Forum LockedBoot lid Badges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot lid Badges
    Posted: 06-September-2004 at 03:50

My E39 BMW bought second hand, me being the second owner, doesn't have the 523i badge on the boot lid. 

The previous owner had it de-badged.  Why do people do it?  Is it to hide the fact that they are really tight fisted folk who only buy the frugal 1.6 and 1.8 power units on the Series 3's and don't want others knowing it?  Feel better... rant over.

Anyone know how much a new 523i badge would be?  Presumably these are a dealer source part only.  Anyone got any dimensions as to where these things go on the boot lid?  Is it just double sided tape that holds these badges on?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Retset View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2004 at 04:50

Why do they do it? 3 reasons:

1) They have a smaller engined model in the range and hide it out of embarrasment - usually done by people who wanted the car as some sort of image statement but don't give a monkey's about how quick it is.

2) They have the fastest model in the range but want to get give that nova driving chav a surprise at the lights

3) To give the boot a cleaner visual profile.

My 540i was debadged from new. Click my signature link to look at all the pics. Lovely isn't it? Handles well on M suspension as well. But does it look like it has 286bhp? No it doesn't! As long as I leave the standard 16" alloys on, I have the perfect "Q-car" ;)

I have read somwhere that in Germany it is mainly the big engined cars that are debadged and that in the UK it is mainly the small engined ones ... go figure!

Yours is interesting as it is not the smallest engined model. Of course, it sounds like it has a 2.3 when it actually has a 2.5 so perhaps the new buyer thought it sounded weenier than it was?

I like a debadged car (my previous Passat 1.8T just said "Passat" and was faster than it looked, plastic wheel trims etc!) and would say to just leave it but that is, of course, a very personal opinion. I think they are just a stick on item from the stealers. You could just take a ruler with you and measure the location of one of the used E39's in stock whilst you are buying the badge!

Edited by Retset
1997 540i Touring auto

Pictures and spec.
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2004 at 05:25
Check with your local dealer, IIRC the car is standard with the badges and de-badging is a FOC option - Theoretically you should get the badges for free!

I know with my E30 M3, imported from Germany without front or back badges, these were supplied FOC after looking at the computer (not sure if this was my dealer or something gleaned from the screen).

Worth a call ay!
Phil
Retset View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2004 at 07:16
Also, you can get all your cars original spec from any BMW main stealer - just call or visit with chassis (last 7 digits only) or reg number - see my post 3rd down here for more details on what you can get.
1997 540i Touring auto

Pictures and spec.
parsley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2004 at 07:42

Andrew,

You should be able to get a replacement badge from Euro Car Parts (http://www.eurocarparts.com/default.asp). They're usually around 12 quid

HTH

Parsley

1993 E34 520i

BMWE34sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2004 at 07:51

Andrew

There happens to be one on Ebay at the moment, I found it when I was looking for Bonnet and Boot Roundels http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category =10374&item=2488997885&rd=1

Stuart

1991 525 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic