Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHello E38 owners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello E38 owners
    Posted: 15-October-2002 at 23:55

Hi all,

I thought I would start things off and say hello. I currently own a BMW 750iL that I have about 3 weeks and I am delighted. Previously, I have only really had Vauxhalls but always fancied n E38 since I saw one at Brands Hatch in August 1994.

I have a few plans but you should be able to see them at the link below. My other passion is the Lotus Carlton.

TTFN

Sponsored Links

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2002 at 09:14

How do the 2 compare, not in performance but in luxury terms?

Although I know the performance of the Carlton is stupendous, but the 750 is no slouch though.

Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2002 at 22:30
Having owned both over the years (I still have a Monza and an E38 728i), the Carlton did not have quite the comfort of the 728, though it had more extras for the money. A journey of 500 miles in the day was commonplace in both cars, and I was not over tired at the end. The 728 does a bit more to the gallon, and is a lot quieter. performance is also better on the 728. In terms of extras for £s the Carlton (top end model) just wins out, but for sheer driving experience, get a 728i if you can afford it.
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
V12EGO View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2002 at 23:09

The 750iL is no slouch, that is for sure, and it is definately quicker than the Omega I have just sold (pics at www.pj-models.co.uk).

The Lotus is something special like the M635 CSi or the M1. There will never be another car like any of them and they remain legendary. Standard Carltons are well put together but the LC is a little flakey but, it's like everything from Lotus, you tolerate it because of what it is. It can still hold it's own against the E39 M5 and the Audi RS6 (see October edition of EVO magazine).

Howard, remember me? "Omega Man" from the NEC in May 2000. I hope bygones can be bygones. How is the Monza?

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2002 at 12:02

What Monza's are they? My Dad used to have a 3.0E and then the GSi, before that a Senator, really nice and punchy they were.

I agree about the LC, seen one or two near me (on the way to work) and they look incredibly solid, at certain angles, they appear to be made out of stone! (the footprint of the tyres are quite something)

Silver735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2002 at 18:56
About a year ago, I changed my Omega MV6 (2000/W) for a 1996/P 735i.  I have to say that, even though the ride is softer on the BMW, the performance is easily on a par with the MV6 and the levels of comfort are far superior.  Also, believe it or not, I am getting a higher MPG with the BM (26-27 mpg, compared with 25ish from the Omega!).  I am hooked. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic