Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScamera poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 29>
Poll Question: Are scameras good for road safety ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
4 [8.00%]
44 [88.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 16:28
As I say the majority are not necessarily supportive but then again not against. They go with the flow ( status quo ) it is these you have to convince, they hold the key & power over government. Others are utilising their ambivilence to their advantage, while the anti camera brigade don't fight smart for what they want & isolate themselves from the government rather than playing smart & getting MPs onside.
Sponsored Links

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 16:34
Thanks for that -- I'll start pestering my MP immediately.

No doubt he will be very grateful to you.
Ciao,
Spokey

alpinanut View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 17:04
The numbers on the poll say it all for me , I am unable to vote yet, but if I could I would join the majority.  I also feel no need to argue my case.    
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 17:08
Originally posted by alpinanut alpinanut wrote:

The numbers on the poll say it all for me , I am unable to vote yet, but if I could I would join the majority.  I also feel no need to argue my case.    

Your not getting my message though.
It's no good looking at a poll here & thinking comfortably that you have a lot of support, so things will turn out how you want. The majority here isn't the scoring that the government is seeing. You've got to wake up & look outside before it's too late. It's people feeling they don't have to argue their case that plays into the hands of others. It will all have passed you by before you even have time to join the debate. You'll be looking back thinking how the hell did that get by us.

They can even put speed cameras in cat's eyes on the road.
Are you really going to base a vote for a government just on the speed camera issue alone ?

Edited by livvy
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 17:22
One thing I have noticed about these speeding debates is how the Pro Camera lobby always take the credit  for the reduction in deaths and injury by the use of cameras when in fact in the years since they came into use the credit should go to the manufacturers for producing  much safer cars. Airbags, ABS brakes, better tyres, crumple zones, safety cells, electronic brake distribution, anti skid control, four wheel drive etc, etc, have contributed many times more to the reductions in deaths and injuries in recent years than all the speed cameras. Their investment in research and development and that of companies that produce and supply them with the advanced technology that now is used in cars outweighs by far the single minded blinkered approach of putting up cameras everywhere. As I have said before it was a gut reaction initially that snowballed as it  became obvious they were a money spinner for the govt and police.
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 17:22

Livvy

I'm very grateful for your posts on here, looks like I've even got one more candidate for the IAM from this thread.

I realise your going to get bored eventually repeating yourself over and over, and apart from a few "nitpicking" things, I know your correct.

I don't have permission to reproduce this, but I'm sure the IAM will forgive me, in the context of the thread , and a lot of people out there , me included, never thought we'd see this, in print !

" One major objective is to increase the influence that the IAM brings to bear on parliamentarians, in order to promote our road safety mission"

Add that to the anti scamera press release earlier in the year, actually in conjunction with Mr Brunstrom, I actually think the IAM are beginning to listen to their membership.

I hope you'll stick around Livvy

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 17:23
Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

One thing I have noticed about these speeding debates is how the Pro Camera lobby always take the credit  for the reduction in deaths and injury by the use of cameras when in fact in the years since they came into use the credit should go to the manufacturers for producing  much safer cars. Airbags, ABS brakes, better tyres, crumple zones, safety cells, electronic brake distribution, anti skid control, four wheel drive etc, etc, have contributed many times more to the reductions in deaths and injuries in recent years than all the speed cameras. Their investment in research and development and that of companies that produce and supply them with the advanced technology that now is used in cars outweighs by far the single minded blinkered approach of putting up cameras everywhere. As I have said before it was a gut reaction initially that snowballed as it  became obvious they were a money spinner for the govt and police.

The cars with all these safety features are available in all the countries of the world.

So what sets our figures apart from the other countries of the world if we are using the same vehicles ?

The Police keep no money from speeding enforcement. They are not in it because it swells their budget to spend on other matters. They don't get the money.

I am not necessarily pro camera, I am not necessarily anti camera.
I believe they are a valueable tool that should be used & targeted to only problem sites. I do however believe that there does need to be Police enforcement of speeding. I do believe that there is greater need for education & training. I do believe that there is a need for re-testing. I do believe that it could be possible to have variable limits on motorways (sometimes higher than our current limits).

If you think I am anti driver you have got me all wrong. The message I am giving is that if you want to be included in shaping the future of our road useage you have got to get your heads out of the sand, stop saying the government have got it all wrong & the majority think like you. The numbers in this poll & passion of members here is not shared by the vast majority out there. You have got to win the hearts & minds of the apathetic & you won't do that polarising yourselves, indignant that you & you alone are right without trying to see what the other side are about. You can only get what you want on this by being involved in the process which will make you a voice that is listened to. When you are outside shouting no-one will hear you.

In some ways I am playing Devil's advocate here. I am trying to make you see that cameras being about making money is a red herring for you. The people who keep pedalling this to you are leading you down the wrong path. Not one person has yet countered the reasons I put up on page 1 that showed it wasn't about money. You've got to show that you are about road safety & promoting it, not just make it look like you're fed up with getting convicted for speeding. That just makes you look like an bitter criminal. You need to look like someone who is concerned & wants to see standards improved. When you've got the governments ear (because they want to hear that) then you can slip in the message about camears not being the most effective way & that they can alienate the people from the government if over used.

Edited by livvy
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 17:46
I've never been convicted for speeding. 
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 17:52
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I've never been convicted for speeding. 

But if you simply slate their use & align yourself with others that do the same that is how the government will view you. You won't get an invite to the party because you are viewed as anti-safety. Driving groups have got to promote a safety message & that doesn't mean shouting they want to be able to speed & not get caught on camera. That means they need to focus more on being positive in suggestions rather than negative. Offer better viable alternatives. The other side will be convincing the government that more cameras are the answer, they will be talking to the government about the positive benefits of cameras & the government will be listening to them because they are saying the magic words promoting road safety, while they will hear you giving negative messages.

Remember these days anyone who complains gets ignored by those in authority. I see it at work all the time, you are just seen as obstructive. Go to them with a positive outlook however, full of enthuasiasm, with a "there's no such thing as a problem only a challenge" attitude & they'll listen to you.

Still nobody has countered the things I put on page 1, if you can't do that how are you going to convince a government. The answer is you can't counter those arguments effectively, so you are going to have to live with some cameras, but while you are not involved in the processes more & more cameras could go up. You've got to get in there be positive & lobby to get some of the money from camera partnerships spent on other intiatives rather being spent on putting up more cameras. You are going to find it hard to get all the current cameras removed you are fighting a losing battle. The battle you can win is making sure no more go up & you won't do that by attacking the use of the current ones instead of promoting other avenues.

Edited by livvy
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 18:01
Livvy, great debate but its past my bedtime as I must be up for work at 5.30AM. If you look at my post early in the debate you will see I agree there is a need for cameras but its gone beyond using them as a safety measure, there are to many factors involved for the authorities to just keep throwing cameras up everywhere, driving standards are terrible and there is not enough being done to improve them or to police the poor drivers that surround you everytime we go on the road. I'm sorry but I can never believe that constantly hammering the motorist with the speeding fines is going to improve things on our roads. Anyway goodnight hope to see you on here again. Steve.
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 18:21
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I realise your going to get bored eventually repeating yourself over and over, and apart from a few "nitpicking" things, I know your correct.

Realise or hoping ?

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 18:29

Realise, I hope you'll stick around.

I need all the help I can get on here to try and convince these guys to take the training thats on offer to them, and to join the groups that hopefully can start to make a difference to safety policy.

Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 18:31
It's like the lottery.

You've got to be in it to win it.

Edited by livvy
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 19:24
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

That of course is your opinion that you are safe travelling in excess of our speed limits. Who has tested you in that assertion & what were their qualifications ?

where in my post did i say it was my opinion.

i have driven for over 22 years on the road in every type of car , lorry , van , bus , motorcycle, i love to drive.
just this weekend i have been to brush up on my high speed driving, car control in snow and on black ice ,also hazard perception and to see if my skill has improved from last time or got worse.
avoidence control and awareness.
in 1999 i had a 88% pass rate.
in 2004 i had a 95% pass rate.
every aspect of day to day driving is involved and even extreame conditions.
i have road race , track race ,off road rally and cross in cars and motorcycles.
i do this because i want to be the best and safest driver i can be at all times ,not just when i passed my driving test.
there are other things i do that i cannot and will not put on a web site forum or anywhere else.

i have never had a my fault accident, i have been knocked off my bike 3 times by people saying sorry i didnt see you, it was daytime clear weather and i was stopped at the times in question, in my car i have been rear ended 2 times by people saying i didnt realise you was slowing even though my brake light were working fine.
all the above was below 20mph and yet i am as you say a criminal for speeding.
i have never caused a accident either.

my qualifications are for me and me alone so i can be a better and more skillful operator of a dangerous weapon we call viehcles.
i dont do the thing i do to bragg or for anyone else for that matter and i do not justify my qualifications to anyone ,as i said they are for me.

read this post of mine from another.

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=23918&T PN=2
i live everyday with what a traffic accident can do but it was not speed that was the cause.

the missus has said to me if i go out anymore than i do i may as well not come back , if i keep trying to improve myself in the things i like to do i will become somebody else.

what are your qualifications ?
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2005 at 19:40
Originally posted by skull skull wrote:

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

That of course is your opinion that you are safe travelling in excess of our speed limits. Who has tested you in that assertion & what were their qualifications ?

where in my post did i say it was my opinion.

i have driven for over 22 years on the road in every type of car , lorry , van , bus , motorcycle, i love to drive.
just this weekend i have been to brush up on my high speed driving, car control in snow and on black ice ,also hazard perception and to see if my skill has improved from last time or got worse.
avoidence control and awareness.
in 1999 i had a 88% pass rate.
in 2004 i had a 95% pass rate.
every aspect of day to day driving is involved and even extreame conditions.
i have road race , track race ,off road rally and cross in cars and motorcycles.
i do this because i want to be the best and safest driver i can be at all times ,not just when i passed my driving test.
there are other things i do that i cannot and will not put on a web site forum or anywhere else.

i have never had a my fault accident, i have been knocked off my bike 3 times by people saying sorry i didnt see you, it was daytime clear weather and i was stopped at the times in question, in my car i have been rear ended 2 times by people saying i didnt realise you was slowing even though my brake light were working fine.
all the above was below 20mph and yet i am as you say a criminal for speeding.
i have never caused a accident either.

my qualifications are for me and me alone so i can be a better and more skillful operator of a dangerous weapon we call viehcles.
i dont do the thing i do to bragg or for anyone else for that matter and i do not justify my qualifications to anyone ,as i said they are for me.

read this post of mine from another.

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=23918&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;T PN=2
i live everyday with what a traffic accident can do but it was not speed that was the cause.

the missus has said to me if i go out anymore than i do i may as well not come back , if i keep trying to improve myself in the things i like to do i will become somebody else.

what are your qualifications ?

Skull don't take it the wrong way, it is not a personal attack on you.

I applaud you for doing all that you can to improve yourself, but at the sametime I suspect that you are not going to be able to tell me that you have been instructed & tested on our public roads to drive at high speeds in excess of the speed limits in a private car. Why do I say this ? Because nobody can lawfully do that unless you have an exemption from the speed limits. So that would mean that whatever your assertions you have not had any authority conferred on you & you have not been tested to those parameters, or be allowed to do it with free reign or of course you would post it here.

Of course driving at speed on tracks can help you in exploring car handling limits & techniques, but the track is not a good comparison to driving at high speeds on public roads & interracting safely with all concerned. They are totally different skills & disciplines. You should of course never be approaching your, the vehicles or the conditions limits on public roads, like you can on the track, because it is a controled environment. Any idiot can of course drive fast on public roads, but how fast they drive isn't the measure of how good they are. Different competencies are held in higher regard.

It never cease to amaze me how many people spend a lot of money having track tuition but then don't spend any money having further on road tuition (I am not saying that is you skull). Where do they do most of their driving though ? Which is the more dangerous place & has the most fatalities ? Rather than spending all your money on track days (I'm not saying that there isn't some value to be gained from doing some of it) spend some of it on improving your on road driving by joining the IAM , RoADA , HPC etc.

People say, oh I haven't got the spare money, but the IAM & RoADA  people (like Nigel) are doing it for free. You are putting in a minimal financial investment that really covers not much more than administration, the larger investment is opening your minds & giving up your time to broaden your experience. People balk at paying £85 for a skills for life package with IAM, but will happily fork out a couple of hundred pounds for a large bore exhaust or other car mod. What does that say about their committment to good driving on our roads. Now I may be preaching to the converted here (in you skull ) but how many does what I have just said apply to ?

The only way though skull that you can actually talk with authority about how safely you can interract with other traffic at very high speed on public roads is if you have been tested at that & tested by someone qualified to test in it. Have you ? Because if not saying that you are competent doesn't really amount to much does it ? (as there isn't anything to back it up )

Has any of your track training been with HPC by chance ?

It's not about me talking about me interracting with traffic at high speeds, I've said I obey the speed limits. It is you talking about you being able to do it safely , I merely asked what your qualifications are to show that you have completed a valid assessment, of on public road high speed driving & been found to be competent.

As I say again I applaud what you do to improve your driving & if only everyone would take further training, then driving on our roads may be a little more pleasant for everybody.

Of course it does also go without saying that whatever your ability level on track or road it does not mean you can exceed our speed limits & not expect to get a ticket if caught.

Edited by livvy
sharon.... View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 03:19
we want more speed cams!!! lol
look....cut the cr4p and show us ya willy
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 03:37
Originally posted by sharon.... sharon.... wrote:

Thank you for that reasoned contribution to the debate.
Ciao,
Spokey

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 06:46
livvy you said " It's not about me talking about me interracting with traffic at high speeds, I've said I obey the speed limits. It is you talking about you being able to do it safely."

if this is not personal. the word YOU that you typed in your post does this and is directed at me.

i am not repeating myself , it seems to me you read what you want to read and answer questions with questions , you use government and government funded figures.

i have driven in full view of the police and with the police on british roads at high speeds.
i did not say i only had track training , that is you not reading my post correctly.

what are your qualifications to justify what you say and what are your driving qualifications for you to be able to prove all you say is correct.
i have never said speeding is right and i do not condone anyone useing anything that they are not fully qualified to do so.

answer a question without asking a question as the answer as this just goes around in circles.
this will be my last post on this subject as you do not seem to grasp that no one is right or wrong , yes even you .

and if speed cameras are about safety and not money, why not remove the fines and just up the points to say anything over a % you get 6 points , caught twice and you are banned.

i dont think anyone can say they have never gone over the speed limit as speedometers are and have not always been accurate.
you are saying you dont speed and never have because you may legaly may not be able to because of your job.
1mph over the limit is still classed as speeding and i can honestly say i dont believe you .
thankyou for the debate and i have more important things to concentrate on than somebody who thinks the are always correct.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
sharon.... View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 07:52

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Originally posted by sharon.... sharon.... wrote:

Thank you for that reasoned contribution to the debate.

no problem, im always glad to help

talk bout hot heads lighten up mr sarkey

look....cut the cr4p and show us ya willy
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 12:09
Originally posted by skull skull wrote:

if this is not personal. the word YOU that you typed in your post does this and is directed at me.

Please read what I said.
I said " It's not a personal attack on you" , the meaning it concerns you (in the pertinent parts) but I am not attacking you on this issue, I am enquiring.

i am not repeating myself , it seems to me you read what you want to read and answer questions with questions , you use government and government funded figures.

Please see above, with regards to who is reading what words & deleting words to get their own interpretation on it.

The hard numbers are undeniable, they are not just government figures.
The spin only comes from the interpretation that people put on them. Not the numbers.

i have driven in full view of the police and with the police on british roads at high speeds.
i did not say i only had track training , that is you not reading my post correctly.

I didn't say you only had track training,I infact said when I was talking about people spending money on cars instead of on road training that I specifically wasn't talking about you, but you still don't say where you have done on road training & who with qualified to teach it at speeds in excess of our limits. I took it as read that you have done on road training with someone qualified to teach & examine you in it at speeds upto our limits. I've applauded it. It's the beyond our limits I'm talking about.

You still haven't given any details of where you have had this instruction & test by someone competent & qualified to make that assessment. Being in a car will a Policeman doesn't cover that. Or are you saying "in riddles" that you were instructed by a fully qualified Police driving instructor to drive above our limits & then examined by a qualified Police driving examiner. Is that it & where would that of been ?

what are your qualifications to justify what you say and what are your driving qualifications for you to be able to prove all you say is correct.

What exactly do I need to be qualified in to ask the above question ?
What qualifications do I need to prove what is correct ?
I'm not being obstructive I'd like clarification on what particular issue my qualifications would help in proving. If they will help in that then perhaps I will.

i have never said speeding is right and i do not condone anyone useing anything that they are not fully qualified to do so.

So if you have driven in excess of our speed limits, that means that at the time you were doing so it was for Fire, Police or Ambulance purposes.

answer a question without asking a question as the answer as this just goes around in circles.
this will be my last post on this subject as you do not seem to grasp that no one is right or wrong , yes even you .

I suggest the questions need to be more direct, clear & pertinent.
As I have asked about "Have you been tested by a qualified examiner to drive safely in excess of our limits ?"

As far as the law is concerned with speeding it is very black & white (right & wrong). Unless it is for a Police, fire or ambulance purposes it is illegal.

and if speed cameras are about safety and not money, why not remove the fines and just up the points to say anything over a % you get 6 points , caught twice and you are banned.

Come come now.
Can you imagine the uproar that would cause because of the hardship. (Punishment fitting crime & all). The vast majority of people who get speeding convictions I am quite sure would gladly pay double the fine to avoid the points (even if they are convinced it is about income generation). It is the points they really hate, it is them that hurt & worry them. For me personally it makes no odds because I stick to limits, but for others I doubt it. As I've said already & nobody came back on this point, the fact that points are issued at all is indicative of it not being about money, because your customer base disappears if they lose their licences. I mean your best customers (those doing say 30mph over a limit) can get banned in one hit. That is not a sound business plan if you want to make money from them.

Who else here would rather no fine & double points ?........honest answers welcome, cast your votes.

i dont think anyone can say they have never gone over the speed limit as speedometers are and have not always been accurate.

Speedos are not allowed to underread by law, they are allowed to overread. To that end speedo error is built in that works in your favour with keeping to limits.

thankyou for the debate and i have more important things to concentrate on than somebody who thinks the are always correct.

I've never said I am always correct or as somebody else said earlier perfect either. The perfect driver or even the perfect drive does not exist. You can't drive for any great length of time without making at least one small (if inconsequential) error.

I said I have an open mind, so educate me. Tell me where I'm wrong & offer good reasoning for it. I am big enough to accept it if you can convince me. If you decide not to take that path, then goodbye & thank you for the debate.

Edited by livvy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 29>
  Share Topic