Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1980 528i Won’t Start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 528i Won’t Start
    Posted: 21-August-2004 at 21:34

Hey guys, My cars not starting and found your forum so I thought maybe someone could help me out. Last Night I was driving and I was in second gear then pressed the clutch down to change into third and when I reved the car the revs went up to about 3 or 4000 it suddenly  just went down to 0 and the engine shut off. I was just driving on the clutch for a few seconds untill I found a place to pull over and turned off the car. Then when I went to start up the car it wouldn't start up, it makes a noise like it's trying to start up but never actualy starts. I had to get towed back to my house last night and it's still not starting up today. I wasn't sure if anyone might know whats wrong with it or what I can do to try and fix it. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2004 at 21:39
could be fuel pump or relay (is there any noise from the pump?) or it could be spark related (what are the rotor arm and leads like?)
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
donotank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2004 at 21:43
I don't hear any noise from the pump and I'm sure about the spark plugs. I was gonna check today but it raining the whole day.
keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2004 at 00:08
Hi Matt, I have an E28 and I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump relay. This is the big rectangluar relay that is outside (but right next to) the fuse and relay box in the engine. Hopefully this helps,

Keith
donotank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2004 at 03:52

Is the fuel pump relay the same as the combo relay? And if thats the problem with my car then is there a way to fix it or would I just have to buy another one. I was wondering about whether it was the same as a combo relay because I searched for fuel pump relay at bavauto.com and didn't find anything but I did find a combo relay for about $65.

Matt

donotank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2004 at 03:16

I checked the combo relay and that seems to be working. I was thinking that maybe it could be the fuel pump or maybe timing chain broke while I was driving. Anyone think that might be right or something else could be broken. I'm just trying to get some info on whats wrong incase it's just a minor problem and I can fix or I'm gonna have to get it towed to a garage and have them fix it.

Matt

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic