Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddecsion ’s decsion’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPhil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 09:25

Hey

Im going to be mature and wave the white flag, just reading our posts, were both acting like monkeys.  Your entitled to your own opinion.  Suppose it was fun

Cheers.

Phil.

997 C2 now.
Sponsored Links

V911ST View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V911ST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 09:43

The M cars are great, no question - but they're far from unique, or rare - and the only time in my life that I saw people flock around one was on a school trip in 1988.

As for being jealous Phil, unless you can grab an M6 owner out of the woodwork, or Mick sticks up photos of his bbk behind his new BBS rims, then I'm afraid I'm not envious of any of the M owners cars, sorry! And why not keep your smart arse 'night pet' remarks to yourself, or perhaps say them in person next time you see me in Mondello.

I'd imagine the reason there are fewer 330Ci's for sale than M3's has something to do with the fact that most sane individuals who arent interested in playing the number plate game would opt for a s/h E46 M3 over a new 330Ci and I know which I'd rather have on the forecourt for sale, an M3 doesnt sell quickly in this country as the serious performance car market is relatively small,but the market for a 330Ci?.... what a mate of mine refers to as a "nearly car"......tiny by comparision.

And for the record I completely see where Phil is coming from.....a 335i is a fine car, but its no M3,nor will it ever be....having pulled apart,tuned,modifed and rebuilt every generation of M3 at this stage, I can certainly vouch for the fact that these cars are special,so special that I've went out and spent my own dosh on e30,e36 and e46 m3's.

There are plenty of m3's in the country,of course there are, this country's economy has been flying for the past few years,which just happened to coincide with the E46 M3, so naturally there are a few around, but the country is also full of 911's,does this make a 911 or an M3 any less of an aspirational purchase? No. In fact most petrolheads I know would have one or other or both on the list of cars they'd aspire to own and drive in the real world (as opposed to Gallardo and F40 type dreaming)

and to say you're not envious of any forum members cars bar Micks........well last time I checked that silver E46 I bought had a funny looking roof skin and makes an awful induction racket past 3000revs.......you sure that wouldnt have the oul green eyed monster whispering in your ear then?

Its a good thread lads, but its not worth slapping each other over though!

Edited by V911ST
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 09:48
I'd agree with V911, no point fighting over opinions on each others cars-A simple arm wrestle would do!
past-01 318ci auto, '01 318ci
present-'04 325ci sport
future-no house and a 5 car garage
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 11:19

Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

@Dergside - Nice point

The M cars are great, no question - but they're far from unique, or rare - and the only time in my life that I saw people flock around one was on a school trip in 1988.

As for being jealous Phil, unless you can grab an M6 owner out of the woodwork, or Mick sticks up photos of his bbk behind his new BBS rims, then I'm afraid I'm not envious of any of the M owners cars, sorry!

Lol Ken, I'm so pissed, the new rims are on but the missus is away for the week and took the digital camera  Also because I use one of these gooseberry devices I don't even have a camera phone to Piss kin off with

Seriously, though, and I'm a bit biased here, but the E46 m3 while not as rare as a ferrari is still a pretty rare sight here in Ireland.  I suspect there is only a couple of hundred of them in the country and I still get lots of attention in the car.

And while I was thinking of trading it in for the 335i, as you know from my review on the other forums, I genuinely came away from driving the car feeling numb and knowing that if I bought one I would be bored in no time.  Its an absolutely outstanding car, of that there is no doubt, and would make a fine car for someone who did lots of mileage.  But it just doesn't have that M feeling.  Its kind of like fast, effortless progress, like a 535d or something, but still leaves you wanting more.

The styling is totally bland as well at this point although I have high hopes for the sport kits and M kits when they come out.

Mick

Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 12:41
I think the idea that becuase people flock around a car, it somehow makes it special is ludicrous-Think of the old capri, that was way ahead of its day but it was by no means a groundbreaking or excellent example of engineering. The M3 is more modest than a 911; it's basically an exagerrated 3 series coupe with extra exhausts to the untrained eye. I could definitely understand how rarity would be an issue if you spend that kind of money on the M3, but it's real talents are clearly hidden from normal view, i.e. its handling, it's engine, it's solidity etc.
The M3 stands for one thing above all else, value for money!
present-'04 325ci sport
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 13:22

Dave

Thats the great thing about the M3, its an agressive looking car but in an understated way.  It doesn't scream performance at you like say, a Scoob or Evo, and thus the people who tend to admire them generally know their stuff and know what it can do.

You also get a lot of traffic light cowboys as well though, it has to be said.

mick

Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 13:58
That's why it'll hopefully be my next car Mick, it ticks all the boxes in my opinion-Now to wait for those bloody residuals to drop again...
present-'04 325ci sport
UJM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 16:24

Originally posted by Daveco Daveco wrote:

That's why it'll hopefully be my next car Mick, it ticks all the boxes in my opinion-Now to wait for those bloody residuals to drop again...

Me too... at least there will be more Irish from new examples to choose from rather than having to search the UK for a good one unlike the e36 m3 which there were hardly any new sold in Ireland due to the economy at the time.

Maybe i should start posting how much better the 335i is and try and get people trading in so the residuals to drop a bit

Edited by UJM3
Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 17:15
Everyone has different opinions, Mick thinks a Lotus Elise is a girls car(so does a lot of people) I think it is a great fun car to drive for the price.

I think Mick's car is vulgar... Why would someone mod a M car? Makes no point... anyone that does that is crazy.

Edited by Kin Mak
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 17:23
Crazy or considerably wealthy!

Edited by Daveco
present-'04 325ci sport
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 19:13
ok lads testing tomorrow... 335i & z4 coupe... i'm not really excited like i was when i waited to test the M3 wich i have now!!! sure we will see how it goes, ill fill you guys in tomorrow!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 19:41

Luke is it a Z4 M Coupe or just a 3.0?

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 20:04
its just the 3ltr.. they dont have the M...
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
touring paddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touring paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 08:34

Mick , im the guy who you pulled alongside in traffic yesterday, those alloys looked savage , quite aggressive , makes a 335 look sooooo  bland im afarid to say , enjoy !!

chrres

e46 325 Sport Touring
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 09:01

lol paddy, thanks for the compliment, I must admit at the time I didn't have a breeze what was going on and thought you were going to give out to me or something

touring paddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touring paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 09:08
you did seem to be in another world alright ! 
e46 325 Sport Touring
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 09:38

ONE DAY, ONE DAY

dream on

e30 325is (deceased)
e36 318is under major construction
E39 530D Sport mtec (all the bells and whistles )

Basic unit of laryngitis: 1 hoarsepower
lesurely
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 10:32
I hate those BBS RS-GTs, espically one of the front ones. They make my ankle hurt.

Edited by Kin Mak
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 16:13
well lads... took the new z4 30se coupe for a spin today, i must say i was very impressed, great noise and handeling, plenty of torque and the auto box was lovely!! still i much prefer my m3 no doubt... next is the 335i, have to wait till he gets one from bmw ireland next week some time, then i will decide, a newer M3 or the new 335i.. price is much the same!!! ill keep you's posted!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 16:22
I love those Z4 Coupe 3.0. Not sure about the autobox tho
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic