Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 520i sill repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E34 520i sill repair
    Posted: 23-August-2004 at 18:08

Hi

Does anyone know if I can buy sill ends. The sills are solid upto the area in front of the jacking points (front) Where after carefull cleaning I have found corrosion with holes ( as big as a 20p) I don't want to replace the whole sill as the rest of the car is mint condition. If parts are not available does anyone know of a good welder in the Bradford (west Yorks) area who could patch them cleanly?

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2004 at 19:07
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2004 at 23:36

As far as I know you cant replace E34 sills, they are in two sections, and both sections fit up inside, and are spot welded to the "B" post, you will never get them out.

Robert Sterns of Evesham told me this.

The front drivers side jacking point seems to be normal to rot, as it has the pipe coming down into it for the sun roof vent, the correct hole then gets full of muck, and the sill fills up with water.

On neither of the ones I've owned has the passenger side been rotten.

I couldnt buy a jacking point, and the one on my smashed up car was also rotten, so my mate made me one, and "let" it in.

I also had rot on the rear nearside sill/wheelarch, this was due to a bad accident damage repair sometime in the cars life.

We cut this section out of my smashed up one and let it in.

I would suggest you try Alan Cowlands on 01536 723587, or www.fabdirect.com , or any other scrapyard you can find, and ask them to cut out the section you want from one that hasnt rotted.

Alternatively your going to have to find a good car restorer, and get him to make repair panels, my mate does this all the time on the classic saabs he does, as repair panels have long since been unavailable for those.

You should be able to find one in a scrappy though, these cars arent exactly rare.......yet

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic