Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW getting nervous about Rover??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 13:09
My only experience of driving a Rover was a dismal 416i loaner I got from my BMW dealer a few years ago. I can honestly say that I found it entirely hateful: horrid, flimsy and nasty; lame and underpowered and awful to drive. I could not wait to give it back, and declined further offers of loan cars from that dealer until the Rover selloff.

Before I drove it, I sort of wished Rover well. After I drove it, I could understand why people mocked them.

Having said all that, while I agree with the sentiments expressed by the local head of BMW, I think it was very out of place for him to make those comments and I wish he hadn't. I bet he wishes he hadn't, too! I don't think that Rover will ever have the kind of image that BMW have, you can't really go after the "mass market" and retain exclusivity. Ipse dixit.
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 12:46

Good Post Dergside . Something else that hasnt been commented on, The chinese with their intentions to take over the World, Get a large MGR European Base, and Dealer network, + the knowhow to run it.They dont have this, so while they learn, they Can grow. BUT---

Will be interesting, reports of their contracts with other European  companies, which after investments, they decide NOT to pay any/minimal returns on and interprit agreements only to their benifit.  

SAFETYFAST
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 12:03

looks a bit like an Audi dont you think? Looks nice for a Rover.. does it come with an ashtray pipe stand, and varifocal windscreen?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Jimbo540i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 11:54

In my local paper there was a picture of a 75 coupe, I read quite a bit of auto journels and I'd never seen it before.  Thought I'd post that because it looks pretty good.  Also buddy of mine has a ZS180 and it is as somebody said above a lot of car for the money...

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/mg-rover-7 5-coupe.htm

Edited by Jimbo540i
Jimbo
540i Auto
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 07:45

My previous car was a Rover coupe turbo and it wasn't shy!! Can't say that quality was a issue, nothing fell apart, never broke down and was still going strong at 100K miles after 5 year years of ownership!!

Parents have a 75 and 400, the 75 is a better car as it is more modern. The 400 has done 150K miles with no problems, even still on the original clutch!!! I've had to change the suspension on my 328 at 60 K miles as it was ready for dropping apart, never seen so much play in a ball joint!! Other items on the BM have had to be changed due to fault or wear which the Rover hasn't had to worry about!!

I'm not slating BMW its all part of car ownership, but I think Rover do not deserve the bad press on quality or pipe and slipper image - Can't see a Grandad in my turbocharged 200bhp car!!!

Rover is the only sole British owned mass car producer left in the UK!

The 75 is 5th in the JD power survey for customer satisfaction!

The 75 was wholly designed by Rover and BMW putting their input at the end - thus BMW suspension and diesel engine. This is why some say the 75 well the sports version the ZT is better on track as the torsional rigity is stronger than the BMW. I've driven the whole MG range at Rockingham circuit and must say that the ZS is great on track and even the 1400KG ZT!!

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 06:16

I'd like to see Rover survive and thrive, but the thing holding it back is not the technology, they've been starved of cash for the past few years and couldn't hope to keep up in that regard, but their ability as an organization to change and respond to the changes in the industry and the marketplace.

If you compare them to even other UK manufacturer locations such as Toyota in Derby, Nissan in Sunderland or Honda in Swindon, they don't have the labour, organization or manufacturing flexibility or structural efficiency of the others. 

They've had to get into a vicious circle of cutting prices (discounting and adding equipment and the farce of the CityRover) to make sales without being able to generate compensating savings elsewhere and so their profitability has suffered.  The main cost cutting has been to reduce R&D and so the vicious circle continues as the products get harder to justify in comparison with the alternatives. 

Structural change and an ability to see it through is what will help them survive and the lack of it is what will drive them to the wall.  Its a huge task.  BAE thought they could do it, BMW were arrogant in thinking that they could just implement the German way overnight, even Honda realized it was easier to build their own factory rather than change the Rover organization (read industrial relation issues) and unless there is a big focus on this in the new "merger" then there is little reason to think it will succeed.  Throwing money at the problem without tackling the underlying problems will only postpone the demise, in which case it would probably be kinder to put it out of its misery sooner rather than later.

As to whether it is a merger or a takeover, this could hardly be considered a combining of equals, given the dire state of finances, technology and outlook at Rover today.  National pride may not like to see it that way, given that it is almost the only British owned manufacturer today (Morgan is the only of of significance now and hardly mainstream), but if you look at this in terms of the consolidation of brands that is happening in the worldwide motor industry, then it is inevitable.

This problem isn't about cars, its about business.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Rob Right View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 10:19

Although mis-reported by many sections of the press as a Chinese take-over, the plan is actually for MG Rover and SAIC to both retain their independence.

A new joint venture company would be set up to develop the new models, split 30/70 in favour of SAIC.  MGR providing the technology, SAIC providing the money.

Should SAIC wish to take control of MGR they would have to refund BMW with the 500 million soft loan provided at the time of the split, hence why a take-over is unlikey in the short term.

Goldryder View Drop Down
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 07:09
The car industry around the world is in crisis, as is most of the heavy transport manufacturing industries.

The price of oil, the stockmarket problems (brought on by events in Iraq)...the list of difficulties is endless.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea to have our car manufacturer 70% owned by a Chinese company, but if it saves jobs, saves the marque and gives us something to work with then who gives a rats behind.

Its not just the car manufacturers who are feeling the pinch and who are having to scale down production, build smaller and more economical - and in all probability less 'attractive' vehicles.

Gone are the days when the market for the top end cars etc was healthy, its a dog eat dog world...and those who are the fittest will in the end, survive.  If survival requires yet another foreign buyout, well let it be and wish them all the very best cos when you are in business, large or small, its damned hard to watch it slide away from under you.  You grab anything and anyone who thinks they have the balls to save you.  This is what the Chinese are doing with Rover.

I give them my blessings and good wishes, jobs will be trimmed, that goes without saying, but it won't be a complete shutdown of Longbridge..which has been a major employer for many many years.

Good luck to them.
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 07:09

Well, this is a bit of a contentious topic!

Well here are my views on the BMW vs Rover debate.

1) The Rover 75 is a nice looking car and when the new MG V8 version gets a bit older and has depreciated a bit It will be a car that I might consider.

2) I would really like to see Rover doing well because they are a British company and If they suceed it is good for employment in this country. Also it will restore a bit of national pride.

3) When it comes to quality neither company can really hold it's head high at the moment. BMW has had some dreadfull issues in recent years (nikasil, Vanos etc etc) and my E36 is not as well built as my prevoius two cars, a Primera and a Civic. I have driven a Friends MG ZS 180 and it's build quality is just shoddy, as it was in his Rover coupe and another friends two Meastros were just woefully put together.

4) As for driving My E36 328 is a lot better to drive than an MG ZS 180 interms of driving position, steering feel and performance. The Meastro was a dreadfull car to drive.

5) If Rover does challenge BMW it will be a good thing and it might just make BMW sort out some of the quality and styling issues that are plagueing them at the moment.

As a final thought the coment that Rovers are c**p just made me think of one thing, Never under estimate the competition. How many loses in both military and comercial situations have been preceded by an arrogant belief that the opposition are so inferior that they don't pose any threat.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 02:52

I would think all manufacturers are taking notice as the projected volumes that MGR/SAIC are talking about as the sales will come from somewhere be it Ford, GM, even DC & yes even BMW, How many of BMW`s customers have one as its the thing to be seen in "at the moment", next year could be Audi, so what will they do ? Follow the other sheep there, yes there are core enthusiasts for all marques but the majority float at the end of a couple of years

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2004 at 02:39
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

the rover 75 is a lot of car for the money

but hey guess what, <whispers> ive been told that its based on the e39

the underpinnings may be, but are bmw really going to shoot themselves in the foot by producing a car which is comparable to their own model in quality for a knockdown price?  i think not

ive seen the vw/seat comparison... vw build quality my butt

Ah, a totally unbiased view, based on the little knowledge is dangerous theory

Most manufacturers are having problems with Quality issues, anyone reading the "M" posts would be put off buying a new one as, it seems, the engines are falling apart, Would you buy a car if the engine failed & manufacturer refused to admit issues ?

FIAT have lost over $500,000,000 so far this year,Mitsubishi are nearly bankrupt, GM & Ford shares are nearly rated as Junk, DC is in bad ways with Smart looking like it will be closed down, VAG are undergoing the 2nd major cost cutting exercise in 2 yrs to increase profit margins. makes MGR`s 70,000,000 loss seem good

Going on the time of the post looks like you are suffering from sleep depravation, or excess loopy juce or something.

If you want to argue about something always make sure you know what you are talking about as you will end up looking more stupid than you appear

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:20

i owned a honda concerto, a rover 216 by any other name...

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:14

yes i have driven one

test drove a 1990 example from a local kerbside motors place in 1995, silver, all the toys you could wish for, leather, air con, cruise, lusty 2.7 engine.. just a shame it was all wrapped up in a boxy old rover 800

driving other rovers their engines were the best part, just let down by the rest of it, and the image (mini cooper excepted)

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:11
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

hello??!?!  a rover 827 sterling!?!?

top of the range, yeah, circa 1990

The Honda 827 Sterling transverse V6 was an extremely good car, only let down by the poor steel used.

If you have driven one and disliked it, fine, but til you have driven one, I don't think anyone can put the car down.  It was well ahead of its time, mine were a 1987 825 Sterling, a 1988 825si, a 1990 827 Sterling and a 1991 827si.  All four were very reliable, very economical, had very high trim specification and were very good value for money.  The engines and gearboxes were faultless.

The transition to BMW engines did not go well, nor did the style changes and that had the knock-on effect of a downturn in sales.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:07

the rover 75 is a lot of car for the money

but hey guess what, <whispers> ive been told that its based on the e39

the underpinnings may be, but are bmw really going to shoot themselves in the foot by producing a car which is comparable to their own model in quality for a knockdown price?  i think not

ive seen the vw/seat comparison... vw build quality my butt

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:04
but you cant compare chalk and cheese

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:04
although i must admit that a traffic cop i know said it was one of the most bulletproof engines theyd had on their fleet

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:03

and even then it was a dated bucket

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 21:02

hello??!?!  a rover 827 sterling!?!?

top of the range, yeah, circa 1990

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2004 at 20:58
The 75 is a fast improving car, had the pleasure of having a run in one of the early models when one of my 827 Sterlings was in for bodywork refurbishment.  The early 75's did have their problems but have now become a very classy car with good all round appeal, not just in respect to cost.

The days of the Maestro and Montego, which when all said and done, were designed purely for the rep market in direct competition to the Cavalier and Sierra, are now well past, Rover learnt some very expensive lessons and afterall, things can't have done so badly cos despite misgivings, BMW did hang onto the company for a fair time after the debarcle with Honda.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic