Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’95 e36 wind noise @ 50+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’95 e36 wind noise @ 50+
    Posted: 20-December-2004 at 16:03

Just picked up my 318i and i love it....but i have noticed you can really hear the wind in my right ear. I have checked the door and windows (front and back) and the seals are ok and the everything appears to shut properly but it does sound liek something isn't.

Can you just hear that noise there?

I guess the window may not be shutting completely, it does seem to really stick at the top when closing it.

Another un-related question, is the engine suppose to growl like that when you boot it? Not that i'm complaining, it sounds sweet to me

Edited by wald
Sponsored Links

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2004 at 19:12

Hi

Is it a coupe?

Could be the rubber beside window needing replaced or window adjusted

Has it got a induction air filter?

Then it will roar

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
wald View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2004 at 03:33

It's a saloon. Looking at it this morning i hadn't noticed that the window rubber had moved away from the rear vertical edge of the door frame so needed pushing back in so hopefully that was it, maybe time to get my eyes retested

As far as i know it has the standard air filter on, i think i'm just not use to the sound of a 4 cylinder 8 valve engine. My other car is 16v and even though it just roar when i boot it (2.0i 16v Xantia) it just sounds smoother....please let me know if i'm way of mark with that one and talking utter toss!

Wal

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2004 at 03:43

Could be a dodgy door seal with a defect that you can't see with your eye on inspecting it.  The rear door seals on E39s, I believe are prone to failure and noise.  Not sure how you would exactly pin point the noise source.  It might also be a missaligned wing mirror.  If the housing has had a knock it may not be sitting propoerly on the car and disrupting the air flow over the car. 

Originally posted by wald wald wrote:

i think i'm just not use to the sound of a 4 cylinder 8 valve engine. My other car is 16v and even though it just roar when i boot it (2.0i 16v Xantia) it just sounds smoother....please let me know if i'm way of mark with that one and talking utter toss!

Wal

Beamer engines always sound sweet, even the old four pot 8 valve engines. No disrespect but anything would sound sweeter than a Citroen engine!  Its a German thing.  Proper engineering an all that!

I just lurve the sound of my 6 cyl when you make it work.  She is soooooo smooth, much more refined than my previous 6 cyl engine which was a 3.0i 24v Vauxhall Senator, it used to roar more but that was partly due to the dual ram intake and the fact she had 34 more bhp than my beamer.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Wonkydog View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2004 at 16:37
I have the same problem sometimes, opening and re-shutting the door seems to help. Could be the door not shutting JUST enough to make a perfect air seal.
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 05:03
It may have had some work done on the door or
window. I had some work done on mine and had
wind noise at 50+mph.

The window needed adjusting. There are bump
stops for height and a bolt in the middle for angle.
Adjusted mine and it was fine.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic