Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRenamed: Thanks for a good meeting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 09:46

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Out of curiosity, why have the club decided to send over a committee member given that for several years they showed no interest in the Irish region?

Can non-members attend the meeting?

The sudden interest was what I was wondering about.  The timing does seem curious.

As regards non-members, as far as I'm concerned this is an opportunity for non-members to hear about the club activities and to give opinions about the things that will make it worth their while to join the club.  Consider it like an open day (in fact it was attending one of these meetings in Athlone a coupleof years ago that finally made me get my finger out and join). 

For that reason, in my opinion, all are welcome.  The Board member is welcome too.  It should be a open meeting and with plenty of room on the agenda for AOB, as these meetings have before, with a full and frank exchange of views to be encouraged from all, members, non-members and board members alike.  Anthing less will only be to sweep the issues under the carpet that are on peoples minds.  That can't be helpful.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Sponsored Links

aubergine View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Out of curiosity, why have the club decided to send
over a committee member given that for several years they showed no
interest in the Irish region?Can non-members attend the meeting?

Can both of these questions please be answered?

I for one would like to know what the 'agenda' is for this meeting.

If it is to be an open forum for discussion regarding "the future of BMW
related activities in Ireland" then forum and club members need this
information in advance, particularly in light of a member of the club's
committee being in attendance which in itself appears to be a new
departure.
1999 E36 323 Coupé, 1994 E34 530 Touring, 2006 F800s.
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 18:00

Thanks aubergine for your post

Some answers regarding the Agenda and who can attend. This is from my opening post on this thread

The meeting would be held as BMW Car Club (Irish Section) event. In light of recent happenings, lapsed members, future members, forum members are welcome.

The purpose of the meeting would be

• Discuss the role of the BMW Car Club in Ireland
  • Discuss the role of the Bavarian Board forum
  • Plan BMW car related events for 2007
  • General discussion on what a "car club" is for
    • What inputs are expected from members
      • Financial
      • Time
    • What benefits are expected by members
      • Event Insurance
      • Magazine
      • Anything else?
    • What stucture should an Irish organisation have

I hope to begin a healthy debate on the future of BMW car related activities in Ireland, starting here on the forum and concluding with the meeting.

End Quote

If anyone has specific items for the meeting, post them on this thread or PM me

Regarding why a director is coming, this is from the "meeting" thread on the BMW Car Club Forum

Hi Gerard
Been speaking with Andrew and it would seem to be a good idea if some of the board members come over for this meeting . So I am looking forward to coming over in January to meet you all.
Many thanks for all your help with the region. Please keep me informed about the date and venue.

Kind regards
Ross C. Harris

End Quote

I know no more than that. I have replied to him with the location Hodson Bay Hotel Athlone and the date Sunday 21 January 2007 at 2pm 

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 21:02
Can you contact the office and find out why there is a sudden interest in the Irish region and who nominated Mr. Harris to come over?

Also if you are going to contact them, maybe also ask them why both myself and Howard Walker were expelled from the club without being given a proper reason?

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 01:43
Seems like its just the same ol topics up for discussion again!!!
Richie

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 11:33

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to have a rep from the club office come over. Much better than just reporting to the office after the meeting. He can go back and tell them exactly what was said etc. And if they are going to pay then fair enough. Just make sure there are food and beverages provided as well.

Richie you need to update your avatar.

Killian that "For Me" thing is fantastic. Where did you get it?

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 13:34
Who's Ross Harris?
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 18:32
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Killian that "For Me" thing is fantastic. Where did you get it?

http://www.youaremighty.com/
1997 E39 523i
Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin_E30_318iS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 23:35
I would be concerned about the club sending over someone to attend the meeting. Sounds like they want to know exactly what is discussed, and if they sense that the Irish Section are not 'towing the line' they may either issue some sort of threat, or try to preempt any actions decided about the future of the Irish Section.

Of course, the car touch up paints and polish fumes may be making me paranoid
Kevin_1990_318iS
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2006 at 10:43

It doesn't 'sound' like that Kevin, it IS the reason why. And tis only right too, so why the concern.... Tis a region of the club, why not have representation?

And if they did issue such dictums, then fine too. Clarity is the way forward I reckon, and if they are prepared to come over & express satisfaction / unhappiness / guidance / support etc then that's good too. And if the attending members don't like it, we can express our view.

I can't see this as a threat. Sure we have the bones of a virtual carclub on this site now anyway....

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin_E30_318iS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 17:15
The potential problem is that attendees may not be prepared to express their opinions freely in the presence of a club official in case they get labelled as troublemakers or dissenters.
Kevin_1990_318iS
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 18:33

A reasonable point, Kevin. But, and I'm only being devils advocate here, if they're not prepared to express opinions on the club in the presence of a club official there isn't much hope for them to create change.

Anyway, this is neither here nor there in the context of the post.

I hope to be there.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 21:42

Originally posted by Richie Richie wrote:

Seems like its just the same ol topics up for discussion again!!!

Richie

The agenda is a draft.  Feel free to add items.  What's missing?

There seems to be some some suspicion about the presence of the board member but I thinks its a waste to be negative about it.   If anyone feels intimidated to make their views simply by the presence of such a person then the question has to be asked as to whether they feel strongly enough of their opinion?  If people have strong views about some aspect of the club or its activities, air them!

We've complained at meetings before about the disconnect between the Irish section and the board and committee.  Well, here's the chance to be heard.

The only thing I would ask of anyone that wants to contribute, please try and be constructive.  People really should have a think about the answers as well as the questions.  The leadership of the club should be driven by its members, and the members need to take a level of responsbility and ownership for what happens in the club,whether its at a local or board/committee level.  If the club is only about what others do for you then you really can't complain if it doesn't reflect your perspective or meet your needs.

Non-members or prospective members really should contribute too, and on the same terms - constructive, because their view of what the club should be is very valuable and may have the advantage of being more impartial.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 22:24
Agreed 100%, Dergside.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2006 at 23:35
Im in agreement also. Im glad that someone from the club has decided to come over. Im just curious about the motivation for this given recent actions by certain club officials.
1997 E39 523i
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2006 at 00:29
I'm similarly curious!  We should make the most of the attention to ensure that the views of the members and potential/former members are presented in a positive and constructive manner and fed back to the other board and comittee members to try and balance the negative approach from some of the club leadership.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
irelandoffline View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2006 at 14:50

I'm only here a wet week, literally, and whether my comments are worth anything or not it's up to you to decide.

If this guy to coming over to check out what is happening in the irish club, it would be nice to first see what he expects the club to be and what it should stand for. As least with him telling us this, we can structure the club better, and not be doing things with no real relevence to the club.

We might already be doing what he would like.

aubergine View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2006 at 10:13
I saw in the magazine that this meeting is now the AGM, is this correct?
1999 E36 323 Coupé, 1994 E34 530 Touring, 2006 F800s.
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2006 at 13:27

Yes the title AGM has been applied to the meeting.

This does not change the fact that everyone is welcome or the purpose of the meeting as so clearly stated by Dergside in his message of October 31

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2006 at 01:26

Hi Ger,

Must meet up for a pint and discuss prior to the meeting. I know that the owners of more aged BMWs would like support on a few things....

Thomas...

Edited by Curley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic