Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAre people really this stupid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 11:06

Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that BMW flog this massively underpowered car because they can, a person who knows nothing about cars would turn down a nicely specced VW Passat with a proper engine for this crummy little 3 Series. It's all about keeping up with the Jones'.

Sorry, but that is sterotypical nonsense that is a personal point of view based on your circumstances and preferences rather than looking at other peoples needs.

Perhaps they don't buy the 'proper engine' car because of the economy downturns, the servicing, the insurance and the residuals being less on a Passat?  Its got nothing to do with keeping up the the Joneses in many cases.

It seems to me that some of the people criticising base BMW drivers have more of an ego issue than those they're actually aiming their derision at!

How are you to know that Mr Smith over the road didn't chose the 316i over a Passat because of a particular factor that he had to consider that would never cross you mind?  How are you to know he wasn't offered a stonking deal?  How are you to know that he hasn't had a bad experience with a certain manufacturer previously?

Furthermore, maybe he was treated like royalty by his local BMW dealer when the average VAG dealer (and I have an Audi) offers a level of service close to being the worst in the industry (ask an Audi/VW forum)?

The point being, you're making huge assumptions and stereotyping in the extreme, purely because you wouldn't buy one!

Edited by Coasting

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Sponsored Links

Andrewf20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 14:09
Id rather have a Golf GTI for similar money.
Andrew Purcell
E36 323i
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 15:42
<Perhaps they don't buy the 'proper engine' car because of the economy downturns, the servicing, the insurance and the residuals being less on a Passat?  Its got nothing to do with keeping up the the Joneses in many cases.>quote

Well your wrong about that the Passat has class leading residual values and it may not have rear wheel drive but it still is a decent drive and they have one of the most opulent cabins i have ever been in. I personally think the 3 Series is a great car, but in this day and age the performance from the puny 1.6 litre isn't adequate, i doubt the new A4 that is due will have a 1.6 engine even. All 3 series from 318i on are grand, but as Andrewf20 just said, you could have a Golf GTI for the same price and i think i know where my money would be going. If it was 30 grand it would make perfect sense and i wouldn't be having this argument. And by the way check carzone, the dealers forecourts are full of unsold 316i's so i can see now i'm not on my own now with my opinion.

Edited by 635CSi
Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 15:44
There is obviously a market for the E90 316i, so BMW are providing this model to meet the market needs. People may purchase the new 316i for any number of reasons. Making gross generalisations about 316i drivers is unfair. I had an E30 316i for 9 years and was very happy with it.

Nobody has the right to pass judgement on anyone because of what they drive (except for big SUV drivers)

Live and let live.
Kevin_1990_318iS
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 15:54
Well i could say the same about you judging SUV drivers, people like the increased ride height and the flexibility they provide. Somebody came to me 2 weeks ago and asked me what i thought of the 316i after they just test drove one and i told them exactly what i thought and they agreed. They said it was very difficult to get it up a hill but the 318i felt way more up for the job. A debadged 316i is a proper pose mobile for D4's in their youth who can't see past the white and blue propeller badge. The standard equipment list is abysmal too. And to finish my argument the E30 3 Series was a lighter car and didn't need a big engine to get the best out of it. It's the 21st century, expectations of cars are higher.

Edited by 635CSi
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 16:06
You obviously didn't notice I was being tongue-in-cheek about SUV drivers to prove the point about people having unjustified bias against others because of what they drive.

As I said, live and let live. If you think an E90316i is a crap car and doesn't live up to your expectations of a 21st century car, then fine, don't buy one. But don't put down people who do.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 16:54
Fair enough point your making, but this website is for BMW enthusiasts only, so i'm sure there are no E90 316i owners reading this thread. But i respect your views and i'm not getting into a row

Edited by 635CSi
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 17:06

Fair enough point your making, but this website is for BMW enthusiasts only

Since when?? You're not exactly here too long to make a judgement on that. As far as I'm aware, the site is for anyone with an interest in BMW's - owners or not.

The sort of person who can afford a new E90 316i would be able to buy several other BMW's that you'd probably wet yourself over if they chose to - however they choose not to, big deal.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 17:10
Fair enough, not trying to get into a row either but there was hassle in the past with the powers that be in the BMW Car Club UK making 'unkind' remarks about owners of certain types of BMWs, so I guess I'm a bit sensitive about this.

There might be some E90 316i owners reading this, but they'll probably 'de-badge' their forum names after this so we'll never know. No offence to any 316i owners of course
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 17:39
It's not a case of how long somebody is a member and if they turn down a 5 or 6 year old M5 for one they are officially crazy. I guess this is the  whole fun point of forums, everybody disagrees with eachother.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 18:10
Calm down

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2007 at 18:30

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Calm down

kb..... that's too funny. What was that about stereotypes?????????

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 03:49

Here no need to get snappy mate, i'm just giving my opinion, your entitled to your own, but i was asked earlier on in the thread hav i driven a smaller car and i answered the question, what's the problem? I hav also driven an E46 330Ci and a 525i and a 318i,

You previously only mentioned driving a punto when asked had you experienced driving smaller engined models from BMW ! My response was based on the information you provided and yes I am entitled to my opinion. You must also be aware that your first post on this forum was to call everybody who bought a new 316 "stupid", hardly a technical assesment or intelligent statement.

Personally I wouldn't touch any 316, E30 et al, but I respect and understand the motivation of anybody who chooses to purchase one, which coasting, dergside & others have outlined.  That's what it is, a choice. There is no need to insult any particular breed.

Yes, we all know it's not got enough power for the body weight - for us that is, but for the people who bought one, it may be perfectly fine and there are plenty of other slower vehicles being sold today, as long as you don't expect more than the cars limits, they're all perfectly safe.

E39 530d Touring

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 13:03

Why the hell would somebody go for the latest E90
316i other than tax reasons??

I suppose a lot of people buying a 316i are doing so because of tax
reasons, as well as the purchase price. Not everyone out there is
interested in the power of a car. Many women for instance, will buy a car
for totally different reasons. Pamela's sister has a 2.5 Porsche Boxster but
she doesn't drive it fast and I doubt she has ever revved it past 5000. She
bought it for the image. And even though I'll slag her car for being so
slow and underpowered compared to my 3 litre 295bhp M3, she just
comes back with "that just looks like any other boring BMW". Girls just
aren't into power. Also many people are choosing smaller engined cars
for enviromental reasons and will be very happy to be seen in a 316i. But I
can see where you're coming from. There's no way I would ever consider
buying a new 316i. I like having some spare horsepower under the hood.
Although my dad did have a e30 316 which had plenty of poke. It was a
1.8 litre though. Anyway, welcome to the forum. You're off with a bang.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 13:28
Well they must be some very shallow women out there, i wouldn't be attracted to any woman driving a 316i, anyway that's all i have to say, forget everthing else i said because there are obviously alot of people out there who fell strongly about this subject. Oh and cheers for the welcome.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 13:38

Fair enough point your making, but this website is for BMW enthusiasts only,

Sorry, but thats an outrageous comment.  What stops an E90 316i owner being a BMW enthusiast?  Your levels of inverted snobbery and forcing of opinion on others is nothing short of staggering.

You also conveniently ignored most of my points about choosing a 316i over a Passat, with the quality of service received being one you never even raised in return. 

More than anything though, you gave no reply to any consideration for an individuals personal circumstances and the fact that you have absolutely no idea what everyone else goes through in their decision making process.  According to you, because they don't pick the same car you would - they're wrong.  

You sneer at 316i drivers thinking they've bought the car for nothing more than badge/brand snobbery without the faintest idea of the real reasons why.

Oh, and a final thing, you're now backing your argument up with fictious rubbish.  To say a 316i 'struggled to get up a hill' is utter garbage.  I know it and so does everyone else reading this thread.

You've turned this into non factual nonsense!

Edited by Coasting

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 13:44

Well they must be some very shallow women out there, i wouldn't be attracted to any woman driving a 316i, anyway that's all i have to say, forget everthing else i said because there are obviously alot of people out there who fell strongly about this subject. Oh and cheers for the welcome.

Hang on, so you're attracted to a woman on the basis of the car she drives and under no circumstances could you be attracted to one driving an E90 316i???!!!!!!

Your arguments are laughable, sorry, but they are.

We're all BMW enthusiasts.  Not many of the people on here wear blinkers fit for the Grand National though.  Thank god.

Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 14:04

Though if I saw twin sisters and one was driving a 316 and one was driving a M3 you know who I will go talk to first. Might be the wrong decision but I just would...

It is true as with many fashion accessories, a car can be classed as that now. It has a alot to do with how something looks and makes you feel. If it makes the buyer happy why not?

People think I am stupid for driving such a high powered big engined car, I don't care though. I like the car, it makes me happy and it makes me smile driving it and looking at it. It might not be a pretty car but it does it for me. Same goes for a low powered car.

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 14:09

Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

People think I am stupid for driving such a high powered big engined car, I don't care though. I like the car, it makes me happy and it makes me smile driving it and looking at it. It might not be a pretty car but it does it for me. Same goes for a low powered car.

Couldn't agree more.

The point being, if someone is happy with their car, who cares what anyone else thinks of it.

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

Though if I saw twin sisters and one was driving a 316
and one was driving a M3 you know who I will go talk to first. Might be the
wrong decision but I just would...

The one in the 316i. Because the one in the M3 is driving her husband/
boyfriends car.   

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic