Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 or 320iS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 M3 or 320iS
    Posted: 10-March-2003 at 23:01

My E36 3.0 M3 has just been written off and i wanna get an E30 M3 or 320iS. I wanna go back to and E30 coz i like em

Ive seen loads of M3's at around £5k~£7k, are they worth it at this price or will they just cost me a shed load of money to put straight etc.

ive only seen a couple of 320iS's for sale (italian import, 2L, 16v, 195BHP ) has anyone got one? what are they like etc...?

any info would be greatfully appriciated

Sponsored Links

Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2003 at 23:12

Think of it as a 325i Sport in terms of having the M-Tech suspension and Sport spoilers I think, along with a 192bhp S14 engine and dogleg gearbox.  Better handling than a 325 due to better weight distribution thanks to that 4cyl engine.  I hear the 2litre S14 is a sweeter engine than the 2.3 and he max bhp is at higher RPM`s (6900rpm as opposed to 6800rpm for the M3).

From what I have seen they seem to sell at around similar prices as M3`s.

nrg! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2003 at 23:20

cadlon!

I am disappointed that you want to leave the e36 brigade. Ive only just joined here and ive seen your input quite a lot! Id say as a fan of any M, it has to be the e30 m3. For me its the racecar that won things not just a warmed over e30. The 320is doesnt have the bodywork or nostalgia. I imagine would be harder to sell on too as many people dont know what it is. Mine is only a personal opinion, (so pinch of salt appreciated!). Call it snobbish but pride in the name and all that!!

No doubt will see a pic soon of whatever you get???

Andy!                                                                                                

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2003 at 08:40

They are worth it if the right bills for the mileage have been paid already! Have just done a big splurge on the other E30 M3 buying thread and I'msure other will join in with more...

It's all in the condition, driving experience and service history! Am gonna name drop again but there are honest vendors out there - Nigel Moseley for example has always done well for me.

Also the non evo cars seem to be very good value at the moment!

CharlesEH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 14:35

After a bit of a hiatus in my M3 search due to uncertainties over my job I'm looking again. I've seen several 320is on the market, and would be interested - if only because the body styling is more descrete.

I understand from Darren's posting above that a 320iS doesn't share the M3's suspension and brakes.

How does that effect the way they drive? And are running costs similar to those for an M3?

Cheers,

Charles

m3geezer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 20:44
if anyone is after a good e30 m3, colin from unity media has a silver k 'reg for sale that is really nice, i have only seen the car briefly when he picked it up a couple of months ago, i think he has moved on to other cars since, i believe the car is famous within the club and i don't think he wants stupid money for it, maybe johnw can give us some more details, if someone is really interested then i think bexley motor works have the details as well (0208 304 9797)
RichB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 21:24

The 320iS had 325i style bodykit, M-Sport suspension and shared the handling fo the M3.  They are cheaper (relatively)  to maintain than the M3 too. 192bhp on a four potter and you can't go far wrong!

Personally, I favour the 320iS for those reasons.  If you want a good one, then ther's less of a chance of the 320iS having been thrashed around on a track day too.  (Sorry guys, it's true though eh?).

And they cost about the same, but at the end of the day, it's your choice.  M3 or Q-car!

Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2003 at 22:14

I don`t think it has the handling of an M3, more like a 318iS which also has the M-tech suspension. It doesn`t have the M3 suspension trick bits I don`t think . Will have a nicer ride than the M3 but have more bodyroll.

A very fine car.

RichB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2003 at 18:35
Darren - you're right.  Steering is as per the M3, but suspension is more like the 318iS.  No bad thing mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic