Direct Link To This Post Topic: BTCC Masters Donington
    Posted: 19-September-2004 at 11:48
Cecotto Completes All-Star BTCC Masters Line-up

By BTCC News Team
Sep 15, 2004, 10:55
Email this article
 Printer friendly page

Johnny Cecotto in BTCC action for BMW in 1995
Johnny Cecotto, the former double world motorcycle champion and Formula One Grand Prix driver, has been confirmed as the final star driver to sign up for the British Touring Car Championship’s eagerly-anticipated BTCC Masters race at Donington Park, Leicestershire on 26 September.

Venezuelan Cecotto raced in the BTCC for BMW in 1995, having already won the Italian and German touring car titles. Prior to that, he competed in F1 for the Theodore and Toleman teams – the latter as team-mate to future three-times world champion Ayrton Senna until being forced out by a terrible accident at Brands Hatch in 1984.

By then, though, Cecotto was already one of the most famous names in world motor sport, having won the 350cc and 750cc world motorcycling titles in 1975 and 1978 respectively.

Johnny Cecotto: twice world motorcycling champion, ex-F1 racer and now a BTCC Master
The BTCC Masters race will be for 16 former champions and heroes of the British Touring Car Championship’s golden two-litre era that started in 1990 and held over 20 laps of Donington’s National circuit with each driver at the wheel of identical SEAT Cupra Championship cars. It will take place straight after the new Green Flag British Touring Car Champion has been crowned, for Donington that day also hosts the final three rounds of this year’s BTCC.

The winner of the Masters will nominate a charity to which proceeds from the race day will go.

Johnny Cecotto (VEN): BTCC racer 1995 (BMW 318iS)

“It’s going to be great fun racing against some of the drivers on this grid. It’s a charity race so I’m happy to take part and also come back to England and see my old friends. There’s no driver I want to be beat more than anyone else – I want to beat them all!”

Entry List: 2004 BTCC Masters

Name (NAT), BTCC History

Frank Sytner (GBR), Champion 1988 / two-litre class champion 1990

John Cleland (GBR), Champion 1989 & 1995

Robb Gravett (GBR), Champion 1990

Tim Harvey (GBR), Champion 1992

Gabriele Tarquini (ITA), Champion 1994

Frank Biela (GER), Champion 1996

Alain Menu (SUI), Champion 1997 & 2000

Jason Plato (GBR), Champion 2001

Paul Radisich (NZL), Race-winner 1993-1998

Jeff Allam (GBR), Race-winner 1974-1994

Kelvin Burt (GBR), Race-winner 1990-2004

Julian Bailey (GBR), Race-winner 1991-1995

Johnny Cecotto (VEN), Racer 1995

Patrick Watts (GBR), Racer 1992-1997

Matt Neal (GBR), Race-winner and independents champion 1991-2004

Anthony Reid (GBR), Race-winner and championship runner-up 1997-2004

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Sponsored Links

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 11:49

Charlie Cox is looking forwards to taking the microphone for Donington Park's BTCC Masters
Charlie Cox, the voice of British Touring Cars in the late Nineties, will commentate on the first ever BTCC Masters race at Donington Park, Leicestershire on 26 September.

Cox will partner current ‘anchorman’ Ben Edwards for the race, which will be broadcast live on satellite television channel Motors TV. It will also be screened on Speed Sunday on ITV1 the following Sunday 3 October in a post-produced, ‘behind-the-scenes’ and race highlights programme.

Cox had the difficult task of taking over at the microphone at BTCC events from commentating legend Murray Walker, but the Australian’s passion, knowledge, sense of humour and witty one-liners shone through immediately. Joined by ex-Formula One driver John Watson, Cox was an instant hit with BBC viewers from 1997-2001.

Cox in his BTCC Mondeo at Thruxton ... before the crash
This probably stemmed from the fact he had raced in the BTCC in 1995. He made an impact then too when he memorably rolled his Ford Mondeo out of sight at high speed at Thruxton. And it was from Thruxton that Cox would later deliver one of his most memorable lines as a commentator: “He’s got about as much grip as a dog on lino.”

Cox said he had no second thoughts about commentating on the Masters – a 20-lap race for 16 champions and heroes of the BTCC’s two-litre era in identical SEAT Cupras.

“I think all these Masters are going to get the red mist and go mad,” said Cox. “I can’t wait for parc ferme afterwards! It’s going to be absolutely hilarious watching them remonstrating with each other.

“Seriously, I’ve always been a BTCC fan – I love it. This is a fantastic grid of very exciting racing drivers and, best of all, each one of them is a personality. The atmosphere throughout the whole weekend, on and off the track, is going to be great fun.”

Having commentated on the BTCC since the mid-Nineties up to its current high-profile coverage on ITV1, Ben Edwards believes the Masters is a must-see event. Edwards remarked: “People will have to tune in for this race and find out who is the ultimate Master. It’s going to be harder for the TV director than the commentators. The director is going to have a headache trying to work out where to look next.

“I’m particularly looking forwards to seeing Gabriele Tarquini race again – he was always an exceptional driver, I thought – but just to be able to talk about this race will be an absolute joy.”

The BTCC Masters will start straight after the final round of this year’s Green Flag BTCC at 17.40 and go out live on Motors TV – satellite channel 413 – to 14 different countries, plus French-speaking parts of Africa, the Caribbean and the South Pacific. It will also be the focus of the Speed Sunday programme on ITV1, Sunday 3 October.

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2004 at 11:56
Half price tickets here http://www.crash.net/btcctickets
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2004 at 16:11
Few convoys comming in, biggest is MG with over 80 Cars !
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2004 at 16:30
Wish I could be there and get Johnny to provide a "real" sig on my Cecotto..sadly I can't

I will be there the next day letting the car do what it does best on the track.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2004 at 16:12
Got Johnny`s sig but on program !  was fantastic atmosphere for masters race, bit of errr coniving bringing out Safety car for wrong type of leaves on track ! Unfortunately Johnny got punted off at redgate      lot had left but still stationary in car park for over 1/2 Hr, anyone see race on TV ?
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2004 at 16:50
Yeah, saw the race, looked good. Most drivers seemed to be on their best behaviours... It was all smiles at the end.

I was amazed to see Johnny there! So many great names, Frank Biela for example - wins at Le Mans but still turns out for this!

There were a couple of nasty shunts tho, Johnny managed to get knocked off approaching the second showing of the safety car!

James
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2004 at 13:13

Was Good as they did an autograph session after the Grid Draw, they spent a lot of time talking to everyone, lot of people were amazed at what they had achieved, Patric Watts chattering away non stop !

Yes was watching at redgate, safety car came out, cars at back came in to fast & took him & tim harvey off

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic