Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWho has the best brand image??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Who has the best brand image??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [39.02%]
25 [60.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 11:23

I like Volvo's too and getting close to being liable to kill for an Alfa Brera

There is some blind bias towards BMW around though and no matter if its a BMW forum (say with imaginary "" marks), if you like BM's you've got to like some efforts from other marques as well.

Is there any way to frig the poll so I can vote again for Merc......Opps!

E39 530d Touring

Sponsored Links

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 15:17
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Or howabout Skoda? A car famous for being ridiculed but they have come a long way and are now gaining respect since VW/Audi took over (and if you buy one, the Skoda badge can be replaced with a VW one and no-one will know as long as you de-chrome it )

Skoda are making some brilliant cars lately, I was in the back of a Superb recently and the amount of legroom in the back was as big as an LWB S Class. They are based on a stretched version of the Passat built exclusively for the Chinese market apparently.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 15:24
Originally posted by nn_dd nn_dd wrote:

I like Volvo's too and getting close to being liable to kill for an Alfa Brera

I haven't read glowing reviews of the Brera or the Spider, the Brera is apparently inert to drive and the Spider suffers from scuttle shake. I wonder is it only me who doesn't think the latest Alfa's are stunning. I think the 159 is fat looking and badly proportioned, with an awkward arse on it. Arguably the 156 is the most stunning Alfa of recent years even though owning one meant you'd have to invite your service manager over to dinner for Christmas!

Edited by 635CSi
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 16:15

Don't care about the begrudgers having a go at the poor old (new) Alfa's, what a V6 engine and what looks!!, you can't believe allwhat you read - have a drive in one. Had a GTV and that was some blast of a car, never had much trouble with it, herself is mad to off the Volvo and get another one !!

Have to agree about the 159, just doesn't look right.

Anyway, it's about BMW vs Merc image, as Bimmer drivers are percieved as a bunch of pr**ks, the Mercs have the better image - but they also have their fair share of them as well.

Edited by nn_dd
E39 530d Touring

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 17:58

Anyway, it's about BMW vs Merc image, as Bimmer drivers are percieved as a bunch of pr**ks, the Mercs have the better image - but they also have their fair share of them as well.

Agreed, but I have a feeling Mercedes have lost their image. They are no longer the envy of of every other driver on the road. Nobody really dreams of owning a Merc nowadays due to their "ould fella" image and of latter years their lack of quality. Whereas BMW portrays a young, energetic image. Sure remember when about 2 or 3 years ago a bunch of young lads drove a 3 Series from Dublin to Australia?? That further proves my point. They wouldn't be doing it in a C Class because that car is generally perceived as an old geezer's wheels!
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 22:51
Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

Agreed, but I have a feeling Mercedes have lost their image. They are no longer the envy of of every other driver on the road. Nobody really dreams of owning a Merc nowadays due to their "ould fella" image and of latter years their lack of quality. Whereas BMW portrays a young, energetic image. Sure remember when about 2 or 3 years ago a bunch of young lads drove a 3 Series from Dublin to Australia?? That further proves my point. They wouldn't be doing it in a C Class because that car is generally perceived as an old geezer's wheels!

yes but these guys that are buying bmw are getting on a bit and the yunguns are now buying scoobies and evos or ganza if they cant afford the first 2

Edited by dryle
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 23:13

BMW's going to win you know - as it should

(especially when it allows you to vote more than once! )

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 23:35
Talking of Alfa's I remember in the old days of the Mk2 cortina's when you could have an Alfasud, what a great little car, probably the best (albeit unreliable) of the first hot hatch type cars. My mate had one, I loved it but never got one ( but I did get a 2002, ooooohhhhh)
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 23:37
Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

Talking of Alfa's I remember in the old days of the Mk2 cortina's when you could have an Alfasud, what a great little car, probably the best (albeit unreliable) of the first hot hatch type cars. My mate had one, I loved it but never got one ( but I did get a 2002, ooooohhhhh)

They were a lovely car, pity they were carved from sh*te though! I heard they were built from recycled steel bought in from Eastern Europe.

Edited by 635CSi
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 10:22

Even as a BMW owner, I don't quite understand this poll.

BMW has a SHOCKING brand image.

Yes we all like our cars, and we know they're quality cars, and other people know they're quality cars too.

However, this question is about brand image.  The image of the BMW brand is a dreadful one.  You only need to look at polls on a multitude of other places to see that almost every other car owner will put BMW's down as having the worst image.  Not because they're crap, because of course as I said before, people know they're not - but because of the perception of the driver that has been created by the few idiots out there and fixated on by those with stereotypical minds.

Now then, Mercedes-Benz build is improving - but it's still not up to BMW or Audi standards.  However, their image is definitely better! 

Maybe the context of the poll is too broad, but as I said to begin with, even as a BMW owner I'm sorry to say I'd have the brand image a long way down.  Brilliant cars, crap image.

Of course it's all irrelevant, because if anyone is having to think about image to begin with, then you're probably not driving the car you should be. 

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 10:31

Coasting - if the BMW brand image was anyway near as bad as you suggest BMW wouldn't sell as many cars as they do; I think the buying public is more sensitive to brand image than you seem to suggest.

I think BMW have been extremely successful at creating and cultivating their brand image.

larzyh.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 10:57

Yes they would, because thankfully a lot of people ignore the stereotype and buy the car for what it is, not the image it presents.

Most people don't like BMW's.  Until they buy one.  Then all of a sudden they don't shut up about them.  It's the typical 'only any good once I buy one' buyer that rubbishes so many brands.

I've encountered pretty much the same recently because we're looking at changing my wifes car.  The front runner is a Lexus RX400h SE-L.  Frankly, it has made its competition look poor by comparison.

However, mention the prospect of buying a Lexus and not a german marque...and the responses are really quite funny to witness!  I'll admit it wasn't a car I thought we'd be interested in, but driving one has changed that.

Maybe we're generalising a bit, because an earlier poster asked for clarity of the question.  I'd say the same.

Brand image can cross a range of matters and it is difficult to summarise on the whole.  I agree that the BMW 'brand' is a very strong one.  But the BMW brand image can be split into driver perception, worth, prestige value, aspiration, build, dynamics and so on.  

I maintain that, even as a BMW driver, I think the brand has a poor image to the majority of other drivers (until as I say, they decide to buy one because thats how fickle so many people are).

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 11:18

"Most people don't like BMW's. Until they buy one" - but what on earth makes them buy one if they don't like it? Perhaps driving one but then what makes them go for a test-drive. I have never gone for a test drive in a car I didn't like!

I would contend that if a car maker can convince people, who don't like their cars, to go for a test drive they have a very strong, positive brand image.

What I like about the BMW brand image is that they (at least traditionally) are bought by people who want a driver's orientated car; a car that says "I like driving cars". Very few mainstream brands have this image; Alfa Romeo is another one, in my view.

I do think (and have expressed this before) that BMW has to some extent become just another prestige brand, unfortunately.

Larzyh.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 13:41

I think BMW has a stronger image to the "performance driver", however, to the general public its Mercedes all the way.

I work as a chauffeur for a local company at times and they have mainly Mercs, when I asked why they didn’t use BMW’s I was told its because of Mercedes perceived image with their type of clients over BMW…and to be fair, the guy does have a point..

The women all love to say I was picked up in a Mercedes to their friends and customers , saying I was picked up in a BMW doesn’t say as much in this type of business

Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 13:53

Coasting, most people that don't like BMW can't afford one. Most people I know aspire to own one, male and females alike.

It is just like people who say Porsche driver are self cantered arrogant pigs, the same people would buy one in an instant if they could afford one.

Brand image is different from brand jealousy.

stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 13:54

Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

or ganza if they cant afford the first 2

what's a ganza?

Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

because if anyone is having to think about image to begin with, then you're probably not driving the car you should be. 

don't quite get this bit, can you elaborate?

Originally posted by brybusa brybusa wrote:

saying I was picked up in a BMW doesn’t say as much in this type of business

not when the 3-series outsells the ford mondeo by a significant margin, bmw is so common nowadays, selling 1-series to appeal to a lower market sector doesn't help either

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 14:00
Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

Coasting, most people that don't like BMW can't afford one.

maybe when buying new, but it's not an excuse - there's always the secondhand market so it becomes a question of they could own a bmw but they choose not to....

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 14:09

to give an example of pure image based car buying a lot of people moved away from mercedes back when the 190e dropped to a level that youngsters could afford to buy secondhand and start modifying them - the traditional merc buyer didn't like the association

from a marketing perspective porsche will be next i reckon, although the 924/968 started the ball rolling the diluting of their brand really started with the boxster - when they start making prestige brands affordable to the man in the street they lose their magic, the cayenne, like the 1-series and the x-series, is a market porsche should have stayed out of, they cheapen the brand by diversity and volume pricing

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 14:41
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

Coasting, most people that don't like BMW can't afford one.

maybe when buying new, but it's not an excuse - there's always the secondhand market so it becomes a question of they could own a bmw but they choose not to....

BMWs are not cheap even in the second hand market. Most people do not want to buy a 15 year old BMW when they can buy a newer car from another marque at the same price. Running costs are going to be higher, even though my M5 is only worth around €30K the servicing and parts cost are that of a car that is €150k. Prices of cars go down, servicing and parts don't.

ivanovoitch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Where did all the white water come from?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanovoitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 16:56
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

However, mention the prospect of buying a Lexus and not a german marque...and the responses are really quite funny to witness...but driving one has changed that.

Have to agree with this sentiment. Driving the IS you get a level of respect from other drivers that you just don't get behind the wheel of a BMW, especially when it comes to pulling out into traffic.

It's also very pleasant to drive all day long and not pass another on the road.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic