Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMore Law and Order Goodness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 05:29

One thing worth remebering, and I'm not trying to back Peter up here ( god forbid lol ), we may pay more for petrol, booze, ciggys etc, but we pay far lower income taxes.

Business are also taxed lower on the "luxury" of employing people, and ours have far les finacial responsibility when it comes to laying off, redundancies, or sacking people.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 06:00
Nigel makes a good point. It's no good just looking at one thing and say we pay more therefore we are being ripped off, you need to look at the whole picture.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 08:24

Was this topic originally about ASBOs?

could you lot start a new topic called Boring Droning on Politics please!

Regarding couples getting ASBOs for arguing, blimey. Maybe Wimpey & Barretts should get ASBOs for building lousy houses with tissue paper party walls.

after 20 years of flats & semis, I have finally "made it" to detached, so no current noisy neighbours, (just chavs screaming in the park behind my house at midnight & beyond).

In my last house, a little semi, the family next door played their music very loud and they were into easy listening such as Cliff, Johhny Mathis etc. Could I have taken out an ASBO on them on the grounds of lousy taste in music?

ps - I like Johhny Matthis but not when coming thru the party wall drowning out my own music. In that house I listened to music on headphones as I am considerate towards neighbours. Now I can play what i want, when i want, as loud as I want.

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 08:55
What about the impact that American policy is having on us? We appear to back everything that the US does/says or wants to do, but when we (or Europe) ask them to come into line with items, say the kyoto (spelling?) agreement, they just say no! They can't be bothered to clean up their industry, so they happily polute it all for everybody else, yet still expect Europe to help out when asked. It wasn't that long ago that there was the agreement for a certain amount of clean air per country to be proven, other countries seemed to clean up 'theirs' but the US went and bought some from Greenland (or some other country).
Just something else to discuss really!
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 09:03

Now you're talking AG. start a topic "blair is Dubbya's faithful poodle - discuss". that should get the keyboards tapping away.

did you see the excellent TV prog on SUVs in USA?

the avge fuel consump. of american cars is going UP after many years of improvement because US families are switching from 30mpg cars to 12mpg SUVs and Hummers. with these monsters spewing out carbon there is no way Dubbya can sign up to Kyoto.

the latest sexy Hummers have official avge consump of 11mpg

Make gas in the US the same price as petrol in the UK. they will all buy those dinky little Smart cars!

Philip
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 09:33
Even if dubbya wanted to (which I doubt), he couldn't increase the price of petrol over there, as he knows he'll have a mutiny on his hands.

He's publicly said that the US comes first, and the way I read it, that meant, sod the rest, we're the best, USA will come first.

But then on the flip side he goes on a Euro tour promoting the USA and trying to build bridges!
Well sorry, clean up your country then start building bridges!
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 09:48

sounds like USA is behaving like what it is, a super power. or a playground bully.

as you say, the one issue that will be g'teed to cause uproar in the USA is raising gas prices.

the public over there seem unconcerned with vehicle derived pollution & global warming issues. Anyone who raises these issues is howled down as unamerican and unpatriotic. its daft.

there is a small but growing anti-SUV lobby in the USA (per the TV prog I saw) that is campaigning against these monsters. they are up against the corporate giants of Detroit, the Govt, and public apathy. Good luck guys!

I guess I too am guilty of driving old E23 E32 gas guzzlers, but I only drive my cars at weekends, so I can't justify taking out finance on a new car.

Plus, if I bought a new car would the factory its built in be good for the environment? and the energy & raw materials used in its construction?

perhaps classic cars are in some ways not so guilty of destroying the environment.

plenty to chew on there.

Philip
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 10:04
Newer car manufacturers like BMW/Mercedes etc are well gen’d up the this issue, and appear to do what they can to meet the proviso’s that are put in place to help protect our environment, where as I don’t think the large US companies do. Newer cars are more environmentally friendly that the older cars that’s true, as they have more items that can be recycled on them.
I agree with your comment about being unpatriotic, the same thing happened on the news last night, where the US want to tap oil in the Antarctica (or someplace like that) which is currently under protection due to it’s wildlife etc, they want to take the oil, blight the landscape, and when a politician stood up against the idea, he was knocked back for not being sympathetic to the cause, it was about America & the jobs it would create, that was the final word. So basically as far as I am concerned they don’t give a toss about the environment, as long as they are OK!
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 10:24

Daimler-Chrysler is now one company, so does that mean Chrysler cares about the environment, or does it mean Mercs are now built to Detroit standards.

check the peaches & lemons site for complaints against Mercs in general & US built M class SUVs in particular.

plenty of lemons awarded to current shape Mercs for lousy build, shocking repair costs, lousy dealers etc.

what has happened to Merc?

Philip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 11:01

Wow, you two have moved this topic on a bit since this morning.

M3AG, the reasons you brought up are exactly why I don't think we should be aligning ourselves with America. They Take but don't give, just like a 'playground bully' as you put it Phillip.

I can';t understand their obsesion with gas guzzling monsters. The Hummer is anythig but sexy. Ulgy, pointless and a huge waste of money would be a better way to describe it. I've never been a fan of 'lifestyle' 4x4s like the X5 but the huge US SUVs are just plain stupid.

I don't understand why the US, or any other nation for that matter, would build an economy so dependant on oil when it puts them at the mercy of OPEC. The single biggest factor in the perfromance of the stock markets in the US and the UK is oil price which is controlled by OPEC. The problem of high oil prices isn't going to impove either since the Chinease economy is now on the move and it's oil requirements are likley to start increasing exponentially as billions of chinease people start buying cars. Never mind the US being a super power, look out world here comes China

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 11:04
Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

what has happened to Merc?

I find their customer service quite surprising.

My Brother, and my neighbours sister had A class mercs, ( my brothers an ADI, it was his school car ), and my mate down the road has a Veto people carrier.

The level of service they all experienced was appaling, very comparable to Rover main dealers that I have used in the past.

I convinced my brother to try a min, the other bm's were too large for him, and the new 1 series ia a bit pricey.

He is so delighted and surprised at the level of customer care, and service he has recieved from a bmw dealer, he's now buying his second mini.

There were two merc dealers involved in that little story.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 11:11

What a shame for Mercedes.

a few years back Merc announced that they were cancelling all UK franchises and replacing them with factory owned outlets. The MB dealers started suing MB; it all got very nasty. what happened in the end?

Philip
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 11:16

Peter,

What would psychologists tell us about people who drive massive SUVs by choice. if you are not a farmer or country sportsman why would you need an SUV?

Do these massive tankers boost the fragile egos of their owners?

Do SUV drivers feel impregnable on the road, in their fortress on wheels?

Philip
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 14:44
Grrr, SUV's I hate them. Pointless wastes of valuable resources. Fair enough if you are going to climb things or need to go off road for work or whatever, but why oh why are these things suddenly popular on the school run?? They are a complete menace, especially when two meet in the road and the mothers are unable to judge the width of their vehicles, so everyone behind them has to sit until they decide what they are doing. Its a daily problem at the school beside my flat, the main road always has cars parked on both sides so the road is just wide enough for two focus sized cars to get past at the same time. Of course once the SUV's turn up the consequences are inevitable.

To their drivers my little chevette is invisible, which is quite terrifying  when one is coming towards you utterly unaware of your presence. Unsurprisingly I have fitted some extra horns to the car now! But its not just my car, it seems to be almost every car except other off roaders. The road outside the school is completely packed with 04 and 54 plate X5's, XC90's, Range Rover's and that Lexus thing, plus many others. And 90% of them are there to pick up.... one child! Way to go for the environment. Those 4.6 engines must get perhaps 15 or even 16 mpg on an urban run. Honestly, its like a gathering for some green laners club. They should be banned from city centres, end of story.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 16:07

Hang about guys, arent we the ones who complain about all these traffic rules ?

We cant have it both ways, if they want to drive 4 x 4's and can afford to do so, then its their choice, we cant, or rather shouldnt want them banned.

Best Wishes

Nigel

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 20:07
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

If everything went up to the level of the country that paid the most the cost of living for every coutry would skyrocket and no government is going to let that happen.  

No government would let the cost of living skyrocket? Hmmmm, I definitely come from a different place in the space/time continuum.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 07:01

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

If everything went up to the level of the country that paid the most the cost of living for every coutry would skyrocket and no government is going to let that happen.  

No government would let the cost of living skyrocket? Hmmmm, I definitely come from a different place in the space/time continuum.

So you are off the opinion that as a result of an integrated Europe every country will adjust prices up to match the highest?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 07:05
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Hang about guys, arent we the ones who complain about all these traffic rules ?

We cant have it both ways, if they want to drive 4 x 4's and can afford to do so, then its their choice, we cant, or rather shouldnt want them banned.

Much as I detest SUVs I have to agree with Nigel. If you start thinking about banning them then you open the floodgates for banning other types of vehicles.

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 14:13

Some Interesting points !!!!!!!!!!  So--How many posters have Actually Visited the Good o'l USA.????? Not that many , otherwise YOU would know HOW-WHY the melting pot of Nationalities think. act ,and live as they do.

They have come from every corner of this planet, from all countries who FORCED them to do as told, and others with strange idea,s of democraZy--SO--- YOU gonna tell em what, How they should Think, Live, and comply with what suits todays greens and brainwashed citizens of OLD Europe--GET Real!!.The only time the USA WILL, take notice is when they SEE they are threatened--ALA 911-

I was there in 76 = Fuel crisis !!!!!!!!!! yes-- Odds and Evens, that was how they decided you could have Gas, one day odds next day --.So the locals said to us " If the price goes to 1 dollar-youre gonna see a Revolution in this USA"-- in 29 years-just think how we have paid for their comfort and choice.They Live in another World--USA-- so untill it DOES get Home to them--NOTHING Will Change.BUT--WE will Pay for that--100 times over.!!!!!!!!!!

One other point, Our TV and News services-rarely give us Info on the World of Europe--so we can see what the Belgium family-Dutch-spanish-get the picture!!! --have to put up with in their countries-pay for--told to do-ALA Slime Bliar-THEN we could judge how Good/Bad our liars are doing--So, Before telling the rest of the world how to behave-maybe WE should shut up--and hear what a less brainwashed people have to say.

SAFETYFAST
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 14:19

Been to the USA loads of times John.

As a civvy visitor, as RAF personnel, as USAF exchange personnel, and as a civvy worker.

Its not all roses over there either.

Wherever I have been in the developed world, the standard of living for a given status is about the same.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic