Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chippeduk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ECU Tech

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 18:39

Hmmm, now for the proper answer.

The ported throttle body will give you far greater pulling power throughout the rev range and it is noticable.

The chip is also VERY noticable, (ask forum mod nigel, i did his)

Porting the head is worth 2-4hp (if you manage to make power)

I had a 3 grand head on my car and trust me, there are little gains in the head porting, in 1991 CCC gave an M20 head to Dave Vizzard and in 2 weeks of extensive work he got 2hp !!!

The m20 and m30 heads are very good standard.

Now for the afm.

Yes, get rid of this and fit a map and you will be happy, this needs aftermarket ecu like emerald, vtech, etc etc.

Throttle boddies like dbillas are good but cost 1800 quid and will make many problems setting them up.

Get throttle body, chip and decent air filter and you wont regret it. 

Sponsored Links

GT6-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 18:27

I'd say that air filters and big bore TBs are only gonna increase top end power, if they do anything at all.

If your ol' man's got some cash, you'd most probably be better off getting someone who knows the engine to port and polish the head (by which I don't mean spend 5 mins with a flap wheel).

Then, a big restiction to the power of these and similar engines is the AFM, the removal of which means an ECU which is mapped on engine speed and load alone.

Next, look at decent tubular exhaust manifolds paying particular attention to what each one will give you, 6-3-1 manifolds yield different results to 6-2-1's.

If you can wait untill April next year, I'll be experimenting with a properly gas flowed head, and Emerald ECU and direct to head throttle bodies to see what improvements they bring.

There is no cheap way to bring about a decent gain. 7 or 8 bhp is worth practically nothing in real terms, especially if it moves power up the rev range. You'd be better off making the car lighter if anything. Around 100kg in weight loss is roughly equivelant to gaining 80bhp in terms of acceleration!

Actually, I guess that last bit is cheap :)

Ye pays yer money.......

If anyone like old cars with big BMW engines, take a look at www.gt6.org.uk
sign the guestbook, you know it makes sense!
alpina527 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 16:56
I can supply a big bore throttle body for £120 exchange. They work very well with the Viper2 chip.
chippeduk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ECU Tech

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2004 at 16:51

I am the supplier of Viper2 chips PROVEN to give the best results on the 325i (as well as other models)

On the rolling road days the Viper2 always comes top.

07815-501867

daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2004 at 20:17

due to financially trying times , i have had pass the ownership of my cab over to my old man . now its not quite as upsetting as it could be as he's got the money to spend on it and will get it finished .

back on topic ,,  he wants to give it a bit more grunt once he/we sort the suspension out (horrible understeer oversteer type of feeling) . i wont be doing any major mechanical mods for him as he just wants a little bit more ooomph . it allready takes out stage 1 rs turbo's but it still feels slow to me

i was just wondering who has modded their 2.5s and what sort of power output they have acheived ? i allready fitted scorpion stainless and filter . it has the 325 motorsport lump in it and im not sure if theres any difference at all from normall 2.5s?? 

tbh i got bored with it lacking in the power department so i look forward to trying to get it quicker with someone elses money .

opinions experiences welcome

taa muchly

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)