Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs BMW still a quality car to own?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2004 at 12:08

I agree that the quality of older BMWs was far superior to its peer group of the time. My three cars which date from 1980 to 1987 are all still intrinsically solid and mechanically sound through regular service and repair work, when required and without being wrapped up in cotton wool. They get used on an every day basis as they would have been when new and reward accordingly.

For example the fun:performance ratio of my '87 E30 325i sport is still far greater than any new multi-valve Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota midsize car. My wife drives these and I am always pleased to get back into the BMW.

I believe that these cars of the 1980s are probably the last BMWs which can be owned, enjoyed and maintained at reasonable cost by enthusiasts. As others have already commented on this thread the likelyhood of being able to diagnose and ecconomicaly resolve complex electrical gremlins on the current crop of BMWs as they get to 10years+ old will be limited and I can imagine older vehicles such as mine still being in regular use when the majority of 2004 models have gone to the EU regulated "environmentally friendly" vehicle recycling centre of 2020!

I certainly have no plans to sell any of my cars and any future purchase is unlikely to be post 1990 in age.

Sponsored Links

Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2004 at 12:54
It's not just cars that are becoming harder to repair.. the modern day tractor is even worse.
My neighbour was having big trouble engaging drive in his 40k Massey.. so I went to help with a trailer full of spanners and levers but to no avail.. it was an electrical gremlin.. the 40 acres of grass could not be mowed until the man with the diagnostics laptop arrived!

..anyway back to the thread.. Mercedes seem to have raised their game and managed to stay well ahead of the mass market that BMW now seem part of.

Nick
Croft'04
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2004 at 14:23
As a throw off about Mercedes, I have seen more MB's of late (past 6 months) with their bonnets up and broken down on the hard shoulder, than I ever have done in the past. And these cars appeared to be relatively recent products.
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2004 at 18:44

-the last time I looked at how a mercedes was put together I thought 'what a cheaply made car'. Some Mercedes work quite well, but I don't see how they can justify their high prices when you look at the engineering in detail.

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2004 at 18:54
Almost makes you wistful for the solidly-made products of the Rootes Group.....

...then again, maybe not...

Domo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 10:47

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Not sure that I would describe the cost difference between a mondeo and a BMW 3 series negligible. The top of the range mondeo is the ST220 and brand new it costs around 20K. To get a BMW of similar performance you need to go for the 330 which will set you back at least 30K. Thats 10K or 50%. Don't forget also that in order to get a decent spec on a BMW you need to start adding the options on which also bumps up the price. 

A 2.0 Mondeo with the same spec as a 318se or ES is not that much cheaper. Factor in the residuals and the BMW is the better buy and in real terms cheaper to run - If you look around you can get a new 318 fo under 18k - FACT!.  Given a choice of Mondeo or BMW what would you pick? That was the point I was making. The same is true of the st220, spec it up to the 330se and then look at the monthly repayments - it's alot closer than you realise.

www.xlmotorsport.com...Racing into the future
www.xlraceparts.com ... Quality BMW track and race parts
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 13:03
Originally posted by Domo Domo wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Not sure that I would describe the cost difference between a mondeo and a BMW 3 series negligible. The top of the range mondeo is the ST220 and brand new it costs around 20K. To get a BMW of similar performance you need to go for the 330 which will set you back at least 30K. Thats 10K or 50%. Don't forget also that in order to get a decent spec on a BMW you need to start adding the options on which also bumps up the price. 

A 2.0 Mondeo with the same spec as a 318se or ES is not that much cheaper. Factor in the residuals and the BMW is the better buy and in real terms cheaper to run - If you look around you can get a new 318 fo under 18k - FACT!.  Given a choice of Mondeo or BMW what would you pick? That was the point I was making. The same is true of the st220, spec it up to the 330se and then look at the monthly repayments - it's alot closer than you realise.

A mondeo 2.0 Ghia costs £17040 (base price). It comes with electric windows front and back, digital climate control, Fuel computer, leather steering wheel and gear knob, 16" alloys, electrically adjustable drivers seat, front centre armrest, ABS, cd player etc etc. 0-60 is 9,3 and top speed is 124mph.

A BMW 318 SE comes in at £20720. The standard spec is almost identical to the Mondeo eccept it has traction control but only a cassette player. Performance is almost identical.

I am also fairly certain that the running costs for a BMW are considerabley higher than for the ford. I know from talking to owners of company cars that the pence per mile figure for BMW's is higher than for equivalent fords.

I am sure you can get a new BMW 318 se for 18 grand, from a car supermarket, but by the same token you can also get the Mondeo cheaper.

Don't get me wrong. I would have the BMW any day, but I just don't agree that they are as cheap to buy and run as other less pestigious brands.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 13:16
what about interior quality between them? (haven't been in new mondeo)
Also one is RWD and the other is FWD - does cost a small bit more to make RWD.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
lutz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 18:32
I heard that BMW has the most patents (,pending), so you have something like "science on wheels" ?
So it should worthy to pay a little extra, a used BMW has even more value than a newer VW or Vauxhall
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 19:19

-myself, I'd swap almost any number of daft electrical gizmos (patent pending) for inherently better quality suspension.....

-'science on wheels' sounds like 'impossible to diagnose', and 'expensive to fix' when it goes wrong......

-am I a luddite???

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
lutz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 06:57
It does make sense.
Each BMW are an unique anyway, even more in comparison to its competitors -- you have more options to separate from each other's driving the same model (As a new car buyer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 12:11
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

-myself, I'd swap almost any number of daft electrical gizmos (patent pending) for inherently better quality suspension.....

-'science on wheels' sounds like 'impossible to diagnose', and 'expensive to fix' when it goes wrong......

-am I a luddite???

I couldn't agree more. If you're a luddite then so am I!  biggrin

Henchman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2004 at 13:51

hmmm

Well it all depends, I'm sure people are finally beginning to realise that BMW is well priced for the product you are getting - which is why there are so many about these days

Most cars would begin to give serious problems after maybe 70-80K mileage, but BMW seems to keep going smoothly, even after 100K-150K mileage, or even more.

And yes, its true to say that BMW no longer has the "status" factor, unlike Jaguar or maybe even Merc who still hold the reputation of being "special"

I mean you look at the new 7 series, and you say "sweet, what a beast" ... but you look at a merc S-class and its more of a "wow, classy" reaction - if you get what I mean - Bmw doesnt target elegance and status anymore, it seems to target performance more

just my opinion - peace ;)

Henchman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2004 at 13:53

p.s - I wud take a BMW over a merc, i prefer the looks, Merc is rather arrogant ...

"oooo look at me, i own a merc  :-/  "

( no offence merc owners  :P~   )

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2004 at 09:47
Originally posted by Henchman Henchman wrote:

Most cars would begin to give serious problems after maybe 70-80K mileage, but BMW seems to keep going smoothly, even after 100K-150K mileage, or even more.

Well all the cars I have owned had done over 100K without to much trouble. In fact I have spent more on my BMW in the last year than I spent on any of my last three cars for the whole time I owned them. Also I can say that without a doubt my BMW is no better built than my last car, a Primera and my car before that, a Honda Civic. 

It is however better to drive than any other car I have ever owned.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic