Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSpeed check question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 17:26
I note you've changed your signature. If I remember correctly I thought you didn't like 'poor' people with BMW's. FORUM LINK  Why the sudden change? 
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Sponsored Links

Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 17:30
Oh but he only did it for research... 
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 17:34
Lads he is a troll.  Ignore him.

Mick
Rich Guy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 19:35

Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

Oh but he only did it for research... 

Yup...... research for my masters. Meanwhile you (tax payers)  ay my salary and fund my pension.

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 04:01
Originally posted by Rich Guy Rich Guy wrote:

Yup...... research for my masters. Meanwhile you (tax payers)  ay my salary and fund my pension.

You make it sound like you are not a tax payer!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 14:15

Originally posted by Rich Guy Rich Guy wrote:

Spoken like a mule ?????

Would you care to elaborate on that a little?

If I drive with my speedo reading 65mph, I am doing 97kph.  Not pie in the sky maths - I check it regularly using satnav and the cars own trip computer.

Dring driving - zero the limit and everyone can be sure how close to the limit they are.  That may sound harsh, but chances are that the designated driver will be off the booze for the night anyway.  However, that leaves people in rural areas in a position where they can't even have one drink due to the lack of public transport, taxies included.

Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 14:57
@ Rich Guy. Maybe if you would stop being so arrogant towards everyone we would take more notice? You tell us basically that we are not safe drivers or am i wrong? Maybe im taking it up wrong but i doubt it. I fail to see how doing 65 in a 60 on a wide open dualcarriageway can cause carnage. Traffic cops should be out in housing estates/residential areas/country lanes where saxo's driven by boy racers who think there in mondello not catching easy targets on motorways. its dangerous driving and recklessness that causes the carnage not slight speeding on motorways. thats just my humble opinion.
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 16:49
Lads

You are all falling for it.  He is a classic internet troll.  No introduction.  No hello.  First post slagging off the whole basis for the forum he has joined.  Pontificating in threads where it isn't warranted.

Trying to answer with reason will not work.  Only ignoring him will.

Mick
Mick525i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:13

Very interesting thread.

Speed kills... O course it does.. 2 cars traveling in oppesite directions traveling at 100kph each. 1 idiot is texting or drinking a can of coke and crosses the white line SMASH... 2 dead. The speed killed them, thats just physics. But they were not speeding... its bad driving and bad attitude thats killing road users.  We are all responsible. And I think the speed checks will do nothing to kerb the deaths. I am not on a high moral ground as I do speed and every one has at some point, any one who claims different is a lair. I have been infront of the Justice and lost but before points were interjuced. (no points yet, not because I dont speed, just been lucky)

"lets ban smoking.. fullstop and we would save many more lives than if we banned the car"

i better stop now as this topic gets me mad.

Better driving tests and experiance before you take to the road. A 17 year old should not have the god given right to take to the roads in what ever car they can afford, its just stupid.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:46
@Mick520i
I do agree that we should have better tests, and I think we should all have
to do a test minmum every 5 years, and an eye test every 2-3 (I wear
glasses), but don't agree with you about the 17 year old. I was 18 when I
started driving on the roads (insurance was my present) but was not
accompanied at all, EVER. I had been driving since I was 11 (never on the
open road). I had more experiance by the time I turned 18 than half the
people on the road today. (What do I sound like?) Anyway a lot of people
say that we should introduce special conditions for young drivers, speed
limits, time limits, distance limits, engine size limits and more which
REALLY anoys me. I do think we should have to do a practical test of
some sort before being let out on the open road though. And to get our
FULL licence we should have to do more than one test. But with 400,000 L
drivers out there, thats a long way off.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Emmet323 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 00:26
Been trawling through the legal jargon but am still not certain about a few things and would really appreciate clarification from someone...

Fixed or 'van' gatso will just snap as you go past and it's sent out in the post (btw are the vans radar or laser based?), no need to stop you.

Garda hiding under a dark bridge with no lights on and leaning on bonnet pointing a 'gun' at 5AM on the M1 southbound towards the airport.... possibly around 130kph before noticed... should he have stopped this driver ?. Btw not a single other car to be seen for miles in this hypothetical scenario... really pisses me off.

Am seriously considering investing in this; some reviews here
Would it be able to handle the mobile boys? (Handheld and vans?)

Edited by Emmet323
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 02:57
I believe that radar is not used anymore really.

As for the garda having to stop you - seemingly there are two types of device used by them, one which can take a pic therefore the garda doesn't need to stop you, and the other doesn't take a pic so the garda has to stop you. The ones that take pics are in the Louth and Laois areas AFAIK.

As for getting a radar/laser detector/jammer they are illegal to buy/sell/own/use/install/think about/look at on the internet/spell. The gardai can confiscate the equipment if they see it.
According to a recent thread on boards.ie anyhow, these have varying results. Some beep when there is no garda around and don't beep when they are.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Mick525i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 04:00

[QUOTE=flyingalexf68]@Mick520i 
but don't agree with you about the 17 year old.

I too was 17 and bought my own car and insured it. I drove like I knew it all. I too had driven around fields and private roads froma an early age, but as soon as I got into a car with my mates on a bank holiday weekend I could get to cork in 2 1/2 hours.. driving like a d1ckhead. I accecpt that now but would have told you to feck off when I was 17 if you told me to slow down. And Im not that old now(31). We need better training and enforcemant of the laws not just speeding, from an early age if we are to change the mind set of young and old drivers.

But hey Im sure Gay Byrne will  be able to reach out to the youth of today and convince them to drive safely.

best of luck and safe driving all.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 06:26

Well there you go Mick. Thats where you and I differ. I never drove like a d1ckhead. Yes I did mess and have fun but in safe places. I always had FULL knowledge of ALL the rules of the road and respect for them. (speed has a Limit, which can change, so is not a rule). Thats why I don't think painting all 17 year olds with the same brush and having special rules for them is fair.

Anyone here done the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) Advanced Driver Training day? I'd love to do it. Have to get some free time. I did the Hibernian Ignition a few years ago, which is run with the IAM. Learned a couple of things. Don't think 1 day is enough though.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
Mick525i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 06:33
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Well there you go Mick. Thats where you and I differ. I never drove like a d1ckhead. Yes I did mess and have fun but in safe places. I always had FULL knowledge of ALL the rules of the road and respect for them. (speed has a Limit, which can change, so is not a rule). Thats why I don't think painting all 17 year olds with the same brush and having special rules for them is fair.

Anyone here done the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) Advanced Driver Training co****? I'd love to do it. Have to get some free time. I did the Hibernian Ignition co**** a few years ago, which is run with the IAM. Learned a couple of things. Don't think the 1 day co**** is enough though.

Sorry mate I wasnt having a go, I just think we must treat all new drivers the same as it would be impossible to tell who will be carefull and who will be irrisponsible behind the wheel. I now feel that I am a good driver but only because of my experiance. (Trucks for 4 years and 40Kmls per year driving company car) Also autotesting teaches you good car control.

Hey we can bash this topic to death all day long and no one will agree.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 06:38
True.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 07:35
Alex - I had been trying to organise an IAM course, but tbh there wasn't much support for the idea ("it won't reduce my insurance so why should I do it" line of thought).  Will be doing it myself, and am still up for organising it for a group.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 10:05
Sounds good Fey. The only thing for me is getting time as I work 7 days a week. I'd try to get time off if I had enough notice. They might do a BMW discount if a few of us did it. Try your luck and see what they will do. We could take bets to see who can pass first time to encourage the lads.
KenM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 10:15

Have to say this has turned into a juicy thread.... to throw in my two cents.

Does speed contribute to road death... yes. Naturally... If cars were not moving they wouldn't kill people! Personally I believe there is WHOLE LOT MORE PROBLEMS on the roads other than people doing 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit.

I drive a motor bike in and out of the city centre every day of the week. To be honest I've lost count of the amount of times I've nearly been taken out of it. People pulling out without looking, changing lanes without looking, the last 4 technique for red lights, making u-turns without looking, making a jump for an illegal right turn, etc. etc. The list goes on and one.... the main problem I feel is observation BIG TIME.

There are six times more fatalities off motor bikes than cars and I've seen plenty of crashes where motor bikes have been TAKEN OUT OF IT! by drivers not looking where they are going.

The main flaw with speed limits is they are designed for worst possible conditions when being factored. Is 70mph on the M50 during rushhour safe.... with the way people live on each others bumpers in Ireland HELL NO!!! Is 70 or 80 safe on the M50 on a dry sunny day with very few other cars on the road... YES. You also have to factor in the car itself.... if you're doing 80 mph in a 1980 Fiesta on the M50 at rush hour.... first of all CONGRATULATIONS!!! for getting it to 80 but start saying hail mary's if anything happens. If you've doing 80 on an open road in a performance car you will easily reduce speed, change lane, speed up etc. with little fear of losing control of the car.

I disagree strongly with the way speed limits are policed in Ireland. There are far too many black spots where people aren't checked. I've actually seen a three car pile up on the N4 on a Sunday afternoon because of a speed van. Sitting on a straight stretch of road, 2 lanes and a hard shoulder!! Would that accident have happened if it wasn't there..... definitely not.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen speed checks at the end of the quays at Guinness' and slightly further out heading up towards the junction at the end of the Con Colbert Road... the little layby in on the left. The van always parks right in behind the wall.....

This is pure entrapment... rather than the Gardai getting down onto the quays to help the traffic move they wait till people can actually get going and do them for 35mph in a 30 or something crazy like that... thats as fast as you are going to be going there.

All I can say is thank God motor bikes don't have reg plates on the front.... I've gone past that van a few times over the years.

To be honest I would love if the Gardai installed cameras on motor cyclists helmets... the amount of people you would see breaking lights, sitting on the phone in traffic, texting in traffic, changing lanes without looking, etc. Clamping down on THAT would make a difference not doing people for being 5 mph over the limit in a 30 zone where there is nobody else on the road.....

A long winded rant but I've got it off my chest.... probably is a troll but at least I have my point of view aired.

Emmet323 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2006 at 10:58
Couldn't agree more, particularly about entrapment and lack of driver observation.

There's plenty of legislation out there it's just not being enforced, and sorry but 100% of the speeding 'enforcement' i see is as Ken rightly points out pure entrapment and serves no contribution to lowering road deaths.

I've often thought about hooking up front and rear cameras in my own car, daily i see nutters driving around blissfully unaware that there are other cars surrounding them and/or they have indicators and/or indicators are not an automatic right of way etc. etc...

(Thanks Kbannon for the confirmation on the guns, was my better half actually and when she got to work a few people were complaining about it at least one of whom had seen him pull a jeep over).

Btw i know the jammers etc. are illegal but does anyone know how enforced this is?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic