this

caused this

so much for the quality of our roads.

Sponsored Links

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2004 at 17:58
That looks like a custom made pot hole, we just have craters over here. When i sold my 316i compact 18 months ago it had 3 buckled wheels, you could always try billing the council!
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2004 at 18:25

Sorry to see that Rags, bet ur gutted.

Letter to council claims dept I think ... and quote cost of replacement from the most expensive supplier, in an aim to re-coup some of your pointless RFL expenditure.

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2004 at 19:23
From what i have heard, it sounds like councils are actually quite good at doing this. They were paying out to alot of people.
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2004 at 19:24
i hope so!
J7 VNK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 02:16

Not sure about the councils, but I know the utility contractors pay out without question!!

My Grandad drove into a pothole left by British Gas, they had no signs or barriers around it (kids probably nicked then to use as snowboards ;o) phoned them up and complained, he bust 2 wheels, bumper, front panel, crossmember....blah blah... basically fell in a huge hole with the car!!  they said stick it in the garage and send us the bill!!  didn't even ask for proof, or send anyone out!! (which is bizarre!! probably avoiding some law suit!!)

1999 528iA Sport Pack,Aspen Silver,17" MTech's.
1994 525i Sport, Avus Blue,SOLD (BMWCC Member)
1999 323i SE E46, Black, man, Sports Leather.
My Cars

"BMW's are for life, not just for Christmas"
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 04:09
Yep, put a claim into the council. They will probably send you a letter explaining about the roads budget, how they are improving things all the times etc, etc.....

Good Luck
Phil
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 04:32
Sadly evidence that very low profile tyres/big wheels are not very practical on UK roads.
J7 VNK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 05:44

Good job they're not cheap after market Italian alloy!!  they bend like a paperclip when you drive over a matchstick!!

That's why i refuse to buy aftermarket alloys (unless of course they're good make, AC/Hartge etc..)

1999 528iA Sport Pack,Aspen Silver,17" MTech's.
1994 525i Sport, Avus Blue,SOLD (BMWCC Member)
1999 323i SE E46, Black, man, Sports Leather.
My Cars

"BMW's are for life, not just for Christmas"
OwenE30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 10:43
Hi - I tried to claim from the council for tracking, it went out down a pot hole just after i had it done. £16.00 Three letters later and they basically said no - they cant enter into that sort of thing!!!!!

Surrey!!!!

Cheers

Owen
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 13:09

Originally posted by OwenE30 OwenE30 wrote:

Hi - I tried to claim from the council for tracking, it went out down a pot hole just after i had it done. £16.00 Three letters later and they basically said no - they cant enter into that sort of thing!!!!!

Surrey!!!!

Cheers

Owen

Im sure the smalls claim court would have sorted that, provided you had evidence, receipts, etc.

However you've got to think, is it worth it for £16, I know its mainly the principle of the thing, but think about your time spent writing letters, chasing people, going to the bank to cash the cheque

Tyres alloys yes! ... tracking, hmm .. maybe ... that said you could always try billing for a BMW 4 wheel alingment or whatever they call it at 200 odd £ a session.

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 15:19
Originally posted by Praktisk Praktisk wrote:

Surrey!!!!

Cheers

Owen

Im sure the smalls claim court would have sorted that, provided you had evidence, receipts, etc.

However you've got to think, is it worth it for £16, I know its mainly the principle of the thing, but think about your time spent writing letters, chasing people, going to the bank to cash the cheque

Tyres alloys yes! ... tracking, hmm .. maybe ... that said you could always try billing for a BMW 4 wheel alingment or whatever they call it at 200 odd £ a session.

thats taking the p1ss though!

I am not wanting to take the p1ss, just get compensated for my buggered wheel and tyre

BM3K View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
S50 ZM Coupe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 15:29

Rags I cant see the pics...but if they are the ones you showed me the other day......thats not good....

Guys I found out the other day that both my rear wheels are cracked....beyond repair.......

Had to shell out £££ for a new set......

Must be down to the road conditions....just need to find myself a nice craetor now....shouldnt be to hard round here

"Signatures may contain 1 or more images placed horizontally up to a max total height 150px, max total width 600px, max total size 25k."
1991 Macau converts has gone
Now I've got a ZM Coupe
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2004 at 00:01
Originally posted by Rags Rags wrote:

Originally posted by Praktisk Praktisk wrote:

Surrey!!!!

Cheers

Owen

thats taking the p1ss though!

I am not wanting to take the p1ss, just get compensated for my buggered wheel and tyre

Yeah I know it is Rags.. I was only joking, my point was aimed at how BMW charge 200 quid to do a 'sexed-up' version of tracking on a blummin car.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted sooner or later.

mogart1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2004 at 15:59

HI Rags,

Nasty mess, bet that made a sickening crunch. A friend of mine had the exact same thing in an Audi coupe. He wrote to the council, with pictures of the road and qoutes for a new wheel and strut.

They paid out no problem, so get writing.

I think the only proviso was that the council had to be made previously aware of the problem. This is the same with accidents involving spillages (i.e. nasty 'orrible diesel lakes, or builders muck).

That was Derbyshire borough coucil though, but I'm sure they work to similar guidelines.

M3 S50 Saloon 'Individual'
Richard von Bat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2004 at 12:48

BM3K

The wheels that cracked - we're they the twin spoke alloys as shown in the photo? OE on the E34 M5 and optional extra on the earlier 7 series and E39 5 series?

If so I too had both rear wheels crack on my M5 within 6 months of each other. I returned them to BMW but they were not interested. These wheels are very light and as a result do not think they are very strong. They commented that it was probably the roads I drive on. Mentioned that I drive on the same roads and in the same manner as I have for the past 15 years and that the cars were E28 M5 and E30 M3 over that period!

However what we should realize is that we have never paid more for motoring in this country and never had such poor and deteriorating surfaces since virtually the horse and cart were replaced.

If you notice dissenting voices are starting to make noises but I guess we will have to wait until they become so poor that fatal accidents occour and they throw money at the problem due to public outcry just like the railways but until then keep all tyre and wheel invoices and claim on the local councils.

I broke two new wheels and new tyres on a sticky out kerb, the council paid up and the kerb repaired in a very short time. 

richard
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2004 at 18:36
[QUOTE=Richard von Bat]

If you notice dissenting voices are starting to make noises but I guess we will have to wait until they become so poor that fatal accidents occour and they throw money at the problem due to public outcry just like the railways but until then keep all tyre and wheel invoices and claim on the local councils.

QUOTE]

What?? You mean accidents that are not being caused by Speeding?? They can't put another camera up??

Like I said in another post, the people of London voted Red Ken back in - what chance do car drivers have??

James
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2004 at 21:35

none.

and a lucky bugger like me has to live in a london borough where that moron is deciding to extend the congestion charge into. Does he not realise that he is a first class moron. I wonder if he has ever caught the tube in the morning.

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2004 at 06:34
one point to remember when pursuing local authorities in connection with damage caused by speed humps, potholes etc...

usually, any monies to be paid out come from the council's insurers, so the council is under an obligation to deny liability in the first instance - this is to make you go away

always assume that you will have to be very persistent and make it clear from the outset that you do not intend to roll over and die

in the cases where the council has just paid up with out argument as reported above i think it likely that the offending pot hole has already been the subject of a claim so the council cannot argue the point
ultegra View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
I Hate Sunday Lunch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2005 at 10:35
On this last point, remember that FOIA comes into force today: you have a LEGAL RIGHT to get copies of ALL RELEVANT DOCUMENTATION from public bodies [Councils included]. ie they have to disclose details of previous claims for this kind of thing [nb that people's names and addresses will be blacked out to satisfy data protection but only the names and addresses - they still have to divulge].

Edited by ultegra
Chris Enright
M Coupe Silver
ex M Coupe Black
ex 318is Silver
318is White
ex M3 GT
ex 318is Red
ex 318is Blue
316i shell - watch this space...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic