Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 13:48
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I'm against Livvy...I think, not that I want to frustrate the police, although I think they use the media to over egg the terrorist stuff, I'm thinking against this as I'm afraid the government will missuse it for other purposes.

I think the terrorist part is the thin end of the wedge. It is help with regards to other crimes that it will play a greater part.

Yeah, like thoughtcrimes.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 13:55
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Yeah, like thoughtcrimes.

Software for that is still about 14 days away from successful development isn't it ?
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 15:43
I don't see why no one thinks about the fatal flaw in this, change the number plate and you go undetected.  Worse still the finger of suspicion could be pointed someone elses way. 

Identity/number plate theft is on the rise..

Try and identify a criminal and he will find a way to go undetected, eventually the only thing ANPRs will be used for is keeping tabs on normal citizens. 

The government can always change their mind on the use of a piece of technology once it's in place, people shouldn't be so trusting. 
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 15:59
Originally posted by scarface scarface wrote:

I don't see why no one thinks about the fatal flaw in this, change the number plate and you go undetected.  Worse still the finger of suspicion could be pointed someone elses way. 

Identity/number plate theft is on the rise..

Try and identify a criminal and he will find a way to go undetected, eventually the only thing ANPRs will be used for is keeping tabs on normal citizens. 

The government can always change their mind on the use of a piece of technology once it's in place, people shouldn't be so trusting. 

You think the anomaly of two cars running around on the same plates at different ends of the country won't sound an alarm on the system quickly ?

The vehicles will then be stopped & the one in the "rung" car dealt with.

I for one would be glad that the camera would show the Police that someone else is running around on my plate number & help them catch them. that's one of the benefits of the system not one of the problems.

Edited by livvy
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 16:06

You think the anomaly of two cars running around on the same plates at different ends of the country won't sound an alarm on the system quickly ?

The vehicles will then be stopped & the one in the "rung" car dealt with.

And time of the driver of the "un-rung" car will be wasted.

Originally posted by Leni Riefenstahl Leni Riefenstahl wrote:

I for one would be glad that the camera would show the Police that someone else is running around on my plate number & help them catch them.

I for one would prefer my privacy and also not encourage the habit of "ringing" cars. This kind of fascist monitoring of the unwashed masses is going to create an awful lot of this kind of behaviour.

I can see entire divisions of bureaucracy gone mad, where law-abiding citizens spend days every year proving that their car is their car, because Crapita have made a pig's ear of yet another government contract, and accused every motor vehicle driver of something nefarious.

This whole thing has so many bad things going for it, I can't believe people are still standing up for it.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 16:22
He does have a valid point here Livvy, the press was full of stories regarding the congestion charging zone down your way, people from all over the country were getting grief, and the ownus seemed to be on the part of the plate owner, the authorities were behaving very badly.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 16:51

He does have a valid point here Livvy, the press was full of stories regarding the congestion charging zone down your way, people from all over the country were getting grief, and the ownus seemed to be on the part of the plate owner, the authorities were behaving very badly.

But that is my point, ringing is here with us already & it is causing a lot of problems & wasted time for both the Police & the innocent victims of it.

Far more of the innocent victims time is currently wasted with sorting out that mess than it will be in the future.

With a network of cameras the authorities are likely to be aware of the fact that there are two cars running around on the your plate number before you start receiving all the fines.

The system will also be providing supporting evidence for you of that fact (if it isn't picked up immeadiately) through search facilities on the movements of cars. Which will mean the authorities will have far less of a "they all say that there's another car running around with my reg number" attitude, because there will be evidence to support that.

If there is a bank robber running around on your plate, is the first you want to know of it when the Police turn up to deal with you for armed robbery at your house ? Rudely awakened by an armed team perhaps ? Do you want to phone the office from the Police station & say you won't be in today because the Police are questioning you about a few armed robberies ? Or would you rather the Police already be aware that there are two cars running on that plate at opposing ends of the country & the offences aren't happening where the registered keepers (your) car is ?

Edited by livvy
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 17:35

But that is my point, ringing is here with us already & it is causing a lot of problems & wasted time for both the Police & the innocent victims of it.

Far more of the innocent victims time is currently wasted with sorting out that mess than it will be in the future.

With a network of cameras the authorities are likely to be aware of the fact that there are two cars running around on the your plate number before you start receiving all the fines.

The system will also be providing supporting evidence for you of that fact (if it isn't picked up immeadiately) through search facilities on the movements of cars. Which will mean the authorities will have far less of a "they all say that there's another car running around with my reg number" attitude, because there will be evidence to support that.

If there is a bank robber running around on your plate, is the first you want to know of it when the Police turn up to deal with you for armed robbery at your house ? Rudely awakened by an armed team perhaps ? Do you want to phone the office from the Police station & say you won't be in today because the Police are questioning you about a few armed robberies ? Or would you rather the Police already be aware that there are two cars running on that plate at opposing ends of the country & the offences aren't happening where the registered keepers (your) car is ?

It's a great pity that your idealistic perspective is greatly undermined by the recent case of a scamera partnership sending out a fine without checking the photo beforehand. Or all the cases where policemen were involved and CCTV footage mysteriously disappeared.

Precisely because of this ANPR system, I predict the following:

1. "Ringing" will become far more prevalent.
2. Policing standards will remain at their current levels.
3. More innocent people than ever before will be woken up by armed police bashing down their front door looking for Slasher McGurk and his cohorts. More innocent people than ever before will be making that call to the office, because the police will not bother to check things out.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 17:44
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

This is alongside my own thoughts Spokey. I'm undecided at best, coming down on your side at worst....not that I think we actually have much of a say in it,

I'm of the opinion its just going to happen.

Welcome Nigel to the Realist/Fatalist's world!
..and I'm another member. ..

Spokey - stop rising to their bait - just join our club

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 17:52
Edmund Burke wrote: "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing."
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 17:57

Edmund Burke wrote: "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing."

very profound!  http://cunningrealist.blogspot.com/

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 18:05

It's a great pity that your idealistic perspective is greatly undermined by the recent case of a scamera partnership sending out a fine without checking the photo beforehand.

How does that equate to this ?
One is a fairly automated process for SCPs for the absolute offence of speeding. One which I agree with you though, photos should be manually checked before sending out.

The other will flag up information for action by Police officers, or provide them with information in current investigations. Not absolute offences.

I doubt whether a Police officer has anything to do with the production & sending out of NIPs in SCPs.

Or all the cases where policemen were involved and CCTV footage mysteriously disappeared.

What are the cases that you know for a fact that has happened in ?
Or are we talking tabloid allegations ?
The same tabloids who "in the absence of official revelations" surrounding the "de Menzies" shooting introduced their own lurid version of events that changed daily ?

Precisely because of this ANPR system, I predict the following:

1. "Ringing" will become far more prevalent.

It's already widespread, ANPR offers a good opportunity to provide evidence of it & locate offenders.

2. Policing standards will remain at their current levels.

ANPR will incresae detections & arrests as they have for officers arrest rates in London.

3. More innocent people than ever before will be woken up by armed police bashing down their front door looking for Slasher McGurk and his cohorts. More innocent people than ever before will be making that call to the office, because the police will not bother to check things out.

As I've said ANPR will make this less likely because of the increased intelligence on vehicles. Not having that info makes what you describe more likely because Police will not be aware initially of the rung vehicles.

Edited by livvy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>