Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVibration felt through whole car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 14:59

a bit extreme Phil....I suppose if you're not happy then you go with it..

I'm getting my exhaust finally sorted tomorrow and the arms/bushes done Tuesday, so I'm hoping Wed I'll be driving mine and it will feel like a 2003 car????

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)

Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 15:49

I know its a bit extreme really, but I have spent upwards of £600 and its still not fixed, its done 129k miles...how much do I spend?? It needs 4 new tyres at about £400 so I just had enough. Surely better to put money into something else? It woudnt bother me  but I do a 120 mile round trip every day and of course the vibration is at its worst between 70 and 90...so I either do 60 (too slow) OR 100..which is great but risky

So thats it..528 here I come. And from what I read the consumption will be no worse and some say better. We will see. I will keep my fingers crossed for you Toxic...

Philip
jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2005 at 16:36

Hi phillip sorry to hear about your problems with your 520i .I own a e39 528ise best car ive ever had ! smooth torquey straight six,comftable capable cruiser ENJOY!

Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2005 at 05:15
Well I brought it home with me last night...12 monts MOT and 30, yes 30 months platinum warranty (probably crap but well) and 6 months tax. When I drove it it had terrible brake judder sad.gif which he said he would fix. Now call me cynical but a) the garage is 70 miles away and did't want to return and  would rather get it done myself. So he gave me £200 in cash. Last time I had them done on my old car they were £180 so I am happy with that. And having driven it to work this morning what a beast hey...overtook someone who was going 30 and the ASC light came on biggrin.gif , now in the 520 that never happened. I love it and it feels so much "newer". Happy me and I must thank all you guys for your advice and help...
Philip
jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2005 at 06:17

Hi phllip glad you are enjoying your car!.You will find that if you drive quite enthusiasticly the asc will come on easily! Only time i find it annoying is when at a roundabout when its wet and you need to pull away quickly it cuts the power for a few seconds,mind you beats sitting ther with both wheels spinning !. Maybe you can post some pic's when you have some .ENJOY.

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2005 at 04:12

Update on my exhaust....it appears the new cat I got fitted has failed already....it is buzzing away underneath and is making a rattling sound where the 2 pipes merge into one.  I got a replacement one from the supplier so it's going in Thursday night.

Just got car back last night after both front thrust arms and bushes replaced and left control arm replaced.  Front end now a lot more solid and tighter and car feels a lot sharper over bumps & uneven surfaces.  The rolling vibration has definately almost completely gone.  When the credit card has had time to recover, I think a new set of boots should make it even better.

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2005 at 10:52

Tom,

As you know i had all 4 tyres replaced in my quest to cure the vibration.  I went back to the original tyres which are Conti Eco Contacts.  I had my car from new so I know for sure they are the original equipment.  My wheels although a different style to yours are exactly the same size.  The tyre size is 225/55/16.  My original set lasted 33000 miles. I decided to fit Fulda extremos (directional aquatread type) as replacements on advice from a mate.  Right from the start it was a bad decision.  They were terrible for tramlining and my fuel consumption went through the roof.  i.e on the 800 mile round trip from Oxfordshire to Scotland which i do around 5 times per year I'd get approx 34mpg at around 90mph depending on wind direction and wet roads.  With the Fuldas I was only getting 29 mpg on the same journey.  I saved £40 on the set of tyres but calculated that over 33000 miles they'd cost me about £1000 more in fuel.  Now I have new Contis back on, the difference is amazing.  The steering and directional stability is so much better and the economy has improved already.  The ride is smoother and so much quieter it is unbelieveable.  So my advice is get the Contis.  You won't be dissapointed.  They are what the car was meant to have and it really shows.  I didn't think tyres could make such a difference.  Now I know better.

Hope this helps

Alex

Edited by Alex B
Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2005 at 15:02

Finally got the car back today with a 2nd cat fitted to it...

Much improvement.  The vibration from revving is all but eliminated, but the cat reverberates a little...probably due to the fact I was too scabby to buy an OE one.  STill the car is feeling a lot more pleasurable to drive and made me realise why I bough the car in teh first place.

Now to bring me back the first cat to the supplier and try and get me money back.

This was also in the same day I was offered a '01 520i (2.2l), black with tan leather interiror and M-pack with lower than avg mileage for €26k.  I thought about it for an hour but resisted.  If it wasn't for a house purchase going through in the next month, I'd have had it next week.  SO if anybody is interested, let me know.  I've just seen the car a couple times, never drove it but is immaculate with FSH.  It'll be going to a BMW dealer soon to get traded in for a newer model.

Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 21:39

Hi guys, just a quick one. Working in a wheel and tyre centre i come across this problem all the time.

When the vibration is felt through the entire vehicle then the problem is most definately at the rear.

If you have had your wheels balanced then do this and let me know

look to see if you have bang on weights on the inside and outside of the rim?

If not, do you have stick on weights on the inside of the rim but on the inner and outer edges?

If not are the weights just being put in one strip in the centre of the rim?

Check all four wheels

Any damaged wheel needs to removed from the vehicle immediately. you will be very surprised how bad a vibration can be caused from even minor flat spots on a rim.

Has anybody tried getting up to speed where the vibration can be felt and then slipped into neutral, if the vibration goes away then it's more likely to be engine or prop related, but this would also be felt under acceleration.

If it doesnt go away then the only thing can be is the wheels or tyres.

I once had a coil pack go down. That gave a misfire at about 4500 rpm and could easily be mistaken for a vibration. The only test for this is to buy a new coil and test each coil in between test drives. Everyone i know who has had a fault with coil packs and had diagnostic tests done have had the reports come back with no faults.

I'd be interseted to hear how you get on

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2005 at 05:00
Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)