unless of course this has been damaged as part of the collision?)

Cherished plate - If the car gets written off aren't you allowed to keep the plate? If so - they won't pay out for that either...

Sorry to be a merchant of doom and gloom ... This whole situation sucks for you..

The other point to note over the price is that you can pick up a newer shape M3 Convertible for round about 14-15k according to Autotrader, so that's gonna push the value of yours down too.

Main problem is the market conditions at the moment. Everything is losing value so quickly that the insurers are well aware and they know they don't have to pay out as much as folk want.

Is there anything you can salvage from the car prior to them writing it off? Or do they not allow that? (They're probably gonna sell it on to someone to restore and make money that way too - the dirty robbing b*****s!)

E46 2000 330i Saloon
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 16:26

'fraid that while the €9k offer might be a bit on the low side, the real value today is probably no more than mid way between this and your estimate of €13k (hence my 11k vote).

The recent engine, tyres and steering wheel, plate, etc. don't make any real difference to the value of the car on the open market, even if they might improve the saleability of it.

Its a bit harsh, but I'm afraid it does reflect the state of the market.  The dearest '98 M3 conv manual on UK Autotrader would stand you €13k on the road today, without haggling on the selling price.  The second dearest would set you back less than €12k and the third less than €11k.  The Open Market Selling Price on the VRT website suggests a value of just over €7k - not the most reliable of indicators but we usually complain on these pages of the OMSP being too high.

Try to nudge them closer to €11k and I'd say you're there as far as payout goes.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 18:26
The VRT calculator is totally incorrect.  over 7k is completely inaccurate.  I also keyed into it, a 2004 330i and it said the open market selling price here was 37k.  This couldnt be more incorrect, having been speaking to BMW dealers, they state that the car would not be worth asking more than 25-30k.  So this proves, there inconsistand both ways.  Rather annoying really, As i think the insurance companys use it for calculating payouts! 
I would think my m3 would have a value of 11-12k, not 9.

P.S DONT FORGET TO VOTE IN THE POLL ABOVE.  HAPPY MOTORING GUYS......
I miss my m3.......
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 19:11

Originally posted by m3sport m3sport wrote:

I also keyed into it, a 2004 330i and it said the open market selling price here was 37k.  This couldnt be more incorrect, having been speaking to BMW dealers, they state that the car would not be worth asking more than 25-30k.

It just so happens that you've picked on a car with an anomoly in using the 330i as an example.  If you look at the OMSP for a same age and mileage 330Ci Sport you'll find that its a little over €22k.  That's far closer to a realistic value for one of those from a dealer.

I'm not sure what info you used for the OMSP on the 330i.  By my reckoning, a '04 manual saloon with 40k miles has an OMSP of about €28.5k for an SE and just over €32k for a Sport.

Just to make the point further, a '04 325i SE with similar mileage has an OMSP of around €11.5k.

I'm not having a go at your car (I've seen it and it was a nice example) or your sense of its value, but I think you need to be somewhat realistic about the true value of it in todays market. 

I bought a 330Ci a little over two years ago at a keen price.  Even so, its probably only realistically worth half of what I paid for it because the bottom has fallen out of the market.  In normal market conditions you'd expect a car to lose about 30% of its value in that time, so the extra 20% is down to the different conditions in the market.

Definitely the insurance have low-balled on the offer but not by as much as you think imho.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
lukeduke View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 23:27
When my wifes car was written off last summer by her insurance company (not a bmw) they called me to go through the details and value and the guy used carzone for his value on the car!!! i was surprised as i thought they would give you a trade price as they would probably buy the car for!!! In saying that i was well pleased with the offer.. I hope you  get sorted... Luke.
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 00:01

< http-equiv="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CVince%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">< style>

Dergside, on the VRT online enq, a 2004 330i sport with 44000miles OMSP is €36978.  The VRT is €13,313  I know as I was looking at bringing in one until I saw the VRT price.  Check is again, i double checked it and those are the figures.

I know the m3 isn’t worth 13k in the current climate, and im not asking for a miracle, my point is its def not worth as little as 9.  Granted, i reckon give it a few more months and there will be a drastic drop again, and then 9k will be more accurate, and i believe it is on this basis that the assumption of 9k is being made by my insurer.  I don’t call this being unrealistic like you say. 

One should ask the question, Why are we asked for a value when insuring our cars if the specified value is not ever taking into account in a situation like so.

I have a 30ft sail boat, and its insured value is 45k.  In the event of a total loss, this full amount is paid in full.  As with boats, extra equip is take into account etc as your premium is based on the insured value.  If i want to increase the value, then I must produce evidence from a survey by a recognized marine surveyor.   This makes sense right?

I have now evidence from a main BMW dealer, that claims the value of the car is between 11-12k not 9k. 
It p***** me off that we are screwed when it comes to our insurance premiums, when they don’t stick to their side of the deal in the event of an accident.  I have never had a claim in my 11 years driving, yet i paid 1240 for my premium this year and now they dont want to give me enough money that can actually replace this car.

On the other hand, if they think theres a chance of a claim for injury, they are far more generous at payouts.  I know this from a previous incident in another case. 

I have asked them to clarify, where I can replace this car for 9k.  There was a pause in the conversation when i said this....

Dergside, I presume we met on the run in Galway over a year ago and this is where you saw my m3?  Which one were you?  I think you drove the white e30 cabrio? . And you said you would like first refusal on my m3 if i were to sell it?  Tell you what, you can have it now for 3k trust me its a bargain hehehehehe

I miss my m3.......
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 00:40
Originally posted by m3sport m3sport wrote:

Dergside, on the VRT online enq, a 2004 330i sport with 44000miles OMSP is €36978.  The VRT is €13,313  I know as I was looking at bringing in one until I saw the VRT price.  Check is again, i double checked it and those are the figures.

Dergside, I presume we met on the run in Galway over a year ago and this is where you saw my m3?  Which one were you?  I think you drove the white e30 cabrio? . And you said you would like first refusal on my m3 if i were to sell it?  Tell you what, you can have it now for 3k trust me its a bargain hehehehehe

The figure you quoted is for an automatic.  That puts it in the 36% VRT category.  The manual I quoted is in the 32% category.  That accounts for the difference in figures we outlined.  But, as I said, the 330i is an anomoly.  Its the only way to describe a €17K difference in OMSP between otherwise identical 330i SE and a 325i SE.  For that matter, the 325i value is an anomoly, but to a much lesser extent.  A 04 320i SE is the closest to a realistic OMSP at a little under €15k. 

For each BMW anomoly there are probably 10 BMW OMSP values that are a reasonably close reflection of the reality of the market.

We did meet in Galway but I wasn't in an e30.  I had my previous e36 325i coupe and didn't look for first refusal on your car!

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
deeko1973 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeko1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 00:40
Very good point... why is it we are shafted by insurers when we tell them
our car is worth a certain amount only for them to never pay out that
amount.

It's a SCAM.

RIP-OFF BRITAIN.

In the past I have saved a lot of money on my premiums by quoting a
price that is £1 below however many thousands of pounds i think the car
is worth - e.g. saying £3999 instead of £4000. Similarly with the
expected mileage. If you put in 12999 instead of 13000 you sometimes
get a cheaper price. Although this time (I have just been looking for a
renewal quote) I have noticed that the websites round to the nearest
thousand so you can't do that any more!

They get you every way. Honestly... if you were to sit down and work out
what way you could shaft people the most while giving the worst service
you would eventually come up with a business plan for an insurance
company. I don't know why the government hasn't clamped down on
them yet.

Why is it that you can ask for a quote from 100 different companies and
get 100 different quotes that can be up to £1000 different?? Clearly it is
because there is no hard and fast rule about what 'risk' there is with a
particular car or how often they are stolen or what style they tend to be
driven in or how many accidents they are involved in statistically...
obviously every company has a different way to calculate it and calculate
the price you should pay....

In other words... it's all a load of b*llocks!

I've been with Elephant for years and they have consistently been the
cheapest quote - however I wanted to change this year because they
pissed me off with a back dated payment just before xmas... so I looked
around and within 10 minutes online I have manage to knock their
renewal quote of £570 down to £370... Why are they suddenly giving me
crap quotes?? ... probably because they can.. and they'll hope that
because I've been with them for years I'll just renew without thinking
about it....

It's all a rip off.. they should all be closed down and there should be some
government-rated cost that you pay for insurance that is compulsory so
that you can't get out of paying it... then we wouldn't have to pay more to
cover all the uninsured drivers...

That's another con... why should our premiums go up because the
insurance companies have to make back the money they lose on
uninsured drivers???? Why can't they get this money back from the arse
that is involved in the accident without being insured? Fine them enough
that they don't need to charge us more!!! Sell their organs or something...

Rant rant rant...    

E46 2000 330i Saloon
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 08:42

m3sport - sorry to hear of your trouble; hope it gets sorted to somekind of satisfaction.

Dergside - you were in the E39 on that particular Galway run; I spent a fair bit of time trying to keep up on the way home!

Sorry I'm useless on second-hand value of cars, so I won't vote.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 12:28

I hate to say it but in this current economic climate your own idea of what your car is worth is probably a lot less than it is actually worth.

In the UK I certainly wouldn't expect to pay over £10k for any E36 M3 these days.

My advice would be to sell the plate and the hard top to make back some of the cash.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 12:41
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

My advice would be to sell the plate and the hard top to make back some of the cash.

Irish reg plates can't be sold or transferred - once a car is allocated a number then they are married for life.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 12:50

As an aside, I see Revenue would like to extort €1,000 off people to reserve a number plate.

Could never see the appeal of a personalised plate in this country but sure there you go.

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 14:21

The reg for the car cost €350. 

Dough, you cant compare prices for used cars between Ireland and the uk.  Example, my m3 was reg before july 08, which means she is €1500 a year to tax.  If i reg one after July 08, it will be €2000 a year to tax.  So, 5 years taxing the car here, would be €2500 extra spent.  So in theory, a 98 m3 here reg before july 08, is cheaper to tax than a 98 reg after July, which would make a sale of an imported car after july more difficult.  Such a great system we Irish have tut tut tut.   

You must also remember that, dough a good e36 m3 cabrio might be worth 5-7k for a 98 in the uk, that there is vrt to be paid for here too. 

Dough i reckon i could easily  bring in a similar car to mine for 9k inc vrt (or a little over) it will be 500 a year more exp to tax!  Now, are my insurance going to pay me for this extra tax?  I think not..........Insurance is meant to be there to help, bollex to that, they only help themselves. 

Also, my insurance policy is irish, so valuations should not be based on the UK market by them.  The assessor had the cheek to tell me that I would grab myself a great deal by going to the UK to purchase the same car again.

On the other hand, i dropped my laptop from the table and broke it, and without any receipts or anything required, they sent me a cheque for €1700 to replace it.  I almost fell off the chair when it arrived......

I miss my m3.......
seanmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2009 at 09:58

Take the money, then buy the car back from them, I did it before.

This way you can have a donor car and swap all the good bits and bobs back on.

But....make sure you check they will sell to you before you take the cheque!

Edited by seanmul
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2009 at 10:13

Originally posted by m3sport<SPAN lang=EN-US>Dough i reckon i could easily  bring in a similar car to mine for 9k inc vrt (or a little over) it will be 500 a year more exp to tax! </SPAN>[/QUOTE m3sportDough i reckon i could easily  bring in a similar car to mine for 9k inc vrt (or a little over) it will be 500 a year more exp to tax! [/QUOTE wrote:

Not so.  The CO2 based roadtax rates do not apply to cars first registered before 01/01/2008.  This is the case for cars originally registered here or importe

Not so.  The CO2 based roadtax rates do not apply to cars first registered before 01/01/2008.  This is the case for cars originally registered here or imported.

The VRT rate is nor CO2 based though and has been since July 2008.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2009 at 10:56

Get the insurance company to give you 2 quotes. You have one quote already- they take your car and pay you. If you have whats now left of your pride and joy parked at home or at a friends secure premises and the insurance company has not incurred any costs in transporting the damaged vehicle yet - you are in a more powerful bargaining position. Ask them for a settlement to write the car off and you hold on to it. I am of the opinion that you will come out substancially better off financially. The dealers of damaged cars can be removed from the transaction and as a result the damaged vehicle will find its way into the hands of a more plucky purchaser. This has worked for me in the past and I have convinced a good number of friends that owned desirable cars to do likewise.      

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic