Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBuying new BMW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 19:49

Ahem Mr Killian, my passport actually says the north is part of the UK, and as such will have the same tax system lol.

Even the phone numbers are direct dial with no country code needed from the UK.

I could never understand why they had/have ? different number plates though, ( its hard to tell if they are still different as so many of the cars in the north now have been brought over from the mainland).

I hope we never get the Euro, after watching what has happened to you lot, and my Froggy counterparts.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2004 at 04:19

The € is brill, ensuring you know what something costs accross europe. No exchange rates or nothing.

Anyway, I don't want to be political but the Irish Consitiution until recently laid a claim over Norn Iron. Phone numbers to NI from the Republic are direct dial also. The reg plates are in UK format (orange back, etc. and are generally of the format LLL NNN. The mainland system is different but not too much. Most cars to my knowledge are bought there (but imported via UK). From what I remember many people are buying NI reg plates on the mainland so they can get the likes of BAZ or GAZ or 1DIOT or whatever.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2004 at 06:00

Until the last number plate change, we werent allowed Z or I anywhere on the plate, on a mainland redg, although we could of course buy an Irish one, prices range form about Ł50.

I almost went for NIW 2254 instead of my B7 NPW, and although my car has never lived in Ireland, it has had two NI redgs on it.

The bit I couldnt understand is why there was a difference, eg BAZ 2267 versus T226 TUY, the former being the NI one, and the latter the one but last mainland one.

All the other parts of the UK had the latter.

I'm not sure what they do now, the mainland format is now BU04 ABC, where the first two letters denote where the vehicle was first redg, that example would be Birmingham,the two numbers will denote when it was redg, that one would be march to september 2004, and the last three are random.

This led to some great combinations, like DO51 COW, which is made to look like DOZI COW, this was for sale when we bought my wifes new car, but I was threatened with death.

I think your format is good, ( we cant be seen to be copying the Irish though !), although I am used to the UK colours.

Am I correct in thinking you dont have private redgs ?

I have only seen these in the UK, and the States.

Best Wishes

Nigel

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2004 at 16:40

The Irish system won some EU award IIRC when it started in 1987. There is no doubt as to the age of the car or where it was first registered*. My E30 is 89-RN-320, indicating that it was the 320th car registered in Co. Roscommon in 1989. All cars are given the next available number for the local authority area in which the first registrant lives. The number dies with the car and is non transferable. You may pre-book a number for a car for something like €300 but the car cannot be used on public roads until all numbers up to your number are issued & allowed on the roads.

* except for when an old car is imported - this car even though it may have been licenced abroad at the start of a year, will recieve the next available number resulting in the car lookinglike an end of year regd car.

1997 E39 523i
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 17:12

Two points:

On the original topic, if you want a fairly specific spec mix of extras and colour then you really need to think about searching in the UK.  The number of the larger engined cars sold here is so small, relatively speaking, that the chances of finding an exact fit for your requirements are tiny.  Found this a couple of years ago looking for an e46 328i touring for my sister.  They weren't to be had here pre-owned at that time regardless of spec and you had a better chance of being murdered in Manhattan than finding the mix of leather, climate, esr and colour(s) she wanted.  Had numerous matches through the UK BMW Approved Used scheme, in her case, and got exactly what she wanted.

On Killian's explanation of his reg number, e.g his being the 320th car registered in that area in that year, that's not quite true in more recent years as the numbers 1 to 200 are reserved in all counties (since about '92 or '93).  They can be had by paying a fee and the number 1 is reserved in some areas for the mayors car.  In fact, all other numbers can be reserved, but they can't be applied to a car until they come up in sequence.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 17:40
When I bought my car it came with a private plate, a few people have mentioned its an irish plate, LLL NNNN. so might it be an imported plate?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Spoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 17:41

Funny this topic has come up. I'm getting a car (to keep) in january and I am getting a nice english reg. I have an address in england so I can get away with this.

I came across M3 BOY during my search..... now wouldn't that be nice!

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 18:27
Have spotted a 328i in the UK thats taken my fancy!! Fingers crossed that its a manual....

Edited by kdevitt
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 18:37

Looks good...............unusual colour

Spoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 18:48
looks real nice
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 19:11

Looks realy nice, lovely colour combo with interior.

Not struck on an auto then?
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 03:35
nice one Ken
1997 E39 523i
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 04:04

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

When I bought my car it came with a private plate, a few people have mentioned its an irish plate, LLL NNNN. so might it be an imported plate?

FIrstly, it wont be an "imported" plate, even if it is an NI redg, it wont be classed as imported, they are quite legal here, as they are issued by the Uk authorities.

Secondly, you wont get too many comments, as a lot of mainland people dont even know these are NI redg numbers, unless you have lived in, or visited frequently, why would you ?

If you bought Killians E30, then you would have a period of time in which to get it tested and re-redgistered, as that would be an imported plate, as although we have many agreements between the two countries ( not needing passports, almost zippo border controls etc, rather like europe now, but its been like this with Ireland for as long as I've been travelling there, you could also spend sterling before the Euro, and in my experience, you still can), they are a seperate country, so as far as cars are concerned, its "abroad".

Lastly, not knowing what letters and numbers, it could possibly be a very old British plate, we seem to have gone through just about every combination, not sure which came first, A1 or 1A, but 4 numbers 2 letters are very common as private plates.

It would be a very unpopular move amongst the private plate bods if we were ever required to standardise amongst Europe, as you would just lose them, you never really own them, you just pay for the privaledge of being able to display them on your car.

Best Wishes

Nigel

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 04:08
Auto's are great - but not my cup of tea. The colour is individual cherry red (or something like that - my bosses old 840ci was the same colour) Nappa leather, and what appears to be the full options list....an 33K on the clock.

Will keep you all updated!!
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 05:07
Yeah....stay away from the Autos. Also,that car had the standard body kit so you would probably have ended up modding it.If you are going to go to the UK hold off for one with everything on it.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 06:44

Nigel

A1 was first and as far as I am aware was owned by Dunlop for years.

The original plates in Ireland all included an I or Z as you mentioned.  The reg for a county was decided starting with IA and then done in alphabetical order by county name, e.g. IA was Antrim, IB was Armagh, IC was Carlow, etc.  This was done before the creation of the Republic of Ireland, so the alpabetical order covers all 32 counties. Some were missed or not used, I don't think IG was used and so we missed out on such personalized numbers as BIG 1 !  Original Irish plates from southern counties were available to use as personalized numbers in the UK if they were first issued before 1922 I think.

One difference between north and south though was that Northern counties issued numbers up to 9999 following the letters for all registrations whereas in the south, only the initial plate in a series was issued to 9999, e.g. IC9999 and following sequences only went to 3 digits, e.g. AIC 999.  Don't know why that was.

Nothern Ireland will probably have to change their numbering style in the foreseeable future as they are beginning to run short of new sequences that include an I or Z.

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 12:22
Ah, all becomes a bit clearer now, so mine must be a NI plate 'JLZ 9505' as it contains a 'Z' and numbers under '9999'. You learn soomething different every day.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 12:49

Correct Rhys.

Mrs D thinks that this kind of stuff is tied to the "Rainman" side of my personality!

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 17:14

My missus just thinks I'm sad.

The A1, and 1A I was reffering to are uk issue, so that could be interesting, two cars with the same number, one from Ireland, one from the UK.

Unless ( I've got me tin hat on ), was the south under UK rule at that time too ?

I have a funny feeling it was.

The one I want was N1 GEL, but I have a feeling that is owned by a Mr Mansell, and is fitted to a red Ferrari Diablo.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 17:27
I saw my perfect plate, RGM 1.
The last time I looked it was fitted to a Porsche..

..a coin opperated kiddies toy Porsche outside Tescos that is...
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic