Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBonnet Release Lever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonnet Release Lever
    Posted: 22-January-2009 at 16:50

Help, I can't get my bonnet open!

The lever inside the car is pulling up fine, but the lever in the grill is only partially coming up stops firmly.  Bonnet is lifting slightly, but  hits a stop after just travelling about 1-2cm.

Went to the local BM dealer, but they wanted to book it in to look at it instead of even having a quick go tp release it.

Anybody any ideas?

thanks PMC

Sponsored Links

wackenzie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 08:41

Hi Again,

does anyone have any pictures of the mechanism (e39) to let me see where I could put a coat hanger through to try and release it?  Starting to panic now, need washer fluid!

PMC

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 09:18
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
wackenzie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 11:23

Kbannon, thanks for that drawing, between that and a picture I found on the web I could see exactly where the mechanism was.

Made up a bend bit of 4mm bar, slotted through the grill, slight pull, and hey presto.  Greased up everything to do with it, and it opens with ease now.

Defientely should be a PM to keep the grease on that slot and bolt.

If someone can tell me how to add photos I'll post some up for reference.

Much relieved PMC.

Dave E View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 17:54
Ah! I reckon my catch needs greasing as the bonnet catch only partially pops forward but stays level with the grill. I have got into the long term habit of giving the bonnet a little lift up to the stop for the release lever to pop out for me to lift it. Yes! Habit makes one lazy!
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 18:28
Originally posted by wackenzie wackenzie wrote:

If someone can tell me how to add photos I'll post some up for reference.

See Posting Images on the Forum
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Blackwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2009 at 14:16
Been having a problem with mine too, does anyone know if there should be a roller on the bar that levers the release arm or is it a metal to metal action?
pauliexjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauliexjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2009 at 19:11
Mine's metal to metal and sticks frequently despite being well greased. I'm wondering if a small nylon bush might not be an answer.
I'm only here for the beer!
535i E39 in Atlantis blue
Shogun Sport 3.0 V6 lpg converted ('er in doors' baby!)
Yamaha XV750 trike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic