FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedZ3 Alloy size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z3 Alloy size
    Posted: 01-November-2004 at 07:24
A friend in work has a Z3 2.0 year 2000 the wheels have corroded and BMW not to happy to pay the full price of replacement. They told her they cost £1300 +VAT she then went to the parts dept they said costs would be £1100 + VAT and has she got the corect wheels as they should be wider at the rear? Have not seen the wheels but she discribes them similar to the BBS on my 1990 325 sport plus imitation bolts ala split rims. So the question is what should the width of the wheels be and was ther a problem with them becoming corroded????

Ron Parish
(E30 Register Chairman)
Sponsored Links

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2004 at 09:09

Are they like mine? I have the BBS split rim alloys with the outer being polished alloy and they are real bolts. These wheels do corrode easily as it is difficult to get paint to stick to polished surfaces - they are 'high maintenance' and need care (cleaning/waxing) as they will corrode quickly - The Z3 is nearly 5 years old, so I'm suprised BMW will pay anything.

I have seen my wheels fitted to Z3s as an option.

Mine are 7.5 J (f) and 8.5 J (r). I have refurbed mine aswell. If she was to replace them, I would be interested in buying them. I have 1 missing!

Edited by dave 328

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Z3_Tony View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2004 at 00:52

The wheels you refer to were standard on the 2.0 Z3 rather than an option, some other models have them too, 2.2 and 3.0. They were usually 7.5 inch front, 8.5 inch rear. I believe they are type 42, but could be wrong. They do come up on Ebay from time to time, one of the guys on Zroadster has one he wants to get rid of, for free, before he dumps it.

Ron have a look at www.zroadster.net the following topic has some close up pictures of the type 42 wheels http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3416&high light=type+42

Unfortunately this set has now been sold but other sets do come up from time to time, at around £500.

Committee member South East Region.
Z Register Events organiser
325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2004 at 14:58

Thanks Guys.

Dave will keep you in mind re the old wheels, the dealer said they would have to keep them to test for the corrosion!! I told her to say they dont need to as they know they are prone to corrosion.

And thanks Tony the pics show the wheels as on her car.

Ron
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 09:38

Originally posted by 325i Ron 325i Ron wrote:

Thanks Guys.

Dave will keep you in mind re the old wheels, the dealer said they would have to keep them to test for the corrosion!! I told her to say they dont need to as they know they are prone to corrosion. 

Ron

More like keep them and sell them on!!

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
gordon530 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 09:48

This is a useful llink.  Might help identify the OEM sizes etc..

http://www.kalach.easynet.be/bmw_wheels.htm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic