Forum Locked328 Nikasil problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 328 Nikasil problem
    Posted: 06-November-2004 at 16:11

Yep, looks like my car has started on the symptoms

It's had a couple of instances of poor cold start. The idle (warm or cold) can be a little wavy (approx every third time i come to idle) and the oil consumption is about 2L in 1500miles

The car has full BMW service history & warrenty up to the last service (done at an Indy in Cheltenham) and is currently on just under 80k miles. I'm going to write to BMW GB and beg beg beg i think and see if it gets me anywhere. Failing that run the car till next bonfire night...

I am going to get a proper leakdown test doen just to confrim, but i'm 99.99% sure i'm a gonner. Really annoyed as well because the car displayed no symptoms for the first month or so that i had it. Just seems my luck with cars continues.

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2004 at 16:16

Matt

Don't despair just yet.  Get a BMW dealer to do the leakdown test and push them a bit about it if it fails as you expect.

One of the guys on this side had his engine replaced by a dealer in the north of ireland a few weeks back (97 320i with 100k and fsh).  The car was sold and serviced in south and the northern dealer had no hesitation in submitting a claim.  It seems like there was no real fight from BMW to deny the claim, even though it had never been sold or serviced via a BMW GB dealer.

Find a sympathetic dealer and there is a good chance you'll get at least a decent goodwill gesture.  In our mans case, he paid for the spark plugs I think.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Hans Freikit View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2004 at 04:33

Matt,

Just to offer another glimmer of hope, my 328 had a new block at about 70k miles (which occurred about a month after I bought it). BMW GB were very very helpful, and I only had to pay for the initial compression test, and then the consumables used during the swap.

There's a link to a Nikasil FAQ somewhere on this forum: well worth a read, especially the bit that describes how to approach BMW.

HF

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2004 at 04:40
aformentioned Nikasil FAQ link:- Nikasil Issue
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Leesy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2004 at 06:50
Yep, to re-iterate, don't dispair. I had my block changes at 98k - only paid for consumables (oil and coolant). Make sure you go thru a dealer though and get them to submit the info to BMW GB.
E46 325 Sport Saloon
MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2004 at 15:18

Thanks for your help guys. Need to pick a BMW dealer for the test next. Not sure if i shoudl use Dick LOvetts in Swindon as they took half an hour of rinign people in the dealership to come up with 'oh yeah that engine can have bore wear or something'. The word 'nikasil' drew blank looks from everyone! They also tried to rip me off for £600 on Inspection 2!

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
Leesy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2004 at 04:33
Best not to mention the dreaded word Nikasil! Act dumb and you'll find the dealers a bit more helpful.
E46 325 Sport Saloon
Mac View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2004 at 05:45

Hi Matt,

I've had the Nikasil problem recently, Dergside mentioned my story above. I had been taking my car back to the supplying dealer for months and they were doing nothing but fobbing me off. I tried a dealer in Northern Ireland and after it failed a compression test, they called me the following day to say that BMW would cover the costs.

The only charge was for a set of plugs. The dealer was very helpful, and there was no grief from BMW GB either.

It might be an idea to have a look on the Forum for a dealer that's near you that has sorted out Nikasil problems in the past.

I hope you get it sorted, I was in your shoes two months ago, but it was all sorted out in a matter of days. Best of luck with it.

Mac

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2004 at 05:50
actually - mac - did you get yourself a new M52 single vanos or double vanos (M52TU) in the end?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Mac View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2004 at 07:48

Hi Killian,

Not trying to sound like an idiot, but I don't know. Is there a way of telling?

Mac

EIL132 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2004 at 17:48
Surely when this Nakasil problem occurs the car will smoke heavily? If cylinder bores are worn the car should be passing oil, so it will be obvious
MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2004 at 17:54
Apprently seeing smoke is very rare! Odd puff of black soot can apprently be seen, and collects on the back of the car.
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
Hans Freikit View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 04:26

I never saw any smoke on mine: even the idle door shake didn't show up.

Most obvious symptoms on mine were a nasty smell from the exhaust after some enthusiastic driving, and the fact that I was putting a litre of oil in every five days.  She's a much happier baby now...

HF

Mac View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 05:34

Ì would agree with the above comments regarding smoke. The only symptom I had was excessive oil consumption.

The BMW dealer where I bought the car thought I was insane when I suggested that a BMW might have a manufacturing fault. They wanted an oil consumption test carried out over 3000 miles. The first thousand used 1.2 L, the second thousand 1.5L and 3L over the last 1200 miles.

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 08:30

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

actually - mac - did you get yourself a new M52 single vanos or double vanos (M52TU) in the end?

Killian, I'd guess that the M52tu would require loom changes, etc. to run on an M52 car (for the extra gadgetry around the 2nd vanos, etc.).  I doubt BMW would have done more than necessary since they were footing the bill.  Wouldn't be too surprised if they re-used some of the original ancilliaries as well.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Mac View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 08:44

I'd agree with Dergside, it looks the same as before from the top but there are shiney new parts down below..

Driving well, MPG getting a bit better all the time, and no oil issues..

Mac

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 14:59
So the suggestion that i go via my local dealer? or shall i go it alone and write to BMW GB directly?
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
Mac View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 15:27

Matt,

The UK Dealers have proceedure to follow if a BMW of a certain age and criteria has a potential Bore wear problem.

A compression test and/or leak down test is performed and if the car fails and if the dealer is up to speed on his technical know how, he should know what to do. BTW, make sure the engine is cold going in, as I've noticed that the Nikasil symptoms seem to improve once the engine is warmed up. Then near normal compression is restored and you have a service manager telling you "There's nothing wrong with it sir, now please go away.."

I'd say to go with the dealer on this, BMW GB are still carrying out replacements but they're unlikely to do it for just about anyone who rings up and complains about oil consumption.  Even if you do approach them, the first thing they'll advise is to have the tests carried out by one of thier Dealers. I spoke to them when I was unsuccessful with my dealer but they said that they could do nothing until a dealer submitted a request for a goodwill gesture. (Sorry to rain on your parade....)

Hope this helps,

Mac

Edited by Mac
MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 17:20
Start kissing up to the local dealer it is then!
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
EIL132 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2004 at 17:51
Originally posted by Mac Mac wrote:

Ì would agree with the above comments regarding smoke. The only symptom I had was excessive oil consumption.

The BMW dealer where I bought the car thought I was insane when I suggested that a BMW might have a manufacturing fault. They wanted an oil consumption test carried out over 3000 miles. The first thousand used 1.2 L, the second thousand 1.5L and 3L over the last 1200 miles.

If the car is using that much oil because of blow through, then it burns. No matter what kind of car, it burns with the petrol in the cylinders therefore causing smoke.  I still don't understand how it can be that bad and not have some form of symptom that every other vehicle does when it has worn bores/rings

Edited by EIL132
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic