Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExpensive Respray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expensive Respray
    Posted: 29-September-2004 at 10:10

I would be most greatful if anyone on the forum could recommend a reputable and reasonable bodyshop for the purpose of respraying my 5 series (52 plate). Someone recently found it necessary to take a key to every panel on the car when parked outside my home - and having spoken to BMW directly the cost is extortionate to respray (as you might imagine).

I'm looking for a bodyshop in the Bracknell / Fleet / M3 corridoor area that might be a little more reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2004 at 10:18

Sorry JD

I can only recommend an excellent Body shop near Glasgow.  Surely the matter is in the hands of your insurance company?  Let them find a dealer/coachworks.

You are not to blame so it shouldn't affect your no claims bonus or am I wrong on that one unless you have protected no claims.  I have a vandalism bit added into my policy so I have a different excess from accident excess.

Or are you trying to do it yourself and not bother with your insurance company?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
JDbmw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2004 at 10:26

Thanks Andrew - my insurer has informed me that if I wish to make a claim for vandalism my policy will be effected - the loss of 5 years no claims, an excess and a record of the claim boosting the cost of the premium further. Good old insurance companies!

As such - if I can cover the cost myself - I would prefer it - but I would only consider paying up to 1K before I will be forced to get the insurer involved. I'm hoping some panels can have the scratches polished out without respray, although most scratches are quite deep.

Anyone recommend?

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2004 at 10:54

Not so good.

Not your fault but the insurance company makes out it is.

Hmm nice people that they are.

My thinking is that I was going to say its about £600 to respray 1 panel, £1k to respray one side but you say that you need all panels. 

God help you to get a quote for all panels under £1k.

Catch the person responsible and give them a good hiding at least it will make you feel better.

Being new to Beamers someone told me that some nasty folk out there have a tendency to do that to BMW's just cos they don't have one!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
GrahamP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2004 at 11:56

I sympathise with you, JD.

I don't know how many panels you are hoping to polish out but I'd be surprised if you can get the respraying done to a good standard for £1k.

My view is that you get what you pay for and I'd be worried about how good the respray would be on a cheap job, especially on 52 plate.

I think I'd resign myself to losing the no claims bonus and let the insurance company worry about the cost and the quality.  There should then be no question of the quality of the respray not being good enough.

Then when it's done consider changing your insurance company.

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2004 at 15:18
hi jd i would also go with my insurance company and lose the ncb to lose all your ncb is abit rich i;ve not known of that before.but £1,000 i feel is a very long way off the mark for a good paint job "sorry"
BMWE34sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2004 at 03:58
If you have 5 years NCD then can't you protect it ??  Then you can make a claim ( limited times ) and still have your NCD in tact ...I thought with most insurers you must have a minimum of 4 years NCD then you can protect it (certainly my insurance company do that ) .  If your insurance company hasn't got on record of you informing them about the damaged then see if you can protect your NCD ( think it might cost a little ) then wait a few weeks , then phone them and say that the car has been damaged

Edited by BMWE34sport
1991 525 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic