Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour Oil Questions answered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2005 at 16:33

Personally I like it. LL01 approved and one that we sell.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/Mobil%20and%20Motul/8100 _E-tech_0W-40_3100.pdf

I find the use of 0w pretty extreme as it was originally designed for the artic and therefore tend to recommend 5w for UK use. 

This one by Motul is also worth considering for a road car.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/Mobil%20and%20Motul/Spec ific_LL-01_5W-30_8228_(GB).pdf

I still prefer the PRO S but I consider this a true race spec oil and built with higher tolerances for this reason. Extreme, Yes but "belt and braces" if the car is used hard.

Cheers

Simon

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
Sponsored Links

Garfield View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2005 at 17:19

I go with the oilman (but then I'm biased I bought my oil from him).

I use the Pro S in my 5, I don't race it or rag it but I do use the full rev range from time to time (keeps engines healthy).

I can't claim any miracles have happened but then considering you are relying on this substance to protect the very core of the car which costs 1000's to replace, if it cost me a £100 per oil change for oil I would pay it (and oilman doesn't charge anywhere near this for a single 5 litre by the way), considering I replaced it in October last year and it likely won't get replaced until October next year the way the LED's are looking - still got 4 !!. As a full synthetic it has to be OK up to 10k.

Cheating on oil is like cheating on tyres and brakes ... false economy and not worth it.

ChasesDragons View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2005 at 05:18

Hello Simon,

Thanks for a great service!, could you pls recommend oils for the following application? This is a vehicle for commuting, 100 - 120 miles (round trip) a day at fairly high speeds (M6), after a stop-start crawl from starting to the Motorway which lasts about 20 mins. The vehicle has done 100,600 miles.

Just out of interest, there is an idea that older engines and especially higher mileage Diesels may be better off using a thicker oil than what is recommended by the manuafacturers at the time of building. Apparently this is to take into account the larger tolerences after wear. Do you think this is relevant?

Would love to know your prices - pls PM me or Email me. I am in NorthWest UK, to help calculate S&H.

Warmest Regards
Udhi

Make: BMW

Model: 325TDS SE

Year: 1996 NOV

Engine size: 2.5

Engine type (petrol/diesel): Intercooled Turbo Diesel

Any Mods: Planning a chip in the future (more fuel, higher charging), I would like recommendations and prices for both pls)

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 09:39

UDHI,

For your car I would stick with the recomended grade of 5w-40 full synthetic.

For best results go for a bmw approved one and at the top of the scale is the Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 ester/pao synthetic followed by the Motul 8100 excess 5w-40 and the mobil 1 0w-40.

Your engine is not really old enough to suffer from excessive wear to the point you need to step out of grade.

Most oils these days are for both diesel and petrol, so you will need an ACEA A3/B3 spec oil.

For a full price list, drop me a mail to sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Simon.

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 19:19
Quick question.

I've changed the oil and put in the Silkolene Pro S 5w40.What I've noticed,apart from the engine running quieter,is the oil temp gauge is 10-15 degrees hotter at running temp than it used to be.Is there any reason why this should be?
michael hawkins View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 06:50

Hello

Ive been reading a lot of posts on oil grades and viscosity on this forum but I have a question.

What happens if I were to mix equal amounts of fully synthetic mobil 1 15/ 50 with a fully synthetic 5/40 grade oil. Would I have a 10-45 oil  or what.  The reason Im asking is that my m3 3.0 has noisy vanos gears when engine is hot. The mobil 1 15/50 helps reduce this noise. but makes the car rough on start up and warm up.  My idea is that if I mixed them together in equal amounts then Id have the befefit of a 5w for cold start and the added protection of the /50. Please can any one answer this.  Ive just changed to the mobil one 15-50 and im wondering if i can drain half of it out and add 3.5 liters of 5/40.  If not ill have to buy 8 liters of oil all over agian in the space of two weeks -Not Cheap!

harvard468 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 15:50

Michael,

If you really want a thick oil at operating temperatures why not try Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-50. Alternatively Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 - this is ester based synthetic and often regarded of higher quality than normal pao synthetics.  Oilman will give you advice on this, especially the advantages of thinner oils (performance and economy but a bit more vanos noise) and also get you some at a good price.

Regards

STEPHEN B

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
1999 E38 740i (Had to go)
2001 E39 M5
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 19:32

Originally posted by micky_h micky_h wrote:

Quick question.

I've changed the oil and put in the Silkolene Pro S 5w40.What I've noticed,apart from the engine running quieter,is the oil temp gauge is 10-15 degrees hotter at running temp than it used to be.Is there any reason why this should be?

There's no logical one, what's it reading?

Cheers

Simon

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 19:35
Originally posted by michael hawkins michael hawkins wrote:

Hello

Ive been reading a lot of posts on oil grades and viscosity on this forum but I have a question.

What happens if I were to mix equal amounts of fully synthetic mobil 1 15/ 50 with a fully synthetic 5/40 grade oil. Would I have a 10-45 oil  or what.  The reason Im asking is that my m3 3.0 has noisy vanos gears when engine is hot. The mobil 1 15/50 helps reduce this noise. but makes the car rough on start up and warm up.  My idea is that if I mixed them together in equal amounts then Id have the befefit of a 5w for cold start and the added protection of the /50. Please can any one answer this.  Ive just changed to the mobil one 15-50 and im wondering if i can drain half of it out and add 3.5 liters of 5/40.  If not ill have to buy 8 liters of oil all over agian in the space of two weeks -Not Cheap!

Indeed if they were equal 10w-45.

Personally I would not mix as there's no great benefit and addative packs differ. I would use Silkolene 10w-50 which should quieten things down and give better cold start protection.

Cheers

Simon

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 08:49
Hi Simon

The reading on the oil temp gauge used to be around 80c,since the oil change it's jumped up to 90-95c.Just wondering why thats all.

Amazed at the difference in the engine noise though,so much queiter at idle now   
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 06:32

I wouldn't worry, 90-95 degC is not high and a good 5w-40 like the one you are using is not stretched until 120degC plus.

Cheers

Simon

harveysbmw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 17:01

I need to top up the oil on my 2001 520i 2.2 that has been BMW main dealer serviced from new.

In order to ensure that I add the same type of oil, could you let me know the oil BMW dealers are most likely to have used?

harvard468 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 18:24

The service invoices should show the oil put in the car.  I expect your car has the extended drain periods (around 15,000 miles) so probably Castrol SLX LL-01 0w-30.

STEPHEN B

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
1999 E38 740i (Had to go)
2001 E39 M5
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 05:29

I'm not sure what they will have used but it should have been a 0w-30, 0w-40 or 5w-40.

Cheers, Simon

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2005 at 04:00

Simon,

You said in the latest issue of the club magazine that a decent synthetic oil should be good for about 12,000 miles. How then do manufacturers get away with 20,000 mile service intervals on the latest models?

Just interested since I like the sound of such a long interval between payouts!

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2005 at 05:12

Indeed, I'm from the old school and although BMW Approved LL01 oils are supposed to cope with longer service periods than 12000 miles / 12 months due to narrow viscosities, synthetic technology and low shear rates, I've never been happy with the claims. My reasoning for this is based around the fact that addative packs get used up over a period of time and the oil becomes less effective as a package.

I am always more comfortable with the old school thinking of 12000 miles or 12 months as the maximum oil change period.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Simon

Nibs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 14:37

Hi Simon,

First off I have to say that I have found this thread fascinating. How refreshing to have access to people who actually know what they're talking about! Keep up the good work!

Here's a 'different one' for you. I have 3 E3s with the M30 engines - a '73 3.0Si (73k miles from new); a '75 3.3Li (manual (LHD) - mileage unknown) & a '74 3.0Si being restored with a brand new engine. The 1970s BMW handbook/s specify 20W40 or 50 for year-round use, with changes every 5k or, 6 months.

My questions are:-

1. What 'modern' oils would you suggest for the first two? They don't do many miles per year (3-4k) and don't use a drop of oil, despite some 'enthusiastic' driving. The oil gets changed on average every 12-18 months and they've been using GTX Magnatec so far.

2. The third car has a factory-fresh unit with 0 miles. Is there a synthetic that you'd recommend for that?

Presumably, the tolerances in these engines aren't as fine as modern units and I'm intrigued to know what you think would work best.

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2005 at 08:22
Originally posted by Nibs Nibs wrote:

Hi Simon,

First off I have to say that I have found this thread fascinating. How refreshing to have access to people who actually know what they're talking about! Keep up the good work!

Here's a 'different one' for you. I have 3 E3s with the M30 engines - a '73 3.0Si (73k miles from new); a '75 3.3Li (manual (LHD) - mileage unknown) & a '74 3.0Si being restored with a brand new engine. The 1970s BMW handbook/s specify 20W40 or 50 for year-round use, with changes every 5k or, 6 months.

My questions are:-

1. What 'modern' oils would you suggest for the first two? They don't do many miles per year (3-4k) and don't use a drop of oil, despite some 'enthusiastic' driving. The oil gets changed on average every 12-18 months and they've been using GTX Magnatec so far.

2. The third car has a factory-fresh unit with 0 miles. Is there a synthetic that you'd recommend for that?

Presumably, the tolerances in these engines aren't as fine as modern units and I'm intrigued to know what you think would work best.

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

David,

Sorry for the delay, it appears my notification function must have been switched off!

Anyway, my recommendations:

Tolerances will be wider but the BMW recommendation that counts is the sae 40 and sae 50 which indicates the required viscosity at oil temps of 40 and 100degC.

20w is an old rating and oils have moved on since the 70's. The problem with 20w is the cold start flow which is essential to prevent engine wear as 90% of engine wear occurs when you turn the key!

I would suggest that so long as you respect the sae 40 and sae 50 viscosities (sae 40 = 14cst and sae 50 = 18.5cst) that you will be fine with a modern synthetic in the correct viscosity range.

My recommendations based on quality are for a BMW Approved product like Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 or PRO R 15w-50.

This will give you the sae 50 protection that you require and better cold start protection than a 20W.

Bear in mind that oil is around 40 times thicker at 0degC than it is at 100degC so you'll have plenty of vicosity when cold and the correct amount when hot.

On a newer engine with narrower tolerances I would look at using the Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 which is also BMW Approved.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Simon

David Pott View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2005 at 19:32

Super fast service from Opie Oils.

Have used Silkolene ProS 5w-40 in my 110,000 mile 1985 323i. I really can't explain how nice the engine sounds on this oil....at 90mph she just rings as any good piece of engineering should when working well.

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2005 at 04:51

It's a great oil and BMW Approved.

It's fine for a daily driver but more designed as a race oil which means top quality synthetic basestocks.

Cheers

Simon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic