Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 9Jx16 rims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2004 at 15:21
m3cecotto, no offence but I think you are getting a bit carried away on this subject.
I agree that it is no good practice to use the wrong rim size for a tyre, but we are talking of a combination which must have been used for hundred's (or even thousend's)of times. The recommended max rim for the 225 is 8.5" and I have watched the 225 tyre fitted to my own 9" rim like a piece of cake. I have driven that combination with 130mph+ countless of times on german Motorways. German MOT is very strict and they do not approve anything which is not save. Unlike in England you are not allowed just to bolt some rims and tyres to you car, everthing has to be signed off by a MOT station and is written in your car pass.
I agree with you that the 225 is abit narrow for the 9J rim, but it is the best solution at this point in time.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2004 at 16:05
A year or so ago I came across some tyre specs on the Goodyear website, and I found the F1-GSD2 is recommended in size 225*45*16 on a 9inch rim. I think it is more about rim protection - there`s just a bit less of it when using such a combo.
I also tried the Bridgestone something or other on it. Cant remember the name of that tyre now (high performance- ends with a 3 ) and that was fine too but there was a bit more rim exposed than with the GS-D2 Gooyears I used previously.
See pic
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2004 at 16:13

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Tim,
when do you get rid of that green cone thingie?

You think it's A Bad Thing? I do have the original airbox and was in two minds whether to but that back on.

m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2004 at 16:44

m3cecotto, no offence but I think you are getting a bit carried away on this subject.

Absolutely none taken, and I'm certainly not getting carried away, just making the point that because it's fitted by a tuner or even a manufacturer doesn't mean that it's correct.

I still haven't got round to checking, but I suspect that you are correct and the maximum approved rim width for 225 section tyres is 8.5J. I wouldn't like to be claiming a total loss from my insurance company with the wrong size of tyres fitted.

There is also more to matching a rim and tyre than size alone, bead type, size, shape and well size, type and shape are also relevant, though I accept that this applies more o commercial vehicles than passenger car.

I have already said that I'll bow to your knowledge and experience, just pointing out a possible technical problem.

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2004 at 18:04
Originally posted by _Tim_ _Tim_ wrote:

Tim,
when do you get rid of that green cone thingie?

You think it's A Bad Thing? I do have the original airbox and was in two minds whether to but that back on.

What you need is carbon fibre induction.....sweet!

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2004 at 18:09
Looking at Darren's pic, i would have to say they dont look that far from the E36 M3 setup with 235/40 on rear 8.5 x 17 rims, as i'm running....also think the setup look good with the rubber stretched like that. Having said that there is not much protection for the rims.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic