Forum LockedFor our resident "Oilman"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For our resident "Oilman"
    Posted: 28-September-2004 at 13:48

At the risk of boring everybody else, my problem is as follows: -

In my 1989 E34 520i, pots 2,4 and 6 are letting oil in via one of the Valves.  I have come to the conclusion that it is Valves not Rings because the plugs are fouled-up on one side only.  If it was the rings, I would expect a more even fouling.

To mend the problem is a “Head off” situation, which will cost me more than I paid for the car…..I am happy to clean the plugs and replace them every 3 months.

The plug fouling is the classic “Brown and crusty, with traces of black and wet”.

I have tried Wynns stop leak, to see if the neoprene seals needed cheering up – to no avail.

I have been trying a thicker oil (20w50) to see if that slowed down the oil leakage.  Apparently to no avail.

So, what if I try a very thin oil, say 0w50.  My reasoning here is that the thinner stuff may have more chance of burning off.  Good plan bad plan?  What other tips could you think of, just to reduce the problem.

Tanks in advance.

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
1988 320i Coupe (E30) Gone
1995 520 Estate (E34) (Wife)
1992 320i SE OBC (E36) (Wife) Gone
1988 320i Saloon (E30) (Wife) Gone
Sponsored Links

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2004 at 14:53

-thin oil? Hmmm possibly a bad plan.... In a worn engine (I'm guessing you've got a few miles on it) the clearances will be large and you may lose oil pressure if the pump can't keep up.

-however, a better quality oil might well burn better and produce less deposit.

-your reasoning re. valves vs rings may be flawed in that the plug isn't central in the combustion chamber, and will run hotter one side than the other anyway (check out the deposits on the top of the piston by looking through the plug hole- they'll be way less on the edge of the piston in the squish zone, and this pattern will be mirrored on the underside of the head, as it will on anything that pokes into the combustion chamber).

-I find it curious that it is 2, 4, 6 that are afflicted. This might be related to the fact that these cylinders fire in sequence (1-5-3-6-2-4). It may be (for example) that you have something very odd like a cracked ring on one cylinder, and that the burst of crankcase pressure coincides with the best time to force oil into 6,2,4 but not 1,5,3 so much. Anyone seen this before? I actually think this is incredibly unlikely and that the fault lies elsewhere- see below.

- Before doing anything else do check out the whole ignition system; if this isn't right the plugs may well foul more than they would normally. Your 'black and wet' is actually entirely symptomatic of a misfire, and this might well be completely unrelated to any oil consumption (although bad fouling will cause a misfire, it is very chicken and egg-ish, this one). Once there is any kind of misfire, the plugs will foul up/have more deposits as they won't be hot enough to be in the 'self-cleaning' range. Again a 6,2,4, fault might be symptomatic of the distributor cap/leads being faulty on one side only and thus causing a selective misfire/fouling on these cylinders only.

HTH

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2004 at 15:04

Thanks for fast response!

Great minds.....

I too find it very odd and too much of a coincidence that it's only those three pots.  The other three are perfect by the way.

Because of the odd selection of pots, and the fact that leads 2,4,6 are on the same side of the Dizzy cap, I changed the leads, the Cap and the Rotor arm...months ago. So I've now ruled that out......but, what else could cause a mis-fire?  How can this be checked? (Note 1)

The tickover does sound a little ropey, but I was putting that down to age/mileage.  It was awful on tick-over until 3 weeks ago when I drowned the ICV in carb cleaner.

Mileage...just this week passed the 150K.  Oil pressure light flickers on tick-over, but hardly noticeable in daylight.  Oil light goes away as soon as revs are given.

(Note 1.)  If that answer is a main dealer/ decent garage check-up....who in South Wales does the collective rekmend?

I am suddenly growing confident that we (You team) can bottom this!!

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2004 at 15:46

Perhaps look at what oil the Mazda rotary engines use. They burn oil as part of their every day running to keep the rotor side and tip seals lubricated so are specified with oil which burns cleanly.

Might be worth a go!

If anyone like old cars with big BMW engines, take a look at www.gt6.org.uk
sign the guestbook, you know it makes sense!
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2004 at 16:33

Yep, cheers.

My mind is now bent on the fact that it is a timing / ignition problem.  But I will check the Mazda RX8 oil out.  BTW, it's a 1100cc engine, that gives WORSE mpg than my old 520i.  !!!!!!!!

More info on my car, mpg is still as per handbook, the coil is old...but if that was iffy, then all 6 pots would give an iffy bang, not just my problematic 3. Yes/ no?

The pulse sensor (As I call it) is on lead 6.  That correct...or does it make no difference?

Paul DH
1989 520i (E34) Gone
GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2004 at 03:21

Think it's a 1308cc engine, and it's also a lot more powerful than the 520i

Might be better looking at oil for any of the RX7s as the RX8 is subject to tighter emissions regs so they might not introduce oil into the inlet air on that one.

oilman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2004 at 09:55

Ok, here comes the surprise, I own an RX8 as my daily driver (ex BMW man) and the recommended oil is a semi-synthetic Ford spec 5w-30.

The reasons for this are simple:

The engine burns oil like hell (1 litre per 1000 miles)

The engine is very uncomplicated

5w-30 is a good "all year round oil"

The oil is in the engine for such a short space of time that it doesn't have time to thermally breakdown!

The fact of the matter is that you could try something thinner, say a decent 5w-40 and see if it works but I'm no mechanic so I'm unsure if your problems are terminal or not.

Cheers

Simon

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2004 at 16:29

Ta Oilman.

I'm due for an Oil Purchase this Satdee, I'll get a 5w.

GT6M3....The "Power" of the Mazda.  Are you talking power as in pure torque or just "Goes like a scalded cat"?

Paul DH
1989 520i (E34) Gone
GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 03:24

Actually practically no torque at all, but a nice high power figure, around about 200bhp for the low model and 240 for the high if memory serves :)

Think they still get less than 20mpg though!

pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 04:25
My cousin just bought one of these - the 187bhp model. He took me for a ride in it and I was rather impressed by the car as a whole, but after stepping out of my M3 it felt a bit sluggish. Also amazed by the apparent total lack of torque - very smooth though, almost to the point of bland. I was shocked when he said he is getting approx 18-22mpg in normal driving! Even I can better that - just!
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 05:15
Originally posted by GT6-M3 GT6-M3 wrote:

Actually practically no torque at all, but a nice high power figure, around about 200bhp for the low model and 240 for the high if memory serves :)

You're right, I have the "high" power model and my MPG's are between 18 and 24.

There have been many discussions on "torque", all I can say is test drive one, they are great fun if you use the gears and the revs properly. It also handles extremely well.

Would I buy a 300bhp on? Yes please!

Cheers

Simon

GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2004 at 08:47
Originally posted by oilman oilman wrote:

Originally posted by GT6-M3 GT6-M3 wrote:

You're right, I have the "high" power model and my MPG's are between 18 and 24.

There have been many discussions on "torque", all I can say is test drive one, they are great fun if you use the gears and the revs properly. It also handles extremely well.

Would I buy a 300bhp on? Yes please!

Cheers

Simon

HA! I made the error of expressing interest in one before they were launched and I now get phone calls every 6 weeks asking if I want to take one out for a spin!

I've resisted thus far as I know I'll love it and then I'll end up buying one :(

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2004 at 08:28

ermmmm

That's what happened to me, test drove it and was addicted.

The sound of the buzzer at 9500 rpm is like a drug!

Cheers, Simon

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2004 at 06:25
Originally posted by Old shape! Old shape! wrote:

Thanks for fast response!

Great minds.....

I too find it very odd and too much of a coincidence that it's only those three pots.  The other three are perfect by the way.

Because of the odd selection of pots, and the fact that leads 2,4,6 are on the same side of the Dizzy cap, I changed the leads, the Cap and the Rotor arm...months ago. So I've now ruled that out......but, what else could cause a mis-fire?  How can this be checked? (Note 1)

The tickover does sound a little ropey, but I was putting that down to age/mileage.  It was awful on tick-over until 3 weeks ago when I drowned the ICV in carb cleaner.

Mileage...just this week passed the 150K.  Oil pressure light flickers on tick-over, but hardly noticeable in daylight.  Oil light goes away as soon as revs are given.

(Note 1.)  If that answer is a main dealer/ decent garage check-up....who in South Wales does the collective rekmend?

I am suddenly growing confident that we (You team) can bottom this!!

Paul DH
1989 520i (E34) Gone
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2004 at 06:33

I am still trying to bottom this fault.

Fellow car nut here at work also thinks this is an ignition / timing problem as opposed to a Cylinder/valve guide leak of oil.

He asked if there was two Fuel rails - one feeding pots 1-5-3 and one feeding 6-2-4.  Is there?

What else is/could be specifically related to pots 6-2-4?

Would a new ignition chip in the ECU do any good?  If so, what is the exact part description/number?

Throttle body - as my ICV was gummed up, it follows that the interior of the throttle body will be too.  I can only get at the side where the large intake pipe is - and obviously a bit of the inside with the butterfly open.  I want to remove the T.Body and give it a good squirt with carb cleaner - but the Haynes (Joke book) suggests that I have to remove the water hoses from the throttle body.  I can't see any such, nor do I understand why there should be such???  What are they talking about?  Is removing the T.Body as simple as the 4 nuts (Plus the associtated Air-lines and Elec. Connections)?

Looking forward to responses.

Paul DH
1989 520i (E34) Gone
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2004 at 14:27

there should only be one fuel rail for all the cylinders, never seen anything else on a straight six....

I don't think there are any other common parts other than the ignition parts to 2,4,6. Are the valves set OK?

I would check the compression figures as a matter of course if you have not done it already.

I know you have checked the ignition system out and replaced a lot of parts, but are you absolutely sure that the new dizzy cap is correctly fitted? If it is the way I recall, it is a fiddly job to get the cap on in the right place, and several people have reported that they have been unlucky enough to have cracked them when fitting them. If it wasn't sitting down right you might be asking the spark to jump a prodigous distance on one side of the cap only and this might cause a misfire on sequentially firing cylinders.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2004 at 05:39
Originally posted by Old shape! Old shape! wrote:

I want to remove the T.Body and give it a good squirt with carb cleaner - but the Haynes (Joke book) suggests that I have to remove the water hoses from the throttle body.  I can't see any such, nor do I understand why there should be such???  What are they talking about?  Is removing the T.Body as simple as the 4 nuts (Plus the associtated Air-lines and Elec. Connections)?

Looking forward to responses.

The throttle body on my engine has cooling water running through it. I didn't realise until I tried to remove one of the hoses. Doh!

I managed to remove my throttle body and clean it without disconnecting these two water hoses.

No idea why the throttle body has cooling water running through it. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2004 at 08:40
It's water heating, not cooling.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 17:24

Back to the oil in cylinder problem.

I had a long chat with a BMW mechanic (Retired - so knows a bit more than todays "Plug it in and see what the computer says") mechanics.  He suggested the only thing to do to cheer up the car, and prevent me scraping and wire-brushing plugs on a weekly basis was to put hotter plugs in the cylinders affected.  After a few weeks delay (Waiting for NGK to find a source in the UK that had some of the correct type) I telephoned Champion Technical, their hotter version of the N9Yc is the N12Yc.  They have been in the car since Friday 19th Nov. and since then I've clocked up 510 miles.  The plugs are fouled up, but nowhere near as bad as they would have been with N9Yc's.  After 500 miles with 9's, I would be starting to misfire as the gap was breached with crusty-brown unburnt oil!  So, I am beginning to succeed.

Nowthen, I may try an even hotter plug to see if the whole of the depositing oil can be burnt off.  Has anybody seen a Hotter (With Champion it's a higher number) plug than a 12 in the shops?

Do we have a resident Spark plug expert as well as an oil expert?

Paul DH
1989 520i (E34) Gone
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 15:36

Hi Old shape,

I think that you may well have a serious engine fault when all is said and done. I find it hard to believe that your car passes an MOT emissions check if it is fouling its plugs like that....

I can see where you are going with the 'soft plug' approach, but it would worry me. If your engine were in reasonable shape and you drove it hard, your N12YC plugs could overheat and turn into glow-plugs, causing serious engine damage.

I don't think Champion don't make a softer plug than a '12' heat rating for this type of fitting. They make grade '15' and '17' plugs in other applications, but not 'N' type.

If you look on http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk (no connection whatsoever, never used them myself BTW)

you will find a whole load of currently available plugs listed. Incidentally, they sell N9YCs so cheaply I wouldn't bother with the cleaning if I were you; they are just a quid each if you buy 50.....

The Champion N12YC  is roughly equivalent to an NGK BP4ES;this one isn't listed by them, but the NGK BP2ES is listed; this should be roughly equivalent to a Champion '15' rating, should fit OK.

They also list the BCP4E-11. The latter will require a different plug spanner, and the plug caps may not fit properly (possible ferrule type and insulator diameter problems).

In my car service data book it recommends a completely different plug for june '88 on 520i applications; it recommends a Bosch W8LCR plug with a 0.7mm gap. This is a long-reach plug, and will run a little hotter than a 'normal' Bosch #8 plug. It also contains a 'burn-off resistor'. This could be important. If this 'burn-off' resistor is actually required (and it may not be for all applications of the W8LCR plug) then you need to stick with this type of plug. Check with BMW to confirm this.

Haynes on the other hand suggest the N9YCC, gapped to 0.8mm. Yer pays yer money.....

If your real problem is a misfire, have you tried setting a bigger plug gap? On a normal service interval the plugs would wear to about 1.0mm if leaded fuel is used, and this does not normally cause a misfire. Yours won't wear that much....(before you have to clean them again....) so why not try setting a 0.9 to 1.0mm gap? This will either improve matters, or reveal an underlying problem with your ignition system.

HTH

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic