Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp with overheating M535i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with overheating M535i
    Posted: 06-September-2004 at 06:02

Took my car out on Sunday (1981 E12 M535i) for a drive however after only five minutes down the road the engine temperature was at normal ( in the middle of temp gauge) which I felt was a little quick however I carried on, we soon approached some standing traffic after about two minutes the temperature needle rose alarmingly fast to just under the red maximum marker, luckily the traffic soon began moving and once underway the temperature returned to normal. I decided that it would be best to turn home and not risk any further overheating Upon returning home I left the car ticking over and the temp began to rise again I popped the bonnet and the fan was moving at a good speed but it was still running hot. I did notice the other day a bit of bubbling in the water expansion tank the other day after I had taken the car round the block.  The car has been in storage on and off for over six years and has only covered small distances for the MOT’s and occasional maintenance, could the cooling system benefit from a good flush? Or could it possibly be the thermostat or maybe head gasket? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pete 

Edited by Peter e12
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2004 at 08:34

Pete

Sound like your stat is malfunctioning.

If you see bubbles in your expansion tank this means that water is being forced the wrong way around the cooling system.  This is caused by a thermostat jamming shut and water is unable to move around the system in the correct way.  Steam bubbles form as the coolant gets too hot and  they rise up thru the easiest path to the expansion tank.

Usually stats fail safe i.e. in the open position which means that the engine will always be over cooled. But some can fail closed.

Open her up and horse out the stat.  Check it by suspending it in a pan of water which you bring to the boil.  The stat should open at somewhere over 90 deg C (I don't know the exact spec for your car) use a cooking thermometer like one for making toffee to check the opening temperature.

Mind you if you have had the stat out to check it you might as well put in a new one. 

Also disconnect one of the rad hoses and stuff a garden hose into the radiator outlets and back flush the system for half an hour to get rid of any sludge in your block.

Make sure you refill her with the correct ratio of antifreeze/water.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter e12 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2004 at 11:13
Thanks Andrew that sounds promising I was worried it may be something more serious, it's going into the garage tomorrow for a few jobs so i've just ordered a new thermostat and seal so i'll get that changed and the cooling sytem flushed at the same time, hopefully that should cure the problem, thanks again.

Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic