Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMr Fenwick...What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2007 at 10:49

I know two Monaro VXR owners very well.

Both cars are fully remapped and in a high stage of tune with Wortec exhaust and Stage 3 conversions on the engines.  They are incredibly loud and very quick cars.

The owners love them.  One bought his after an M3 Cab, and still maintains the Monaro is by far the better car.

In respect of MPG, both will tell you it's irrelevant - because the money saved on purchase (because you can get them incredibly cheaply, by comparison to other cars, now) is so vast that it makes up for it.  It's also a very practical car as the rear space is very impressive, with a good boot too.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2007 at 12:49

You can buy them relatively cheaply.  £36k new and you can pick them up for £15-20k at 2 years old.  But how much will they be worth in 5 years time, that is the question!

When I bought my E39, I could have bought a brand new Citreon Picasso or a 2 year old Vauxhall Omega 2.2CDi Auto for the same money.  My E39 is worth 3k ish, the Omega is worth sub2k and I think the Citreon is worth about 3.5k

I watched Clarksons review of it over the weekend and he loved it, yes Clarkson loving a Vauxhall but I suppose it isn't, it is a Holden.

Off to surf tinterweb for Monaros...

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2007 at 13:58

Well I test drove a couple of cars at the weekend.

Audi A3 1.8T sport. A nice car and a lot faster than I thought it would be for only 150bhp. It felt very solid, well built and comfortable. Overall a very impressive car. Not as cheap as I was thinking of to run but still quite a bit better than my 530 and I could buy a decent one and still have enough change to pay off my credit card bill and then some.

I'd have bought it if it had had aircon.

MG ZR 120+. A bit of an odd one this. I saw it in a local garage and thought I'd take it for a spin. Good and bad really. Loved the seats and the handling was great. Very little body roll and very direct steering  but the engine felt gutless (it felt like a lot more than a 30bhp difference between it and the A3), the brakes were weak, although it had been stood a while so the discs were a bit too corroded and the build quality was poor. It was an 52 car with I former owner, 32k and a FSH but it was rusting around the boot hatch hinges and the sunroof, not just a little bit either. Oh and no aircon. I would not have bought that car but I would consider the 160 version which comes with aircon as standard, more grunt and better brakes.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2007 at 14:18

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

Come on guys, I still reckon we can sway him!

LOL, I doubt it.

I have considered going back to an E36 but there are too many things that put me off. If I could find a nice lowish milage 328 coupe/saloon with a manual box, aircon, in a good colour, with a FSH, not too far away than I would be very temped. No not cheap to run but they aren't that expensive to buy so the money I have left would help to counter that. The trouble is most of them are autos, the coupe sports are over priced IMO, Nikasil means and extra chew on to find a car thats had an  engine change, issues around suspension wear, a significant number of cars are that horrible dark metallic green and I'm not that impressed with the build quality of the E36 (or the E39 for that matter). The right car is probably out there but it would take too long to find and i'd spend half my budget on petrol before I found it.

I considered a 318iS or even a 318ti compact but I just couldn't warm to the idea. A BMW needs a big  6 cylinder engine IMO. Also since i've owned a 328 before a slower one is just going to feel like a let down. At least with a differect car altogther it will have other things that make up for it, whereas a 4 cylinder BMW is just going to be slower.

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2007 at 21:19
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

Come on guys, I still reckon we can sway him!

LOL, I doubt it.

I have considered going back to an E36 but there are too many things that put me off. If I could find a nice lowish milage 328 coupe/saloon with a manual box, aircon, in a good colour, with a FSH, not too far away than I would be very temped. No not cheap to run but they aren't that expensive to buy so the money I have left would help to counter that. The trouble is most of them are autos, the coupe sports are over priced IMO, Nikasil means and extra chew on to find a car thats had an  engine change, issues around suspension wear, a significant number of cars are that horrible dark metallic green and I'm not that impressed with the build quality of the E36 (or the E39 for that matter). The right car is probably out there but it would take too long to find and i'd spend half my budget on petrol before I found it.

I considered a 318iS or even a 318ti compact but I just couldn't warm to the idea. A BMW needs a big  6 cylinder engine IMO. Also since i've owned a 328 before a slower one is just going to feel like a let down. At least with a differect car altogther it will have other things that make up for it, whereas a 4 cylinder BMW is just going to be slower.

OK, you win! Audi sounds like a good buy if you after something solid and german. Thought about VW or even skoda? A colleague of mine has just bought a Y reg octavia and he has had many cars in his time including a recent passat and diesel citroen ZX both of which he swears are two of the best cars he's owned, until he bought the skoda! and this guy is almost as critical as Clarkson!

Food for thought........

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2007 at 12:57

You wont go wrong with a Ford...

The first Focus, get that in a 2.0i and it will be a pocket rocket and it wouldn't need to go anywhere near a Ford garage for servicing.  Nice sweet handling car, lift off oversteer for a bit of tail action....

I had a 1.8i LX as a hire car and it was swift, 2.0i quicker still.

...if Ford still made a rear drive car, I'd have one...would be cheaper than the BM.

A quick Skoda will be a nice suprise.  My future father in law has a 1.6 Octavia and it is a flying machine.  Just a rebadged Golf with a boot.  It's a Volkswagon underneath but not a Volkswagon prices.

Remember an Audi A3 is a Golf and the Skoda Octavia is built from a very similar floor pan/chassis.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

A quick Skoda will be a nice suprise.  My future father in law has a 1.6 Octavia and it is a flying machine.  Just a rebadged Golf with a boot.  It's a Volkswagon underneath but not a Volkswagon prices.

Remember an Audi A3 is a Golf and the Skoda Octavia is built from a very similar floor pan/chassis.

Andrew

One of the guys i work with got the octavia vrs, well chuffed with it.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2007 at 14:51
My wife has a 1.8 focus and it's a great little car. A bit lacking in grunt but it handles really well and is fun to drive. I may be going to look at a 2 litre zetec at the weekend, as long as it hasn't sold by then.
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2007 at 20:10
Alfalfa 147? 
Beating around the bush.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 08:13

I was having a look at the Focus ast night.  The 2.0 has only something like 7 bhp more than the 1.8 but it is considerably more thirsty. The fractional extra power does not make it worth the extra cost in fuel.

Go for the 1.8. 

Alpha's. Nice looking cars but are they not kinda pricey to run with terms or reliability and build quality? 

My old boss has a 156 which he and I quote "I get to drive it when the garage's courtesy car needs a service."   Timing belt snapped on him too, below the stated mileage for changing the belt.  8 new exhaust valves and £1,000+ later....

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 08:44
I was thinking about the diesel, which I believe is a little more reliable than the 156's notorious engines.
Beating around the bush.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 09:53

I was having a look at the Focus ast night.  The 2.0 has only something like 7 bhp more than the 1.8 but it is considerably more thirsty. The fractional extra power does not make it worth the extra cost in fuel.

Go for the 1.8. 

The 2.0 focus has 128bhp as opposed to 115 for the 1.8 so only an extra 13bhp and a similar ammount of extra torque. I'm going to drive one to see if the extra power is worth it. According to the figures it's a second quicker to 60 so i expect it to feel a bit quicker. TBH if it isn't I will leave the focus altogether. My wifes 1.8 is just not quick enough and the engine feels like it's been strangled to keep the power/emmissions down.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 12:56

Originally posted by fozzymandeus fozzymandeus wrote:

I was thinking about the diesel, which I believe is a little more reliable than the 156's notorious engines.

Good point well made there Sir!  My ex boss has certainly had his fair share of 156 engine problems.  I think the last one was some big oil leak and a leaking rad!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 13:04

My wifes 1.8 is just not quick enough and the engine feels like it's been strangled to keep the power/emmissions down.

I think you will find that with most engines nowadays.

If you look back years ago, a 1.8 Sierra with the CVH engine had something like 100 bhp but it felt quicker cos the engine didn't have to breath out through a cat.

If we were to breathe out through a drinking straw, that would be similar to an engine blowing exhaust gases thru a cat.

Removing both the cats from my Vauxhall Senator would have upped the power by a further 20bhp but the question is would you notice it having already got 204 bhp.

Bearing in mind Peter that you had some good cars in the past, like the 328i then some fast Jap car then a fairly swift 530i, most things will feel slow in comparison unfortunately. 

You have had a good time with the fast cars in the past but with your plans you may have to go to something a bit slower I'm afraid.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 13:35

You have had a good time with the fast cars in the past but with your plans you may have to go to something a bit slower I'm afraid.

I know

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 18:11
...you could always not have kids?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 20:36

what about a jwc mini cooper loads of grunt proper stability abs dsc  run flats and comes with the factory fitted child restraint gismo.(and its a sort of bmw!!)     

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 20:58
How is a JWC Mini Cooper going to save him money?  He'll have to sell the 530i and then add a stack load of cash to buy in the first place!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 08:58

Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

How is a JWC Mini Cooper going to save him money?  He'll have to sell the 530i and then add a stack load of cash to buy in the first place!

How true, JCW Minis start at about 10k but most are 12k +. So more than twice what I have to spend. It's not like i'd save that much on running costs either. 

Finally, it's a new mini so looks like Noddy's car

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 13:03

Finally, it's a new mini so looks like Noddy's car

Nah.  The Noddy Car award goes to the late 90's Nissan Micra!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic