FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBuying new BMW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying new BMW
    Posted: 14-September-2004 at 17:54
Was wondering what garages you guys would recommend for picking up a high spec E46 323/5/8 Coupe - most of the cars I'm seeing around are close to poverty spec - cloth interior etc... As cheap as possible of course!! :)

Cheers
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2004 at 18:19

I spent ages looking at all the websites for my E39 and most of what I saw was v. low spec.

There is a garage on the way between Lucan village and Woodies (as you head towards town they are on the right) with shedloads of (UK imported?) BMWs but I haven't had time to call in. Maybe worth a try.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
AutoRemap View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 03:20
hi Ken,
I just upgraded my car recently. I bought it in sky motors off the naas road. I found them pretty good and they had some nice spec motors when I got mine. mine came with leather, climate control, bmw 6cd changer , FBMWSH etc.. I was looking for about 3 months until I found the one I wanted. I just keep looking in cbg.ie, I have to say some of the car's I seen were very low spec and one thing I would say is to stay away from bmw main dealers as all car's are at least €5000 over the odds. you could also check Autohouse on the rathgar rd as I was driving pass the other day and they were bringing in a few new motors and one of them was I think 03 grey 3 series which from a distance looked very tidy. Another place I tried was Cambridge motors on the sundrive rd. I was also driving past a garage across from superquinn in bray the other day and they have two 3 series in stock a 00 silver and 02 topaz blue. Ken hope this helps
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 04:09
Ken,What sort of money and what year are you after?
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 11:06
Am looking for 99 upwards - don't mind the year, but spec and condition are what I'm after - definitely want leather, climate control, sunroof and shadowline trim - as much as I enjoyed doing up my last car, I don't want to be spending a fortune paying for the extras when I can let the previous owner look after that part !

Have about €30K to play around with, but that'll increase the longer I wait. Also looking for either Black, or an Individual colour... not being picky am I?? :D Getting one from the UK may be an option, but I'll definitely check those places mentioned above!
Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 12:07
This one looks nice:

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 12:12
Yeah saw that one alright - not overly keen on the colour to be honest, and wouldn't like to have to fork out the cash to de-chrome it (despite my attempts to get you to spray your own chrome Richie, I definitely don't have the patience to ever do it again )

BTW - you figure out what was done with your car to get the extra ponies out of it???
topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 14:20

Ken a mate of mine is selling his  Silver 00 328ci at the moment and it has around 40,000 miles on the clock and when it was purchased every option on the list was selected that could be put into car was put in it since he has it he has put on the new Led's and the new M type 18's and also has the tv enabled so that it can be viewed while driving. It has the sport's pack front and rear bumpers and ACS mirrors and side skirts the list of options goes on and on and the reg is personalised

Topazman

E46 Section  

Spoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2004 at 15:43

Look here: - I already sold it though , but the UK is the place to get a 2nd hand beamer from, high spec, low price!!

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10581&a mp;PN=1

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2004 at 05:45
Originally posted by Spoon Spoon wrote:

Look here: - I already sold it though , but the UK is the place to get a 2nd hand beamer from, high spec, low price!!

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10581&a mp;PN=1

..... and high import taxes!!
Spoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2004 at 06:14
It actually still works out cheaper.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2004 at 07:33
Spoon

I have been there many times and have imported 4 bimmers in the last 2 years from the UK.

When you add up all the costs, VRT, Exchange rate, flights, boat trip back with the car, phone calls etc etc, 99% of the time it is not cheaper.

The reason I imported the cars I did is because the cars I wanted are not very easy to get a hold of here (M3 Evo2) and are not as well minded as our UK counterparts.

All in all I probably paid maybe slightly more than what the car may have cost here but certainly no cheaper.
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 10:40
Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

Ken a mate of mine is selling his  Silver 00 328ci at the moment and it has around 40,000 miles on the clock and when it was purchased every option on the list was selected that could be put into car was put in it since he has it he has put on the new Led's and the new M type 18's and also has the tv enabled so that it can be viewed while driving. It has the sport's pack front and rear bumpers and ACS mirrors and side skirts the list of options goes on and on and the reg is personalised

Would have been interested except for the colour! Am keeping an eye out - but may be tempted to get one in from the UK so I can get the spec I want.

Edited by kdevitt
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 10:47

Kdevitt you can't be to fussy on colour when you want a certain spec, this car is specced to the max and you can't spec it any more except change the engine, when I change again I will definately try and get a silver car as it's easier to keep clean etc anyway beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Topazman

E46 Section 

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 11:03

The Irish do seem to be ripped with taxes on cars.

Might be worth selling mine in Ireland!!

That 323 would be about 16-17,000 Euros in the UK!!

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 11:11

I'm glad somebody from the UK realises that they are not taxed as bad as they think your petrol might be dearer but you car prices for the spec you get are better(cheaper) your road tax and insurance is cheaper and I'd reckon that your parts and the service for your cars are cheaper and if your country ever goes Euro then the real difference will be seen. 

Topazman

E46 Section 

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 12:28
Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

I'm glad somebody from the UK realises that they are not taxed as bad as they think your petrol might be dearer but you car prices for the spec you get are better(cheaper) your road tax and insurance is cheaper and I'd reckon that your parts and the service for your cars are cheaper and if your country ever goes Euro then the real difference will be seen. 

Topazman

E46 Section 

I agree, if you join the Euro in UK then prepare to feel the pain. Why is it we're still payin VRT, and are still the only country in the EU to pay such a tax!!!!

I'm sure i read somewhere that under some EU directive or other, that this tax was to be abolished, creating a common market blah blah blah.....but i'm sure if we say nothing, then its full steam ahead for rip-off Ireland as usual

Dave328....i think its worth a try selling your car here(Auto Trader) and yes we are ripped with taxes on cars and almost everything else that you can think of.

Edited by Robbie Bradford
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 12:44
Don't worry I wasn't gloating or anything. I was going
to say... and ppl moan about fuel tax here. I think we
could pay less, but I only use the dearest fuel anyway
- Optimax. Plus our prices aren't that much higher
and some countries are higher than the UK.

Some countries tax more on one thing than the other
and Vice versa.

But the difference in car prices is pretty big, so much
so I made the post. Are Northern Ireland prices
similar to Southern or UKs?

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 12:47

Originally posted by dave 328 dave 328 wrote:

But the difference in car prices is pretty big, so much
so I made the post. Are Northern Ireland prices
similar to Southern or UKs?

NI same as UK pretty much!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2004 at 15:46

NI suffers from the same tax system as UK and its cars are subsequently the same price. Some even say NI part of the UK but Im not going there! Cars sold in NI though often don't have the freebies like insurance etc. that you get over there.

Cars brought into ireland are subject to VRT on the open market selling price of the car (not what it is worth!) and if dave328 brought his over to flog it, he would have to pay 30% of the value of the OMSP on a 328i as soon as he arrives off the boat.

VRT is in most countries but in the likes of the UK it is nothing much compared to ours. Finland or Denmark (one or the other IIRC) has the highest rates. There is absolutely nothing the EU can do - the local tax rates are decided locally and the Eu has no real control over them. Yet!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic