Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInsurance - Help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insurance - Help!!
    Posted: 22-November-2004 at 15:09

Please can anyone tell me where I can get a cheap deal on my car insurance.

I have a 1998 318 IS Coupe, which had the M-Tech body kit fitted at the time of purchase as an addtional extra. Although I think most insurers see this as a modification.

I'm sure that I can not be the only one who has such a vechicle.

I would be extremely gratfull if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers,

Rich.

Edited by ItalianRich
Sponsored Links

therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 16:46
Try Adrian Flux or HIC. Both are good for "modded" cars...

I am pigeon-holed into most bad insurance groups (except points or bans), and I found both to be good...

HIC 0845 1290290, not sure about Adrian Flux's number.

Goodluck,

James
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 17:12

Try www.confused.com

Or just try www.admiral.com

I would not bother telling them about m-tech kit if it factory fitted

I dont

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
shafman View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2004 at 17:14
 ive tried FIRST QUOTE,was good for the first year,now with EAGLE STAR.you should tell them the body kit was factory fitted,
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 04:10

Adrian Flux 08700 777888. I have just been quoted by them and it was very competetive. Also they don't want anything extra for uprated dampers and shorter stiffer springs.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 05:12

Your car is not modified as it is a sport and comes with alloys and sports kit as standard, this will be included in the premium for the vehicle model.

Try first Alternative £600 FC for me, cheaper than Tesco.

Edited by dave 328

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 06:53
Originally posted by dave 328 dave 328 wrote:

Your car is not modified as it is a sport and comes with alloys and sports kit as standard, this will be included in the premium for the vehicle model.

Although I agree, not all insurance companies see it that way. I was looking at a Mondeo V6 several years ago with the optional RS body kit fitted from the factory. When I tried to get insurance quotes I was told that the vehicle was modified.

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 08:26
But the body kit on a sport isn't optional. If it was you would have a 318i not 's'. The sport model comes with a sport kit and is badged 318is and this is the model which the insurers will choose for the premium.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 08:29
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Although I agree, not all insurance companies see it that way. I was looking at a Mondeo V6 several years ago with the optional RS body kit fitted from the factory. When I tried to get insurance quotes I was told that the vehicle was modified.

How did the insurance company know it had been modified? You must have told them - and there is their chance of getting more money from you!!

Modified = changed from manufacturer's spec, an optional extra is an addition not modification - would you tell them you had air-con and leather seats?

Jimbo540i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 09:58

Difficult one this - If you don't tell them you have air con, leather seats etc then if you car is totalled () then the insurer would only cover a base spec car?  i.e I've insured a BMW 540 SE so my electric sunroof, memory seats etc all cost me more and would make a replacement more expensive than the base spec, but I'm guessing you insurer pays out on the market price for your car, so if you've had extras added oem or aftermarket that the insurer doesn't know about how can you expect them to pay out the cars true value? 

The above is my thoughts rather than experiecne!

Jimbo
540i Auto
kenny View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 10:20
elephant.co.uk seem to give a good deal and dont seem to hammer you for mods.
Alive.........but for how long?

1999 V E46 318se Black with grey leather
Leesy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 11:30
A 318 with full kit and toys would have cost more new than a 318 basic so should be insured for a greater sum in the beginning shouldn't it?. On this basis the premium would be more expensive anyway. Maybe the insurer is telling you that it is a higher premium than a 318 without the mTec body kit because it would cost more to replace such a kit in the event of an accident.
E46 325 Sport Saloon
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 13:23

Originally posted by Leesy Leesy wrote:

A 318 with full kit and toys would have cost more new than a 318 basic so should be insured for a greater sum in the beginning shouldn't it?. On this basis the premium would be more expensive anyway. Maybe the insurer is telling you that it is a higher premium than a 318 without the mTec body kit because it would cost more to replace such a kit in the event of an accident.

Doesn't work like that. It goes of insurance group mainly.

If I bought a brand new coupe sport now it wouldn't be dearer than my current '97 coupe. My parents Rover 75 was £21,000 and my BM was £9,500, but the Rover is £300 cheaper to insure because of the ins. grp.

At the end of the day, if its there from the factory, you don't have to declare any mods, unless its a specially prep'd model, like an Alpina where performance is played with sometimes.

Mines a coupe sport and has an M-tec bodykit and suspension, I didn't declare this to insurers as this is the std spec of my vehicle as it states on my insurance certificate - '328i 2dr coupe sport'.

Same with a 318 sport. If I had changed the bodykit to a custom Max power jobbie, then I would be inclined to tell.

hayesy View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2004 at 17:43
i have a 99318 ISE with body kit and uprated alloys, i got best quote from first alternative (£444) fully comp which i though was good
Leesy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2004 at 04:32

Originally posted by Leesy Leesy wrote:

If I bought a brand new coupe sport now it wouldn't be dearer than my current '97 coupe. My parents Rover 75 was £21,000 and my BM was £9,500, but the Rover is £300 cheaper to insure because of the ins. grp.

At the end of the day, if its there from the factory, you don't have to declare any mods, unless its a specially prep'd model, like an Alpina where performance is played with sometimes.

Mines a coupe sport and has an M-tec bodykit and suspension, I didn't declare this to insurers as this is the std spec of my vehicle as it states on my insurance certificate - '328i 2dr coupe sport'.

Same with a 318 sport. If I had changed the bodykit to a custom Max power jobbie, then I would be inclined to tell.

Fair point mate. The effin insurance companies will stitch us up for more money at any opportunity so I reckon your stance on this is the right way to go.
E46 325 Sport Saloon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2004 at 09:33

The value of the car does have an effect on the premium. After all a £9500 car will only cost the insurance company £9500 (less any excess) in the case of a write off. A £21000 will cost them £21000. It might not has as much of an effect as insurance group but it does make a difference. How do I know? Because I asked them!

BTW everytime you renew your premium make sure they have corrected the quote for your cars current value. After all in the advent of a write off they will only give you the market value of the car even if the cars value has not been changed on the poilicy since you bought it 5 years ago.

Biff View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2004 at 04:02

My 318is costs £340 fully comp protected with Tesco,  give them a go on line and get a quote you also get an extra 5% discount on line too.   And no I dont work for tesco just a tight Geordie who shops around

Biff

Italian M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2004 at 14:26
The E30 318is did NOT come with MTech II as standard!! only 325is and
E30 320is 2 door
E30 318is had its own body kit, it was not even the same as MTech I.

As the rest are saying though if it came fitted from factory dont tell them.
they wouldnt know the difference.
Still fast at 2Ltrs!! Undercover M3!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic