Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW X Power (4x4 BMWs)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedX5 Navigation and Dynamic Routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: X5 Navigation and Dynamic Routing
    Posted: 03-December-2004 at 14:19

Hi Peeps,

Just taken ownership of my new X5. Car is ace, but I'm a bit disappointed with the navigation system.

The current X5 brochure describes its operation as:

"Traffic information received by the radio in the digital mode through the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is automatically taken into account in dynamic route planning, the navigation system even taking route sections with traffic congestion into consideration. Should the route planned be the fastest option despite congestion, the trip computer will opt for that route."

Now that's great as I am based in the UK, do lots of travelling and get stuck in traffic on a regular basis. However, this isn't how the software is behaving. There is no 'dynamic route' option available, and the only avoidance I can use is to avoid the next available incident - if you say yes to that, then it will take you off the motorway immediately, even if the incident is 50 miles away, and re-route, even if it adds an hour onto your journey time and the delay was only a couple of minutes. Great!! 

Anyone come across this? Is it by design? If so then BMW are mis-selling their products, if not then any ideas whats wrong?

I have NAV OS 4-1/30 (V23 I believe) and Road Map Europe high 2004-2.

Thanks  :)
Paul

Sponsored Links

Gryphon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2004 at 15:42

SWMBO has the same system on her 325 Conv, and I have a similar system on my Skoda L&K.  Dynamic routing depends upon what other options you choose (M-way, Toll Road, Fastest/Shortest etc), but the algorithms the kit uses leave a bit to be desired.  Classic FM Tx's the info but it isn't always correct (comes from a third party), and sometimes the flag for the 'problem' is left on after the 'problem' has gone.

We usually get closer to the 'problem' and then let the system divert us if necessary.  It's OK as long as you have a reasonable idea of where the 'problem' really is so you don't run into it before being able to divert!!

eaglesrest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2004 at 06:33

So you can get dyanmic routing to work? i.e. the system takes all the available TMC alerts on your route and calculates the total time including delays on the current route, then looks at available alternate routes and delays on those routes, then calculates the best route based on route time and delays?

unfortunately mine doesn't do that, and I can't see anyway of enabling it, but the BMW brochure says it does.

I'm chatting with the dealer about it but they aren't the most informed on technology

Gryphon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2004 at 14:08

It certainly seems to do that.  One question though, is your TMC station set as Classic FM?  It's the only one that transmits TMC in the UK, but I seem to remember there is more than one TMC station option in the Beemer system.

I know what you mean about the dealers!!  Technology seems to be leaving them behind, and BMW UK aren't a lot of help either, frequently giving conflicting advice.  Just be grateful it doesn't have iDrive as well - a software update can cause real problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic