Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked320 i running probs....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 320 i running probs....
    Posted: 30-March-2003 at 15:12

Hi all, wondered if anyone has experience of the following faults on a 1990 ish 320i, the other day the car failed to start, cranked over fine but would not fire, has had all parts such as distributer cap and leads etc renewed a couple of thousand miles ago, in the end it fired after about 10 attempts and spluttered for a while before settling down, and also recently when pulling up at junctions the car has been idling too high at about 1200rpm, does this mostly when warm, after a few minutes of doing this it suddenly will drop the revs back to the correct 700 rpm or thereabouts.

any ideas anyone!??

David

E30 320I SE
Sponsored Links

Topspark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2003 at 09:44
I had the same problem with my 89 320i SE a few weeks ago. Believe it or not i changed plugs,dizzy cap, rotor arm and air filter. Still struggled to start it . I ended up doing the old warm the plugs up until they were red hot (lots of burnt fingers with six plugs) and this did the trick. I then read a report in the paper that was rumoring that there had been some bad fuel sold a supermarket filling stations!! Have had 3 tanks of fuel thro now and no starting problems. Has any body else had the same problem????
dlg_e30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2003 at 11:44

I always use optimax in mine and seems to be better since a can of stp injector cleaner..

however the car went in for a new idle switch and timing/valveclearances to be done today so will let you know how much better it is after that!

David

E30 320I SE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic